AVS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 2482 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Picked up a Sony BDSP350 player on Black Friday. It plays a hybrid DVD5 TSmuxeR authored disk fine for about a minute and a half, then chokes to a stuttering mess. I returned the player.

I would rename Blu-ray "PS3-Video" because that's the only reliable player for anything not authored on BD-ROM I've seen work. Disappointing.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper /forum/post/15170442

Picked up a Sony BDSP350 player on Black Friday. It plays a hybrid DVD5 TSmuxeR authored disk fine for about a minute and a half, then chokes to a stuttering mess. I returned the player.

I would rename Blu-ray "PS3-Video" because that's the only reliable player for anything not authored on BD-ROM I've seen work. Disappointing.

What was the bitrate of your material? I have done a number hybrid DVDs that were successful. My Sony SP-300 will stutter if the audio rate is too high on DVDs like source material from my Sony HC1 camcorder. Often just changing the audio to Dolby solved the problem. With remuxed Aiptek A-HD+ AVCHD files there is no problem but those bitrates are low anyway. If the bitrates get too high then they probably need to be burned to a Blu-Ray disc which can keep up.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/15171398

What was the bitrate of your material? I have done a number hybrid DVDs that were successful. My Sony SP-300 will stutter if the audio rate is too high on DVDs like source material from my Sony HC1 camcorder. Often just changing the audio to Dolby solved the problem. With remuxed Aiptek A-HD+ AVCHD files there is no problem but those bitrates are low anyway. If the bitrates get too high then they probably need to be burned to a Blu-Ray disc which can keep up.

Brian,

The bitrate was 25 mbps VBR mpeg-2 straight off the Sony Vegas Pro 8.0(c) Blu-ray disk template for native 1920 x 1080. I tried disks authored to both 60/i and 24/p. These are clips from Sony's pro division XDCAM-EX camcorder. The audio bitrate is 448 kbps, 48khz, 16 bit, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround.

I don't know for sure, but Steve Mullen who writes freelance articles about camcorders feels that to play high bitrate from red laser DVD5/9 media, the drive has to spin the disk at 2x speed. Apparently the PS3 can do this, and possibly the standalone players cannot.

You could be right about having to author on Blu-ray media for compatibility with the BDSP350, but successful BD-R and BD-RE playback in general is reported to be spotty as well for many other players.

If the PS3 can do it, I don't see why the capability is not extended to other makes and models.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought a Sylvania blu-ray player this past weekend. It plays prerecorded blu-ray disks fine, but my homemade "AVC-HD" disks written on blank DVDs don't play. My disks are written with the Nero7 in UDF2.5 mode, with files from tsMuxer and reMux. My disks seem to play just fine in Sony PS3 and stand alone players, but not in my Sylvania.

Anybody know a fix for this?

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb8tgy /forum/post/15189645

I bought a Sylvania blu-ray player this past weekend. It plays prerecorded blu-ray disks fine, but my homemade "AVC-HD" disks written on blank DVDs don't play. My disks are written with the Nero7 in UDF2.5 mode, with files from tsMuxer and reMux. My disks seem to play just fine in Sony PS3 and stand alone players, but not in my Sylvania.

Anybody know a fix for this?

Have you asked over in the Sylvania section?

This may be a limitation of the player, not a problem with the disc. Especially if they will play in the PS3.

Or just use the PS3...

Seggers

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper /forum/post/15170442

My opinion is that Blu-ray really was not designed to provide for home-authored HD material. In fact, I think home-authoring likely goes against some copy protection and AACS fee intents of the format. In reading about the different BDMV versions it seems to me that home-authoring of HD video material is really not at all a primary intent of the Blu-ray format.

The only real HD home-authored support from DVD media provided within Blu-ray specs seems to be AVCHD, and of course not all players support that format. tsMuxer disks are not at all limited to AVCHD specs, so it's a mere guessing game of what an individual player might play from tsMuxer. In regards to bitrate, AVCHD ( http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html ) limits DVD media to around 18Mbps and the x264 template uses 16500 for video. The PS3 plays many non-Blu-ray video formats, so it's really little surprise to me that the PS3 happens to play video that other Blu-ray players will not touch. My BDP-S1 happens to play BDMV from DVD, and I fully expect most any newer player I buy will not support everything my current player will play. All I expect a Blu-ray player to play is what it is specified to play, and HD mpeg2 on DVD media is really not within any specification I can find other than maybe BD-5/9. As far as I can tell BD-5/9 falls into the area involving AACS fees, which goes for over $1500 per title.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/15189786

My opinion is that Blu-ray really was not designed to provide for home-authored HD material. In fact, I think home-authoring likely goes against some copy protection and AACS fee intents of the format. In reading about the different BDMV versions it seems to me that home-authoring of HD video material is really not at all a primary intent of the Blu-ray format.

