AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* Wouldn't you know it, put in a brand new bulb yesterday and the projector dies today. Are their any new projectors that would be considered an upgrade to the Benq-1070 and still around the $1000 mark? Or am i better off just buying another 1070?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
There are some projectors that can tie with the w1070 in some regards but nothing that can noticeably beat it until you jump into the $1700-2000 price category with something like the Sony hw40.

How many hours did the previous w1070 survive till?
Might there be a chance of reviving it before buying something new?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some projectors that can tie with the w1070 in some regards but nothing that can noticeably beat it until you jump into the $1700-2000 price category with something like the Sony hw40.

How many hours did the previous w1070 survive till?
Might there be a chance of reviving it before buying something new?

I put tons of hours on it. I run it 24/7 and have had it for 2 and a half years. I'm not complaining about the projector by any means, I just figured since it's 3 years old now their might be a better one available. Not a big deal if i have to buy the same one again.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I put tons of hours on it. I run it 24/7 and have had it for 2 and a half years. I'm not complaining about the projector by any means, I just figured since it's 3 years old now their might be a better one available. Not a big deal if i have to buy the same one again.
Whew, current 1070 owners can sigh in relief. :D
The thing that keeps it so consistently good is twofold. Until $2000 LCoS and similarly priced high-end LCD drop their prices in half, DLP will always have a huge contrast advantage at this price..while there's no way to significantly improv DLP contrast (besides putting a second chip into the single lightpath), there's also practically no way to make even a cheap DLP have significantly worse contrast, so cheap and expensive ones all have roughly similar contrast to a decent professional cinema.

The second part is that the w1070 happens to be a particularly accurate RGBRGB style DLP which has sadly become a rare thing despite it literally costing nothing more to make and obviously performing better than the competition because of it.

If you can get away with losing some brightness and 3D, the LG pf1500 is a LED DLP that may offer a little more longevity, though it sounds like the w1070 held up for quite a long time too. Any respectable LED unit should last 15,000-20,000hours, but the pf1500 costs about $300 more than the Benq and also loses some placement flexibility as well as 3D and a decent chunk of brightness to start.
For the price of the w1070, it's really hard to match even including lamp replacement prices.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
What about the HT1075?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whew, current 1070 owners can sigh in relief. :D
The thing that keeps it so consistently good is twofold. Until $2000 LCoS and similarly priced high-end LCD drop their prices in half, DLP will always have a huge contrast advantage at this price..while there's no way to significantly improv DLP contrast (besides putting a second chip into the single lightpath), there's also practically no way to make even a cheap DLP have significantly worse contrast, so cheap and expensive ones all have roughly similar contrast to a decent professional cinema.

The second part is that the w1070 happens to be a particularly accurate RGBRGB style DLP which has sadly become a rare thing despite it literally costing nothing more to make and obviously performing better than the competition because of it.

If you can get away with losing some brightness and 3D, the LG pf1500 is a LED DLP that may offer a little more longevity, though it sounds like the w1070 held up for quite a long time too. Any respectable LED unit should last 15,000-20,000hours, but the pf1500 costs about $300 more than the Benq and also loses some placement flexibility as well as 3D and a decent chunk of brightness to start.
For the price of the w1070, it's really hard to match even including lamp replacement prices.
thx for the advice and info. think I'll just go a head and purchase another 1070. Hopefully by the time this new one goes they'll be an upgrade worth while.

·
Registered
245 Posts
*sigh* Wouldn't you know it, put in a brand new bulb yesterday and the projector dies today. Are their any new projectors that would be considered an upgrade to the Benq-1070 and still around the $1000 mark? Or am i better off just buying another 1070?
How did it die? Did it refuse to start up? Was there a power surge that killed it? If you were running it 24/7 that is certainly a factor of how it died. I'll take it, if you don't want it?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Did you put a genuine lamp in it or a "compatible" lamp ? Did you try putting the old lamp back in, or did the previous lamp explode ? If you replaced it just because it was dim, it would be worth knowing if the projector behaves the same with old lamp and new.

Reactions: Jeratt

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you put a genuine lamp in it or a "compatible" lamp ? Did you try putting the old lamp back in, or did the previous lamp explode ? If you replaced it just because it was dim, it would be worth knowing if the projector behaves the same with old lamp and new.
I thought the same thing and did indeed put the old bulb back in just to make sure it wasn't a faulty new bulb...it wasn't.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I thought the same thing and did indeed put the old bulb back in just to make sure it wasn't a faulty new bulb...it wasn't.
If you are going to put that many hours on a projector, you might consider the Benq HC1200 instead of another W1070. It is $900 vs. $700, but it is brighter and comes with a 3 year warranty. It has no lens shift, slightly longer throw, and the bulbs are more expensive, but the warranty might be worth it to you if it fits your space.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did it die? Did it refuse to start up? Was there a power surge that killed it? If you were running it 24/7 that is certainly a factor of how it died. I'll take it, if you don't want it?
it was simply just running, suddenly made some weird noises, screen turned green and boom no light. I do indeed run it 24/7 and in no way blaming the projector or Benq for it's death. In fact I will be purchasing another one tonight and will be fine if this one only goes 2 1/2 years as well...and yes I still want it lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are going to put that many hours on a projector, you might consider the Benq HC1200 instead of another W1070. It is $900 vs. $700, but it is brighter and comes with a 3 year warranty. It has no lens shift, slightly longer throw, and the bulbs are more expensive, but the warranty might be worth it to you if it fits your space.
thx for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into that.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Were you on the third or fourth replacement lamp?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Weird noises in a DLP almost always mean the color wheel. While it's a clever solution to their problem, it's also one of the most likely parts to fail because of it's constant motion.

Reactions: Jeratt

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weird noises in a DLP almost always mean the color wheel. While it's a clever solution to their problem, it's also one of the most likely parts to fail because of it's constant motion.
You're probably right, my screen did turn green for a couple seconds before it died.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So I just cracked it open to take a peak and it looks like a broken color wheel indeed.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
It would be much cheaper to fix your current projector than buy a new one.

The most you'll pay is 100-150 I bet. I had to get my w1070 repaired for a broken color wheel. Still far cheaper than buying a new one.

/disposable culture.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It would be much cheaper to fix your current projector than buy a new one.

The most you'll pay is 100-150 I bet. I had to get my w1070 repaired for a broken color wheel. Still far cheaper than buying a new one.

/disposable culture.
Where does a guy get that done?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts