AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my settings so that brightness of the menus are kept as dim as possible. This is to prevent burn in. But it seems that the pause advertisement screen ignores my "dim" setting and displays the white text in as bright a white as possible. Probably because it isn't a menu... not sure. But couldn't they have the brightness of their advertisement use the brightness settings I've set up? Is anyone else noticing this? I'm concerned about burn in.

It has been mentioned before that pausing a live image probably would not cause burn in because that particular image is random... you'll never pause at the same screen again. But THIS pause screen keeps coming back. I hit "exit" to make it go away and it comes back after a minute or two. So I'm afraid screen burn in may be an issue with the pause screen.

It would be best if the pause advertisement could utilize the "brightness" settings we've set up on our unit?

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I agree...white is the worst thing they could have put on the pause screen. For a fix, I want (in descending order of best to worst) either:

1. A screen saver

2. No pause screens

3. Rotating pause screens

4. Pause screens that don't appear for 5 minutes

5. Pause screens that have no white in them

6. Almost anything other than what we have

And I want it in my download, tonight.

·
Registered
585 Posts
To avoid screen burn-in, I just use the "Power" button instead of the "Pause" button when playing back recorded programs (I have disk spin-down disabled). This turns off the video signal resulting in a black screen for me. When you turn it back on, you'll be right where you left off.

Unfortunately, his trick doesn't work for pausing live TV. When you turn it back on, you'll be "caught-up" to Live instead of where you were when you powered off, you can, however, rewind to where you left off.

Space

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Broadway, may I humbly suggest that you check the brightness and contrast settings on your TV? I've left my ReplayTV paused for hours at a time on my rear-projection set, and I've never had any burn-in problems. I calibrated my set with Video Essentials.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The solution to burned-in Circle-R's is in returning control to the Replay purchaser.

Let the buyer once again decide the image we wish to pause upon.

Replay-TV was proposed to help us eliminate advertisements. Now it's the source of ads.

Such confused messages are not those of a company poised for success.

Sonic might consider its own benefit in giving its purchasers relief from its compulsory advertisements.

Loss of control is an issue that is MOST sensitive today.

Burn-in of the Circle-R is a serious problem. PLEASE resolve it today.

JH

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jesus dude.. give it a rest. I think by now everyone knows you don't like Pause Ads. Go buy a Tivo or something and quit thread crapping. You've been registered for less than a month, made 4 posts and all of them have been crying over Pause Ads. Find a new crusade or something like getting the color changed on a Pepsi can. That blue is too bright for my eyes. It's giving me burn in.

Good thing you weren't around when there were real, solicited Pause Ads on the Replay. You'd probably have had a coronary.

·
Registered
536 Posts
These pause ad strings are out of control.

TURN OFF YOUR TV if you are going to walk away from it and are worried about screen burn-in. Pretty simple, huh? Yup.

Burn in shouldn't happen after a couple hours on a normal tv. If it did, your tv is messed up.

Also..

KEEP IT IN ONE THREAD!!!! Search for one recently that is on this topic and add your whine to it. There is *NO NEED* to start a new thread!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't think Replay was 'proposed to help us eliminate advertisements.' Replay was developed to give more control over all aspects of watching TV.

Neither of my units 'eliminate' ads; I still have to FF or QS or, amazingly, sometimes I even watch an ad or two.

My units allow ME to eliminate TV ads; same with the pause screen, I can eliminate that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good idea about turning off TV, Rob proposed in yet another thread to remap a pause button on RS 15-1994 to send pause and exit signal to extend an interval to 2 min. To extend this we could program a Pause button to pause and toggle TV power- then it will hide the ad forever...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the ShowStopper going through my home theatre receiver, so its simple to either switch video source, or switch off the reciever, rather than switch off the TV.

I do wish video mute would become standard fare.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It is standard fare..... if you disable spindown then the power switch becomes a defacto pause, audio and video mute switch. When the replay is in the power off mode it outputs video black, it doesn't just shut off.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
These pause ad strings are out of control.

TURN OFF YOUR TV if you are going to walk away from it and are worried about screen burn-in. Pretty simple, huh? Yup.

Burn in shouldn't happen after a couple hours on a normal tv. If it did, your tv is messed up.

Also..

KEEP IT IN ONE THREAD!!!! Search for one recently that is on this topic and add your whine to it. There is *NO NEED* to start a new thread!!
Hey NJChris, no need to shout:D I checked to see if this topic (screen burn in) was addressed in any of the pause screen threads. It wasn't. By your logic, since the topic is ReplayTV, all the messages in this forum should extend from one thread... they're all related to ReplayTV.

