AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I got my Bikini Destination BD from Netflix and it was in the 20s on a bitterly cold Pennsylvania day. The BD was in the mailbox for several hours before being brought inside.

And, thankfully, there was no damage.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Perhaps the BDA should have listened a bit harder to GE back in 2003. And 2004. And 2005. And 2006.

Water, water, everywhere...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So do these cracks prevent the disc from loading up?

Maybe I'm mistaken but don't the discs start at the inner portion of the disc and play out to the edges?

I have seen these cracks on SD dvd from nflix before, but all of the discs worked properly.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I had this exact same problem with two disks. (Invincible and I forget the other). It was pretty warm when they both arrived so I doubt it was temprature related.

Thankfully the last two have arrived in working order.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/0

I had this exact same problem with two disks. (Invincible and I forget the other). It was pretty warm when they both arrived so I doubt it was temprature related.

I wish I had a cheapo Blu-ray disc so I could do a drop test on its edge. Maybe they're susceptible to chipping when force is applied directly to the edges (as would happen in transit).

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I hope everyone getting a bad disk is notifying Netflix and marking the disk unplayable. I actually write with a marker on the sleeve what the problem is. So far I have not received a cracked Blu-ray.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The last BD that was received from Netflix had two of the corners folded back on itself. This would create a small ridge and with enough pressure could conceivably crack a disc. Fortunately the disc was not damaged.

If anyone has a strain gauge and small press they could do some scientific experiments on CD, DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD to see how they react to various pressures.

How many of you would ship your disc via USPS in the same type sleeve that Netflix uses?

I would have thought Netflix would have used a thin cardboard sleeve. May be the increased postage would not make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just received, from Netflix, a SD DVD with a crack in it. It still played but got hung up in one spot. If I hit FF, it would skip past the spot and continue playing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Received a HD-DVD with the same type of crack on it. Got an error message, cleaned the disk and was able to finish the movie. All my blu-ray queued movies have a long wait next to them.

Norm

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Could very well be the USPS. I have Netflix with regular DVD's....so far no problems, but I'm amazed there isn't more damage considering they ship in what's essentially a plain paper-type envelop. No protection whatsoever.

My real concern will be if I get a hi-def disc format......what will be the availability of these rentals thru Netflix?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Got that same crack on Superman II from Netflix too, but was mostly watchable.

Gamefly uses a cardboard insert to protect their disks, netflix should do this.

Out of the about 300 disks I have rented from Netflix, only 3 have been broken.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a blockbuster online account and I just got a cracked blu-ray movie from the as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuley /forum/post/0

If it's damaged,return it. pointless making a thread complaining about it...your complaining to deaf ears.

Having a bad day, are we?

Seriously, we need this kind of input to see if there is a systemic problem here. If the disks can't survive the normal shipping process Netfilx and BB are in trouble down the road, or shipping costs are going up.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory /forum/post/0

I just cancelled my netflix account. To hell with netflix.

NeFlix is not cracking your disks, they are being cracked in the mail or by customers who crack them and ship them back without notifying NetFlix. It probably won't be any better with any other mail order rental.

I've been a NetFlix customer since 2000 and rarely get a cracked SD DVD. All you have to do is...

- Go to your Queue page

- Click "Report shipping problem"

- Click "Report Problem" next to the problem disc

- Check "The DVD arrived damaged..."

- Indicate that you want a replacement for the same movie

They will ship you another copy of the disc the next business day if it is available, you don't have to wait until they receive the returned cracked disc.

I would recommend opening and inspecting all discs as soon as you receive them. It's really frustrating to leave it sitting around for several days then find out it's cracked when you finally sit down to watch it. I would also recommend against trying to play any cracked disc, especially if it's cracked all the way through. If it comes apart in your expensive Blu-ray player it could do some serious damage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I rent only HD DVDs from Netflix presently and have not seen this particular problem. But a few of them are really scratched up.

One reason I wanted to use the rental service is to see how much damage it takes to make the player misbehave. Many scratched discs play just fine but others will cause the player to hang up.

My bet is the postal service is causing the damage with some sort of machine that processes mail. It might be helpful to know where the damaged discs are being mailed from. This could be the result of one malfunctioning postal sorting machine.

I always report damaged discs to Netflix on line. As a previous poster pointed out they have a very easy method for doing that. I just wonder if they actually toss the bad one in the trash or not.

It is interesting to note that one of the categories when reporting damage is "cracked disc" or something to that affect. I thought that was peculiar until I read this thread.

-Byrd

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I seen my first cracked BD from Netflix, it was Flyboys. Outer edge had small crack. Toward the end of the movie where they take down the German zeppelin the picture froze. Ejected it and cleaned the disc and noticed the crack. It played fine than another stutter but didn't freeze.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Guess I've been lucky so far. I've received 20 to 30 BD discs from Netflix and every one of them played perfectly. I'm in Ohio so it gets pretty cold here. Actually every one of the discs I received look like new with maybe a finger print or two on them that can easily be cleaned. Now regular DVD's are another story.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts