AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Display: Samsung HL67A750 67" LED DLP 1080p HDTV

Blu ray/dvd player: PS3 80Gb

HDTV cable box: Rogers Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4250HD

CD player: Arcam Alpha 7se

A/V Reciever: Yamaha RX-V2600

Front Speakers: Castle Acoustics Chester II

Center Speaker: Castle Acoustics Keep II

Subwoofer: REL Acoustics R-305

Side Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370

Back Surrounds: Paradigm Mini-Monitors

Speaker Wire: Cardas Crosslink 1s, biwired

HDMI and Optical cables: Monoprice generic

CD interconnect cable: Transparent Audio The Link 100

TV stand: Ikea Besta shelf units x3

Universal remote: coming soon



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
hidef, welcome!


Very nice equipment choices!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 67" Samsung LED DLP replaced a 56" Toshiba 56H80 rear projection which had a great 1080i picture. I did not have blu ray going through the Toshiba so i cannot comment on a 1080p comparison but as for 1080i the Samsung is an improvement in every regard except I don't think it creates as natural a picture as the Toshiba...things look a bit more "cartoony" on the Samsung. The only other complaint is that I can see a bit more "noise" on the Samsung in both HD cable tv and in blu ray playback and I'm not sure why that is maybe my HDMI cables? 1080p looks outstanding on the Samsung... with a very detailed, natural coloured picture with deep blacks. I have a 32" Toshiba Regza and a 50" Panasonic Plasma and the Samsung is my favorite out of the three and it makes the 50" Plasma look tiny.


HL67A750 positives:

-Size/Price ratio is unbeatable

-tons of picture settings to fool around with to optimize your preference

-great out of box colour, detail, black levels and very bright

-no colour wheel or bulb replacement

HL67A750 negatives:

-there is a slight hotspot for viewing angles both vertically and horizontally but nothing serious

-in a complete darkened room and when I am tired I have seen a few rainbow effects but nothing serious

-I did find a very tiny (1/2 size of a pencil eraser) circular smudge mark or piece of dust which is in between the screen that is noticiable on bright scenes. I tried cleaning it from the screen both inside the tv and on the outside with no luck. (I am the only one who sees it) so it is not a bother to me right now but I am scared of further debris (dust or whatever) to cause future such marks.


All in all, I am very impresssed with the Samsung. I could of purchased 2 of these 67 inchers for the price of my 50" plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaycurse /forum/post/15433575


Do you remember the brand/model of the carpet? I am looking for flooring to finally finish my HT/bedroom/lounge. Your setup is really nice.

I may have the carpet spec/brand filed away...I will let you know. It is an awesome carpet (kinda looks like theatre carpeting)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefvics /forum/post/15429838


The 67" Samsung LED DLP replaced a 56" Toshiba 56H80 rear projection which had a great 1080i picture. I did not have blu ray going through the Toshiba so i cannot comment on a 1080p comparison but as for 1080i the Samsung is an improvement in every regard except I don't think it creates as natural a picture as the Toshiba...things look a bit more "cartoony" on the Samsung. The only other complaint is that I can see a bit more "noise" on the Samsung in both HD cable tv and in blu ray playback and I'm not sure why that is maybe my HDMI cables? 1080p looks outstanding on the Samsung... with a very detailed, natural coloured picture with deep blacks. I have a 32" Toshiba Regza and a 50" Panasonic Plasma and the Samsung is my favorite out of the three and it makes the 50" Plasma look tiny.


HL67A750 positives:

-Size/Price ratio is unbeatable

-tons of picture settings to fool around with to optimize your preference

-great out of box colour, detail, black levels and very bright

-no colour wheel or bulb replacement

HL67A750 negatives:

-there is a slight hotspot for viewing angles both vertically and horizontally but nothing serious

-in a complete darkened room and when I am tired I have seen a few rainbow effects but nothing serious

-I did find a very tiny (1/2 size of a pencil eraser) circular smudge mark or piece of dust which is in between the screen that is noticiable on bright scenes. I tried cleaning it from the screen both inside the tv and on the outside with no luck. (I am the only one who sees it) so it is not a bother to me right now but I am scared of further debris (dust or whatever) to cause future such marks.


All in all, I am very impresssed with the Samsung. I could of purchased 2 of these 67 inchers for the price of my 50" plasma.


THanks for the feedback, I was just showing my wife your post and we got a kick out of because we currently have the exact same Toshiba set that we are looking to upgrade. Its hard to justify because the Toshiba works great and has a awesome picture, but does not support 1080p and I want to go a tab bit bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I cashed in my airmiles for a PS3 so needed a 1080p capable tv to go along with it and although the Toshiba was a great tv (7 yrs old) and still had a fantastic picture I was due for a new one.


here are a few more pics of my basement...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts

Quote:
here are a few more pics of my basement...