The only real HD home-authored support from DVD media provided within Blu-ray specs seems to be AVCHD, and of course not all players support that format. tsMuxer disks are not at all limited to AVCHD specs, so it's a mere guessing game of what an individual player might play from tsMuxer. In regards to bitrate, AVCHD ( http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html ) limits DVD media to around 18Mbps and the x264 template uses 16500 for video. The PS3 plays many non-Blu-ray video formats, so it's really little surprise to me that the PS3 happens to play video that other Blu-ray players will not touch. My BDP-S1 happens to play BDMV from DVD, and I fully expect most any newer player I buy will not support everything my current player will play. All I expect a Blu-ray player to play is what it is specified to play, and HD mpeg2 on DVD media is really not within any specification I can find other than maybe BD-5/9. As far as I can tell BD-5/9 falls into the area involving AACS fees, which goes for over $1500 per title.

I agree, yet the BDPS-350 did play the disk, both audio and video. It's just that it begins to stutter 30 seconds in. I did see the video work on a BDP-S1, so progress seems headed backwards with the newer models, exactly as you expected.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/14908825

To up the volume, I think you'll need to basically remux/re-encode the audio, so you'll lose a bit in quality. Have a look at this thread at videohelp.com & at this tool .

Have you ever actually used this software? Can you give me any guidance?

I finally found some time to work on this again - trying to raise the volume of the Dolby Digital track on a video that I want to burn to disc. But I'm finding the both the software and the related thread to be rather baffling. The software appears to be intended for some entirely different purpose, and the thread seems to contain a mix of information that spans several years - I can't figure out what's current or make any sense of how to use this tool to accomplish my goal. There are several other tools mentioned in the thread as well, and none of them appear particularly relevant to helping me solve my problem. And the AC3Filter tool that you reference seems to exist in a version today that has little to do with the material in the thread.

Maybe I'm just missing some basic concept, but I feel pretty dense here. Do you (Brajesh) or anyone else know how this is supposed to work?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks to the people on this thread (and tsMuxer and Videoredo) I now have AVCHD discs burned on to DVD+R DL working perfectly on my Panny BD10a. Files are from MyHD Tuner card. My Steps:

1.) Use videoredo to edit .ts files. Output using "quick fix" option under tools. Set the output to .mpg file.

2.) Load the file in TsMuxer. Output as "Create Blu-ray Disc".

3.) Burn on Verbatim DVD+R DL discs using UDF 2.50 file system (Nero).

The origional files are 1920 X 1080i and 1280 X 720p MPEG2 .ts files...

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Just to be technically correct you created a Blu-Ray disc on a regular DVD not an AVCHD disc. AVCHD is a compression standard or high profile h264. The Blu-Ray spec also includes MPEG-2 streams so that is why your disc worked. There are some early Blu-Ray discs using MPEG-2. At least with my Sony BPD-S300 I can even put either a remuxed MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 stream on a regular DVD data disk not UDF and it will play. The weird thing is even if it is a transport stream I have to change the extension to .MPG for it to play. To be clear the disc has to be created in UDF 2.5 only if you have a Blu-Ray disc structure. There is much more discussion on this earlier in this thread.

Some of this takes me back to the AVeL Linkplayer2 days and I should not have been surprised when looking around here I find Sigma Graphics has a hand in Blu-Ray development which they also provided the guts for the Linkplayer2. No wonder these players are setup a bit like the Linkplayer2. Were we Linkplayer2 people beta testers for BD prototypes? They seem to go off the market the same time that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD came on the market.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/15227680

Just to be technically correct you created a Blu-Ray disc on a regular DVD not an AVCHD disc. AVCHD is a compression standard or high profile h264. The Blu-Ray spec also includes MPEG-2 streams so that is why your disc worked. There are some early Blu-Ray discs using MPEG-2. At least with my Sony BPD-S300 I can even put either a remuxed MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 stream on a regular DVD data disk not UDF and it will play. The weird thing is even if it is a transport stream I have to change the extension to .MPG for it to play. To be clear the disc has to be created in UDF 2.5 only if you have a Blu-Ray disc structure. There is much more discussion on this earlier in this thread.