If you'd read the historical messages on screen burn in... it happens. Period. I made it clear in my original note that my beef was the BRIGHTNESS, not the pause screen. Therefore, a new topic on the BRIGHTNESS was warranted. I'd be thread crapping if I tried to change the subject of an "I hate pause screens" thread to a "too bright" topic. You don't like it? Don't post! Pretty simple, huh? Yup.

The issue stated is obvious. White is too bright. And it doesn't utilize the low brightness setting I've selected. Hitting "stop" is a good idea, as well as powering off. However, these are all work-arounds IMO to the bigger issue. Because at some point pause will be hit because you thought you were only going away for a few moments (not hours) and you'll come back to your theater system to see the 4000 series ad in the background of all your favorite shows.

·
Registered
351 Posts
maybe that is what replay is hoping for. After all of our tv's have the ad burned in, and it has been that way for a while, we will stop noticing it is there. It will be a constant subliminal ad and eventually we will all feel that in addition to needing to buy a new tv, we will also have the need to buy a $700 replaytv unit as well. Actually, make that two (or more), since you need one for each tv. :mad:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Of course this is just a guess, but I think what really pisses in the cornflakes of those who hate pause ads is not really the burn-in, or anything like that, it's more the loss of control. I'm as vocal as anyone in my dislike of PA's for many reasons, but I think that loss of control over my TV environment is probably what torques me off the most.

Sure, it might seem trivial. Sure I can go read a book instead. All of that is beside the point. It's simply a matter of principle...I don't like someone who doesn't belong messing with the inner workings of my TV environment, period, and as innocent as that may seem it's the kind of thing that can cause normal people to react in a visceral way. I get it, and I'm a bit surprised at the thickness of those who don't. Their elitist ******** attitude is a lot more irritating than any pause screen could ever be.

Those who consider this unimportant seem to be trying to impose their values on others. If it's not important to them then how could it possibly be important to anybody else? What arrogance. They remind me of the people who suggest that rape victims "relax and enjoy it". If you think it's trivial, then just move on to another thread and leave those of us who are concerned about it alone. To some of us, it really is important, and no one who truly is concerned about this gives a rat's hat what those who aren't think.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree with a lot of what you say. But a couple counter points; One thing people don't like is the CONSTANT whining about it. We all know about it, it's been discussed continually since they first introduced the real ad system last year, and it's all been said. Plus, when there are at least three active threads dedicated just to that, plus thread crapping occuring in most of the others, it gets real old real fast. Also, if people did their research before buying the unit, they KNEW that it was part of the deal. I mean I bought the very first unit produced by Replay, before it was well known. I read everything about it that was available on the net and was anxiously waiting for them to be released so I could get one. I paid the $800 for the mid-level unit. But even THEN I knew that advertiser sponsorship was supposed to be part of the deal. They have always said that was part of the plan and would be part of the service at some point. I still chose to get one because the service was 'free' and I was used to the idea of banner ads and such paying for content rich web sites, and let's face it, all of your precious shows are interrupted every 10 minutes for 2-3 minutes worth of ads! It's part of the entire television experience. So the way I looked at it, this unit lets me SKIP hours and hours worth of commercials every week. If I have to see an ad for 10 seconds some time when I happen to pause a show, I think I can live with that. The point is that people KNEW full well when they bought the unit that ads were part of the deal or could/would be at some point. They made the decision to buy it anyway, so DEAL with it. If they didn't know about it, then they didn't do their homework and they cooked their own soup, so again, DEAL with it. It's not like there are any alternatives, because every PVR on the market has ads in one form or place or another. So either sell your unit and go back to the stone age of VCRs or enjoy the unit for what it is and get on with life and stop bitching about something you knew or should have known was there! Geesh...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That's it. You've convinced me. The world as we know it has come to an end.

It's about time, too.

Tell me: is your day ruined if you miss your turn in a revolving door?

I envy you.

Do I like pause ads? No, not particularly.

But, to tell the truth, when I prioritize the issues in my life, this one comes in somewhere above whether to put the TP in the holder so it rolls over or under, and below the fact that the local supermarket waxes their cukes.

If the issue of pause ads ever boiled up to take such a prominent position on my Things to Worry About list, I would have a very stress-free life, indeed, which is the source of my envy for you.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
But, to tell the truth, when I prioritize the issues in my life, this one comes in somewhere above whether to put the TP in the holder so it rolls over or under, and below the fact that the local supermarket waxes their cukes.
Are you a Simpons fan? I LOVED the ep where child protective services took their children away from them after visiting the house. One of the items mentioned on the court order was 'toilet paper installed in improper underhand fashion...'. I was ROTFL for hours.. :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, actually an old Alan Berg fan. (That should date me.)

He did one of his call-in shows on which way to roll the toilet paper one day, and people nearly came to blows over it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.