AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Best Buy this weekend and they had two sales overlapping for some reason. First there was their normal sale running through Saturday to get two free HD DVDs with a player. However, this was overlapped by a wekend only sale for 20% off of an HD or BD player. Interestingly enough, I spotted a few A3s and A30s going out the door. Additionally, There was a BD rep there (really nice guy) and we were talking about the Warner decision, etc. I asked him about how the 20% sale was going and he told me that the sale was not moving many BD players but he had helped sell a few. He did tell me that the HD players were indeed flying off the shelves due to the two overlapping sales, and that the price was probably a factor.

Don't read this as a comeback story for HD (this is to all of the BD fans that will be here shortly) as I think ultimately BD will be the most successful format. However, given the reduced pricing on hardware and the upcoming reduction of software prices, it looks entirely possible to me that HD may carve itself some kind of niche within the niche that is HD Media.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Yeah...there will be lots of nicer up-converts/hi-def players in homes if stores keep reducing inventory at low low prices.

Hopefully if there were any newbs walking out with one, they don't get upset when May hits and they are suddenly without the option to buy new Warner titles...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
If the current HD DVD promotions led to LOTS of Toshibas in homes (such as several million SA players), could/would WB re-evaluate it's HDM decision?

Could end up a fairly sizable niche that could be well-served.

The BDA really needs to tackle this price situation soon. Price-conscious folks appear to be jumping in en masse for a "dead" format. My local CC & BB appear to have sold out (or close to it) of their Toshiba stock.

Uni/Para/DW also need to step up HDM releases quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.