Cool. Thanks for the info...BD9/BD5 Blu-ray Disc it is!

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey /forum/post/15230469

Cool. Thanks for the info...BD9/BD5 Blu-ray Disc it is!

Actually, to be very nit-picky, it's DVD5 (4.7Gb) and DVD9 (8.7GB). BDs are either 25 or 50Gb.

But what's some terminology amongst friends.....

Seggers

·
Registered
656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers /forum/post/15231108

Actually, to be very nit-picky,

Seggers

Actually, BD9/BD5 term (spec) does exist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray...5_Blu-ray_Disc

Quote:
The BD9/BD5 format was originally proposed by Warner Home Video, as a cost-effective alternative to regular Blu-ray Discs.[89] It was adopted as part of the BD-ROM basic format, file system, and AV specifications. BD9/BD5 is similar to 3× DVD for HD DVD.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The following is just background information for where the Steps to convert HDMV to AVCHD came from.

While waiting on some downloads I thought I would see if I could get any idea how the Blu-ray output for tsMuxer/TsRemux is any different than AVCHD or BDMV. From what I had read, TsRemux just took the Nero index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files, so it always surprised me that tsMuxer/TsRemux on DVD media generally seemed compatible with more players. I'm not sure how exactly the Nero files were generated from the online discussion, but unless it was somehow HDAV I figure it wouldn't really matter.

Looking at index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv (attached zip file) in a hex editor they're identical in tsMuxer and TsRemux as suspected. There are a couple differences in the other files, but for now I was trying to just look at the two main files that people had been replacing. Comparing the TsRemux files to the original Nero files shows that only the NV text and some numbers have changed. I figure NV stands for Nero Vision and the numbers were the current version at the time, considering the TsRemux revision has TR and the numbers are similar to the version when introduced.

Looking at my AVCHD and BDMV files from TotalMedia in comparison to the TsRemux files the common item seems to be that they all start with "INDX0100", except for the BDMV. The index.bdmv files all have adr. dec. 15 set to char. dec. 120, except for BDMV. Going by that I was starting to suspect that maybe I could try setting BDMV to reflect those changes.

A google search returned http://chrishatton.homeip.net/bdjfor...?f=7&t=23#p418 The last post in the thread really caught my attention. Step 1 doesn't seem to apply because my stream file from TotalMedia didn't change with ps3bdfix. The very end of step 5 seems unnecessary because I think that's just version text that wouldn't matter. Still, steps 2-7 seem interesting.

"AVCHD-Patcher" in google returns what seems to be a chinese blog from the author. Running the 1.01 version seems to change adr. dec. 15 to char. dec. 148 (rather than 120), and it adds some information to the end of my BDMV's index.bdmv that looks to be very similar to the end of the TsRemux file. The 1.04 version likewise adds the data to the end of the file and changes adr. dec. 15 like the 1.01 version, but it says AVCHD-Patcher instead of the TR text previously mentioned.

What I'm hoping is that I can take my TotalMedia BDMV files, use AVCHD-Patcher on the index.bdmv, change INDX0100 in both files, replace the backup files, and get a DVD media disc with the compatability of tsMuxer with menus. I figure if it doesn't work, I might also change adr. dec. 15 to char. dec. 120 rather than 148 like AVCHD-Patcher is doing. I have zero idea if this will work with the PS3 and players like the Samsung 1500, but it would be really nice to have tsMuxer compatability on DVD with menus. For PS3 owners this might allow you to play HD mpeg2 with menus from DVD, without all the trouble of creating two disks like the previously posted guide.

EDIT: On further inspection it appears I was incorrect about adr. dec. 15, and apparently tsMuxer/TsRemux probably just took index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv from the Nero AVCHD output. Although tsMuxer does not conform to the AVCHD requirement of only using AVC video, it appears that tsMuxer just creates an output that uses base AVCHD files just like the PS3 reports. My point in commenting how tsMuxer creates its files is that the Wiki and doom9 report that tsMuxer/TsRemux create a true BD-5/9, which is most likely false. In my testing tsMuxer does not appear to be any more compatible than typical AVCHD.

index-MovieObject.zip 3.6083984375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/15278213

For PS3 owners this might allow you to play HD mpeg2 with menus from DVD, without all the trouble of creating two disks like the previously posted guide.