Very Nice Setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefvics /forum/post/15434614


Ya, I cashed in my airmiles for a PS3 so needed a 1080p capable tv to go along with it and although the Toshiba was a great tv (7 yrs old) and still had a fantastic picture I was due for a new one.


here are a few more pics of my basement...


What did you do with your Toshiba? I was thinking about putting it on Craigslist but I am not sure what its worth.


I love your basement, it is pretty close to how mine looks. The wife and I are re-doing it so I will post pictures when it is done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefvics /forum/post/15435275


I still have it and has been listed for sale on kijiji for $500 Canadian for the past 6 weeks with no takers...probably because it wieghs 325lbs

paid $5,000 for it 7 yrs ago.


That about what I paid back in 2001. My basement is very similar to yours, like I said the wife and I are re-modeling it, to be more of a home theater. Everyone is giving me crap for wanting the 67 LED DLP, but to get anything in that size (LCD/Plamsa) it would cost me a fortune and I don't want to go from a 57" down to anything smaller. Plus I am not keen on the idea of a projector. What sold you on the Samsung LED DLP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 /forum/post/15435342


What sold you on the Samsung LED DLP?

#1 The discussions on this forum about the HL67A750 (mostly pertaining to picture quality)

#2 The cost per inch...wanted as big as possible with very good to excellent 1080p picture quality for the cheapest (I was originally hoping to get a 100" fixed screen and 1080p front projector)


basically, the Samsung was the largest 1080p display within my budget...


(using what I paid in Canadian pricing including taxes)

2001 56" 1080i Toshiba 56H80 Rear Projection CRT... $98 per inch (Basement, replaced with the Samsung)

2006 50" 1080i/720p Panasonic 50PX60U Plasma $96 per inch (Living Room)

2007 32" 1080i/720p Toshiba Regza LCD... $47 per inch (Bedroom)

2008 67" 1080p/1080i/720p Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP RP... $37 per inch (Basement)


2008 100" 1080p front projector and Stewartfilm fixed screen...would of been approx $90 per inch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaycurse /forum/post/15433575


Do you remember the brand/model of the carpet? I am looking for flooring to finally finish my HT/bedroom/lounge. Your setup is really nice.

here is the specification on my carpeting...

http://www.designerpages.com/product...9-fusion-50786


Product description

Manufacturer: Shaw Contract

style: fusion | 50786

color: koro | 86310

product type: broadloom

texture: pattern loop

fiber: 72% ECO SOLUTION Q PREMIUM BRANDED NYLON - 28% SPACE DYED NYLON

backing: classicbac

dye method: solution dyed

face weight: 30 oz.

warranty: ten year commercial limited warranty for classicbac backing system

collection:
 

·
Registered
Marantz AV7702 MkII, Sony 75X95J, Anthem MCA 20 & 5, Panny UB900, Xbox One, Klipsch Icon WF 7.1
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
Hello hidefvics.


Happy New year to you and family.


When you posted the first 2 photos, I thought, "Has potential! I wish he would attach some photos of the rest of the room."

And so you did. And I'm glad you did. The first two photos really didn't do your setup justice. What a great room. Love the color scheme. And the lay out is very clean and balanced.


You are very smart to go with the 67" Samsung LED DLP! No doubt, more bang for the buck!


The only thing I would change is the location of the media collection. IMO, The DVD's seem to compete with the DLP. But that's just me.

Other than that, beautiful arrangement. Oh yeah, the remotes!
I can assure you that a good universal would make life so much easier. The efficiency alone would breathe new life into your setup! For me, my system is built around the capability of my remote.


If you've already invested in a universal, please disregard the last critique!



Regards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/15443478


.........................

The first two photos really didn't do your setup justice. What a great room. Love the color scheme. And the lay out is very clean and balanced.

I couldn't agree more, from the first two pics the room looks small!!! I'm glad you posted more photos, I totally dig the bar!! Very nice room indeed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys...here are some more shots (for some reason camera is not producing very good pics though)


Basement is 18' x 32' (not including the bar area)


-you may notice the receptacle and HDMI wire in the ceiling above the couch...one day.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefvics /forum/post/15446678


Thanks for the compliments guys...here are some more shots (for some reason camera is not producing very good pics though)


Basement is 18' x 32' (not including the bar area)


-you may notice the receptacle and HDMI wire in the ceiling above the couch...one day.


Thanks again hidefvics for posting your basement. I hope you dont mind, but I using your pictures as a base for my basement. The wife and I just bought a new house and hate the basement. It does have alot of potential, already has a wet bar but it looks so outdated


Here is my current basement:
www.jericko.net before the remodel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Wow, very impressive room hidefvics! I love the carpet, the contrasting dark color on the walls, and all the little details all around the room. I love the bar too (even though we don't drink). It seems you have the perfect setup for a nice big party with lots of friends.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top