The lovable, and funny Portokalos family is back, and as uncontrollable as ever in the long-awaited follow-up to the highest-grossing romantic comedy of all time.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2016
MPAA Rating:
Feature running time:
Genre:

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect:
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s):
Subtitles:
Starring: Nia Vardalos, John Corbett, Lainie Kazan, Michael Constantine, Gia Carides, Louis Mandylor, Andrea Martin, Joey Fatone
Directed by: Kirk Jones
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Written by:Nia Vardalos
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 21, 2016
"Who says there's no romance after marriage?"
My Take:

Toula and Ian have raised their daughter Paris in the bosom of her extended Greek family. But the now 17-year-old is eager to set out on her own. When an unexpected wedding threatens to disrupt the clan’s delicate balance, it can either bring them all together or put them all at odds in a heartwarming family comedy.

Being a huge fan of My Big Fat Greek Wedding I was quite interested when I learned that a sequel was coming out. My hopes were laid low when I saw the trailer, which didn't leave me with a burning desire to venture out to see it in the theater, so I waited for it to come to home video. As I sat and watched there was a ringing of familiarity with the characters/cast (all returned from the original) which was sort of like visiting an old friend. Unfortunately the script, also penned by Nia Vardalos, lacked focus, originality, and the familial warmth and entertaining spark of romance that made the first film so much fun. To me it seemed like a reach intended to embody the essence of what made the first film special. This film does so by essentially rehashing many of the first film's attributes, built around a noticeably weaker script.

I did have a great time seeing the original cast reprise their roles, and their chemistry, and genuine affection for one another, as well as the characters, and subject matter, is nostalgically pleasing. Be that as it may My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is a misfire that lacks the defining heart, humor and freshness of its predecessor.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some suggestive material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE= 92-100/EXCELLENT= 83-91/GOOD= 74-82/AVERAGE= 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE= under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA
Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting is estimable which enhances depth. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. I didn’t see any obvious signs of video artifacts or extraneous noise.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t worthy of note but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Gag Reel – 4 minutes
  • (HD) My Big Fat Greek Dinner – 14 minute featurette
  • (HD) Making the Greekquel – 11 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy
Final Thoughts:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is the follow-up to 2002's popular My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Unfortunately it's a subpar misfire that lacks the defining heart, humor and freshness of its predecessor. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring gratifying high definition audio/video mated with fair supplemental offering that includes insights and reflections from the cast/crew. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 might be worth considering for nostalgic, diehard fans, but for everyone else, it's best left for checking out on cable television.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802A 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)