Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan /forum/post/13065746

OK guys. I finished my guide:

How to author MPEG-2 to AVCHD on DVD5

using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6+ with HD pack

without re-encoding MPEG-2 to AVC.

PDF file attached to my post. Feel free to ask any question regarding my guide.

Mozart, since your guide requires reading the data off the AVCHD disk (on DVD5) does that mean you have to have a BD drive on your PC? because a regular DVD drive does not seem to recognize a AVCHD disk, let alone extract data/folders off that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD
Mozart, since your guide requires reading the data off the AVCHD disk (on DVD5) does that mean you have to have a BD drive on your PC? because a regular DVD drive does not seem to recognize a AVCHD disk, let alone extract data/folders off that.
GodobeHD,

No, you don't need BD drive. You need UDF 2.5 drivers. I attached zip file with UDF 5.2 drivers to this post.

UDF Reader v2.5.zip 40.033203125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks very much Mozart, you are Da Man!

Now I am thrilled to report that by following this virtuosic guide put out by Mozart I am able to creat a BluRay with menu on a DVD5 or DVD9 with HDV content (no re-encoding involved), perfectly playable on a PS3.

I never thought creating a commercial like BD with full menu on a ten cent DVD was possible until now. Wow, imagine stamping out your own BD in as little as ten cents a piece with menu and 5.1 suround in highest PQ like that of Planet Earth, all in less than fifteen minute in Ulead! that sure is a lot of fun.

Some correction may be needed in your Guide, Mozart. When I first replaced the first file those five folders as instructed in the guide, the playback in PS3 had problems. Then I simply dump all the files in those five folders in BDMV to AVCHD's BMMV cooresponding folders it worked like a charm, everything just played perfect. Here on the test disk I have five HDV video clips of different lengths totalling about 21min.

·
Registered
656 Posts
GodobeHD,

You are very welcome.

Make sure you don't replace .M2TS files that are used for the menus in the STREAM folder because they are encoded in AVC by Ulead.

Yes, I need update my guide, but I accidentally deleted original Word file. I will see if I can edit PDF.

Correction to my guide is the following:

I wrote that it is only for DVD5 because you wouldn't want to waste blank DVD9 disk. But this is not the case.

You can author DVD9 as long MPEG-2 file fits on double layer DVD, and as long dummy AVC file fits on DVD5.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan /forum/post/13337681

Make sure you don't replace .M2TS files that are used for the menus in the STREAM folder because they are encoded in AVC by Ulead.

That's correct. Those are the only files in Stream folder I didn't replace.

In fact I have an amazing discovery:

as long as the number of chapter (or clips) match, it doesn't matter how long the clip is. So we can have a one minute AVCHD clip with that blue screen and use it for all chapters, because in the end all the AVCHD folder provides is a folder tree and menu files.

I even have another exciting finding:

we can have the same AVCHD shell and use it for all kinds of disks as long as we don't care about seeing the same menu on the PS3. But of course once you enter the menu item the video content would be different.

So the conclusion is: we can have a half a page simple Guide for all red laser BD authoring with or without menu. Basically all you have to do is to creat a AVCHD shell (with or without menu depending on your need) and then simply generate the real files with BDMV in Ulead and then stuff the content in the AVCHD shell.

It seems there is also no need to do the TsRemux double authoring either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've got a Sony SR5 HD Camcorder and the time has come to dump its contents to DVD-R's for archiving and viewing purposes. Just bought a Sony S300 Blu-ray player for this purpose as well.

I've been using the (awful) Sony Picture Motion Browser to burn, and there are many limitations I'm trying to overcome with another piece of software:

1. Unintuitive library. Very un-Picasa like. Clunky.

2. Inability to create professional menu's with titles, chapters, etc. Defaults to the date as the title name, thumbnail defaults to first second of video, etc.

3. Pauses between shots in an event. If there are, say, 30 chapters in an event (birthday party, hit stop/start or pause 30 times, creates 30 files), every time one transitions to another there is a 2 second pause between them. I take a 10 second clip of my son running, pause the camera, then re-start the camera as he runs back to me, there's a 2 second freeze-frame as the DVD-R loads the next file in sequence. Completely destroys the flow of the event with all that pausing/stopping/starting.

Can someone tell me what is the de-facto "best" piece of software for a Windows PC to take 1080i home movies from a Sony SR5 camcorder and burn them to AVCHD files for playback on a Blu-ray player?

Should organize clips very efficiently, should allow for menu's and submenu's for ease of navigation, and should allow 10 minutes of footage of a birthday party without delay's between shots.

If anyone can point me in that direction I'd be much obliged.

TIA

BJ

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I use the sony motion picture browser as well for this and I hate it.

I bought Sony Vegase Studio Platiunm Edition and it can read in AVC HD but it does not let you author avc hd or make avchd dvds with menus (at least as far as I can tell). I hear Vegas Studio Pro (whatever the lates version is, I think it's 8) lets you do this but it is 400 dollar software! No thanks!!! If anyone knows of good software to author AVC HD Im interested as well.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 /forum/post/13237734

No go on either of the Panasonic's. The only stand alone that works using the guide so far is the Sony S-300.

From my testing so far, AVCHD on red laser disk without menu will play in PS3, Sony BDP300, Panasonic BD10 and the Old Samsung BD player (forgot the model).

AVCHD disk with menu will play in PS3, Panasonic BD10 and perhaps Sony BDP300 which sees the disk and plays the sound but no image--I think a little bit tweaking may get it to work.

The players that won't play are Sharp, LG and Samsung dual format players.

I don't know about the others as I haven't tested them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe that several posters with the panasonic bd30 have failed to get the discs to play, with or without menus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD /forum/post/13342199

From my testing so far, AVCHD on red laser disk without menu will play in PS3, Sony BDP300, Panasonic BD10 and the Old Samsung BD player (forgot the model).

AVCHD disk with menu will play in PS3, Panasonic BD10 and perhaps Sony BDP300 which sees the disk and plays the sound but no image--I think a little bit tweaking may get it to work.

The players that won't play are Sharp, LG and Samsung dual format players.

I don't know about the others as I haven't tested them.

·
Registered
548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan /forum/post/13276173

latreche34,

Are those dish videos MPEG2 or MPEG4?

If they are MPEG2, did you run you dish videos through MPEG2Repair or VideoReDo?

How do you get your video, via firewire or some other way?

I get my videos via firewire from cable box. I have occasional green frames flashes on some videos, but most of them are good.

I bought VideoReDo and run every captured MPEG2 file through it. It works great, better than MPEG2Repair.

As you said, HDV plays perfectly in any form from any media.

I think the problem may be with dish videos.

They are MPEG2 I use R-5000HD modification on my MPEG2 HD receiver it uses USB to record to my PC hard drive, they are all run throu videoredo and those green frames are still there even if I convert to M2TS or TS(no sound though), playing those videos on Snazzi Z1350 on my TV play perfectly.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan /forum/post/13341509

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6+ with HD pack. $100.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm

I think Videostudio is supposed to be similar, but allowing for more editing options. Evangelo2 can probably edit with Vegas Studio, but for boltjames having more editing options might be of value. I'm guessing the pause starts a new video and it's probably to be expected that there will be a pause in playback unless the clips are joined. I wouldn't say that the Ulead software necessarily creates professional menus, but if you use their photo editor you can create menus like the AVCHD from the link in my sig. The navigation is certainly not up to something like DVD lab, but it's acceptable for basic menus.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
One thing that I didn't like about the Ulead software was how limited the basic menus were. http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtop...?p=51845#51845 is where I found that it is possible to change the menus by using PhotoImpact. The guide is sort of old but one thing that I found useful is how the program labels objects. There is a program within Photoimpact that can try to label them, but I found it easier to understand how to label menu objects than to use the naming program. You're still confined to Ulead's title menu and optional chapter menu as the basic framework, but it does offer more than the menu editor within MovieFactory/Videostudio.

