AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some good news/bad news yesterday. My Pioneer Elite Pro-1009W (a NTSC widescreen, but outstanding) has been having some problems since last spring and last week finally went totally, irrevicably out of convergence. My A/V retailer has an outstanding service department, and has been trying to fix the set through small corrections for awhile, but finally informed me yesterday that they would need to replace the entire convergence board, at a total parts and labor cost of almost $1K!!!

That was the bad news. Another part of the bad news is that my wife thinks it is ridiculous to spend that much fixing a TV that cost us $5500 only 3.5 years ago.

The good news? There are several:

- My A/V dealer has offered to give me a very good turn in credit on the 1009W (details pending);

- They are having a "open house" with the new 2002 models and special pricing this weekend, starting tonight;

- My wife suggested yesterday that I should go to the open house and determine what kind of overall deal we could get.

Okay, not all good, but I have waiting for a decent opening to upgrade to HDTV. I have been watching downgraded pictures off of my DTC100 for quite some time now. My only dillema now is how much to stretch my budget here and what I really, really want. I love the Elites, but the Sony XBR2s are looking pretty nice as well. There is always the Pioneer line, but my wife is concerned that it won't match all of the other "urishi black" furniture, speakers, and equipment that we have otherwise.

So, any opinions on what I should go for? My budget is not what it used to be in the "dot com" era, but given a decent turn-in on the other set I should be able to get something at least as large (55"), with a nice NTSC picture and true ATSC picture.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you can get a credit on your old unit I would say trade up to HDTV. There are a lot of 55" 16x9 units that sell for $2500 to $2999 at Best Buy. I am partial to Toshiba. I have a 65" 16x9 Toshiba (TW65X81 - 2000 year model) this years equivalent model is the 65H81.

To fix you would spend $1000 for a SDTV. If, say, they gave you a $1000 allowance you can go 55" HDTV for $1500 to $2000, or 65" HDTV for $2000 to $2500.

Good Luck.

Rick R

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.