Are you poking at my guide on page 38 ?

Now, on a serious note, I downloaded your zip file. But I am not sure what do I have to do. Can you provide specific directions what to do with your files to test with my PS3?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
EDIT: It looks like AVCHD-Patcher 1.06 was changed to take care of steps 4 and 5.

EDIT2: The download at Wirepole's site doesn't seem to work anymore, but the files can be downloaded at http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...d-t370304.html

One use for converting HDMV to AVCHD is for example that it allows the PS3 to play HD mpeg2 video from DVD with menus. tsMuxer can also be used to play HD mpeg2 video as AVCHD from DVD, but tsMuxer doesn't easily allow for the sort of menus that can be created with programs like VideoStudio. The following are steps that seem to work for converting home-authored HDMV to AVCHD. You'll need AVCHD-Patcher ( Download location ) and XVI32 (or another hex editor) to make the conversion.

1) Start with files in Blu-ray HDMV format. There are a number of commercial programs that can create HDMV with menus, and VideoStudio is one example. See The Authoritative Blu-ray Disc (BD) FAQ for a listing of other programs to create HDMV. From reports it seems very likely that BD-J will not work with this method.

2) Run AVCHD-Patcher, go to the /BDMV directory, and drag the index.bdmv file into the patcher. A new window will popup telling you the file has been patched. After you click ok the program will add AVCHD information to the file.

3) Delete the index.bdmv.bak file created by the patcher. It's simply a backup of the original index.bdmv file that is not needed.

4) Run XVI32 and open the index.bdmv file that was changed. You need to edit INDX0200 to read INDX0100. To do this select the 2 in INDX0200 at the top right as shown in the image below. Type the number 1 and save the file.

5) Now open MovieObject.bdmv from the same directory in XVI32. Similar to the last step, change MOBJ0200 to MOBJ100. Change the 2 shown in the image below to a 1, save the file.

6) Copy the revised index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files from /BDMV to /BDMV/BACKUP. You'll need to overwrite the files that are already in the backup directory.

7) Burn the /BDMV folder and sub-folders to a DVD using UDF 2.5 format. Step 4 from this guide shows how to set the disc format with ImgBurn or Nero . AVCHD does not seem to include the /CERTIFICATE folder from HDMV, so I wouldn't include it. The only directories that seem to be in commercial AVCHD are:

/BDMV

/BDMV/BACKUP

/BDMV/BACKUP/CLIPINF

/BDMV/BACKUP/PLAYLIST

/BDMV/CLIPINF

/BDMV/PLAYLIST

/BDMV/STREAM

NOTES:

A) The AVCHD-Patcher program will not change anything if the file is already an AVCHD structure. tsMuxer for example creates an AVCHD file structure when the "Blu-ray" output setting is chosen.

B) Typical consumer software for creating HDMV appears to work fine, but Scenarist is known to default to setting a copy protection indicator (cpi) bit in the BDMV video. PS3bdfix101 can correct the video in the STREAMS directory if the BDMV was created by Scenarist with cpi on. For most programs that create BDMV you will never have to worry about cpi and PS3bdfix101 would make no changes to the video.

C) Steps 3 to 6 are not required for all players, but they're included to make the video more compatible.

D) The complete set of steps for converting HDMV to AVCHD seemed to play on the PS3, BDP-S1, BDP-S500, BDP-S550, BD30, BD35, BD55, BH200, and BD-P1500. The BDP-S550 and BD35 would not play the AVCHD if the hex editing from steps 4 and 5 was not included. The only player I tried that wouldn't play AVCHD was the BD-P2500, but the firmware might not have been current and I know many of the prior Samsungs before the BD-P1400 update were reported as unable to play AVCHD.

·
Registered
656 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It worked!

I used Ulead DMF6+ to author BDMV project using HDV MPEG2 file with AC3 audio. Used menus with animation, transitions, and all other bells and whistles. Then I performed all those steps. Burned to DVD+RW with Nero.

PS3 showed that it was AVCHD disk and played everything.

WOW!

The only difference was that when I loaded MovieObject.bdmv file into XVI32 hex editor it showed MOBJ0200 instead of INDX0200. But I changed 2 to 1 anyway.

WOW!

1641 - 1660 of 2482 Posts