·
Banned
3,691 Posts
I've been able to use PowerDirector 5.0 to generate a BD-RE disc using BDMV with menus and chapter markers in motion. The audio is 5.1 and everything is great except for one issue that I'm hoping someone knows the answer to.

When I'm watching the end titles (and some motion sequences) there appears to be a very slight stuttering as if some frames are being repeated. I'm thinking this is the result of a pulldown flag being incorrectly set. Is this correct or is there another cause?

The processing chain is: Original .ts file --> .mpg with VideoRedo Plus --> Import to PowerDirector 5.0 (Options of MPEG2 and DD 5.1) --> Burn to BD-RE --> Play on Panasonic BD-10A. Given the speed of the burn I can't imagine that PowerDirector is doing any re-rendering just copying.

When I look at the original video through a MyHD card, the stuttering does not appear.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
That's interesting, I didn't know PowerProducer did AVCHD and BDMV. I suppose it is possible that the authoring software is messing something up. If you want to cut a small clip with VideoRedo and upload it to something like filesend.net I could create a BDMV with Ulead's software for you to try.

·
Banned
3,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/13401985

That's interesting, I didn't know PowerProducer did AVCHD and BDMV. I suppose it is possible that the authoring software is messing something up. If you want to cut a small clip with VideoRedo and upload it to something like filesend.net I could create a BDMV with Ulead's software for you to try.

The new 5.0 version seems to have added BDMV, from what I understand. That part works perfectly. It is good to have the capability with no re-encode.

Let me try a few things tonight and if they don't work, I'll upload. The interesting thing is that the jitters come in pattern almost like the peaks of two waves of different frequencies intersecting occasionally (sorry it would be easier to draw than it is to explain in a sentence).

·
Banned
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 /forum/post/13403644

The new 5.0 version seems to have added BDMV, from what I understand. That part works perfectly. It is good to have the capability with no re-encode.

Let me try a few things tonight and if they don't work, I'll upload. The interesting thing is that the jitters come in pattern almost like the peaks of two waves of different frequencies intersecting occasionally (sorry it would be easier to draw than it is to explain in a sentence).

Do you have any footage from an AVCHD camcorder? If so, can you try to burn it with Power Producer 5 and see if it tries to re-encode it or not? If you want, I can even upload a small file with AVCHD footage for you to try tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
On a related note, I need some help from experts here w/the framerate of an AVC file. It's 1920x1080p, but shows ~19fps via Nero Showtime. It's actually supposed to be 23.976fps. I authored this to Blu-ray anyway and the video playback is choppy as I'd expected.

When I use the latest h264info on the raw h264 file to force 23.976fps and remove 3:2 pulldown flags, h264info either crashes or spits out a file w/garbled video.

Any ideas on how to make the AVC file Blu-ray compliant?

·
Registered
656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/13407280

On a related note, I need some help from experts here w/the framerate of an AVC file. It's 1920x1080p, but shows ~19fps via Nero Showtime. It's actually supposed to be 23.976fps. I authored this to Blu-ray anyway and the video playback is choppy as I'd expected.

When I use the latest h264info on the raw h264 file to force 23.976fps and remove 3:2 pulldown flags, h264info either crashes or spits out a file w/garbled video.

Any ideas on how to make the AVC file Blu-ray compliant?

You can try tsMuxeR. Check out this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134104

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Thanks MozartMan. I tried tsMuxeR, an excellent tool, selecting the video stream and changing the fps to 24000/1001. But, the output file still shows 19fps. Guess I'll keep experimenting.

Update ... The latest version of h264info, alpha 0022, fixes the problem by putting a check in the 'Keep FPS' box.

1161 - 1180 of 2482 Posts