AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 2482 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
alluringreality,

Me also can't really think of many reasons why a Blu-ray related formatting would cause issues. So, I was surprised when I saw differences and procedure of my experiment was so easy that I know it was hard to mistake something. If I find mistake or something else about that I will report. But, we can stop speak about that for now.

Tom,

From your last post (1683) I see you like to experiment too, you give some useful information, and I really appreciate that.

From that post I see that we can be very happy with PS3 when we speak about hybrid AVCHD. Now I also know that If I give my HD video on DVD disc to somebody who has different Blu-ray player (not PS3), it would be better to give him real AVCHD (not hybrid) or maybe hybrid with lower birtrate, because he colud expect problems with 25 mbps mpeg-2.

I tried real AVCHD on PS3 made from my mpeg2 HDV and it look also very good. For me, I will make ful quality videos with 25 mbps mpeg-2 smartrender. One day, I will probably put them all on BD-Rs.

I see you have experience with other Blu-ray players (not only PS3) and I don't.

Is there any difference between PS3 and other Blu-ray players in playing normal BD disc or they more or less look the same and it is hard to notice difference in quality ?

seso

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Seso,

When looking at other BD players, I have no comment. I have not been comparing quality per se, just evaluating compatibility with hybrid disks.

As for AVCHD hybrids, I actually feel it would be more correct if we called them BDMV hybrids. True AVCHD disks are not hybrid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, for me, somethimes is very complicate how should I call THEM, but the most important is that this works. Well, everything what I tried from this forum with them works for me on PS3. Really great forum on only 57 pages. When I first wrote to this forum I called them “dummy” because I liked that term from MozartMan pdf file.

As for PS3 and its quality of playing of BD disc, I monitor also some other forums about PS3 (audio/video, not game) and there is also some smart people there. Some of them tried or have some different Blu-Ray players. Conclusion based on their experiences is that PS3 is: “if not better than equal to some good Blu-ray players” in reproducing video materials. Their conclusions are for viewing materials on SD DVDs and BDs. They also like how PS is upscaling SD.

I also monitor some forums about PS3 new firmwares. There I also found some great information, but very interesting is that there is many very sceptical and careful people who are always afraid that with new firmware something can be “cut-off” by Sony. I also noticed that last PS3 firmwares report things like enhanced DVD, BDAV and some other files playing or upscaling, but long time I didn’t see nothing new like that for BDMV.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seso /forum/post/15362854

There I also found some great information, but very interesting is that there is many very sceptical and careful people who are always afraid that with new firmware something can be cut-off by Sony.

Count me among them.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper /forum/post/15364289

Count me among them.

And after reading the fun with some of the 2.4x fw updates, me too....

Seggers

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is for PAL users much more than NTSC:

I stiil don't have peace with those PAL live snakes so I went again from m2t to AVCHD on PS3.

I didn't find nothing new about snakes but I found something new about 50Hz VIDEO OUTPUT.

It is about how PS3 shows data of audio and video streams (my firmware is 2.52).

50Hz VIDEO OUTPUT is very new option and very welcome for PAL users, so there is nothing here with cut off.

After green triangle and INFO - PS3 always shows right video and audio data about file for PAL and NTSC.

When 50Hz VIDEO OUTPUT is on AUTOMATIC everything is OK for PAL and NTSC AVCHD and m2t.

When 50Hz VIDEO OUTPUT is on 50Hz then:

- when I play PAL and NTSC AVCHD everything is OK

- when I play NTSC m2t everything is OK

- when I play PAL m2t and when I press DISPLAY button on PS3 Blu-Ray remote it shows wrong live readings for video and audio: it should show around 25 Mbps and 384 kbps, but it shows around 30 Mbps and 460 kbps (video has constant birtrate 25 Mbps and 384 kbps)

I tried that on few PAL m2t files.

I suppose it is only wrong reading (bug) and can't be something else ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
On one forum one man said:
Physically, a BD9 is simply a 12 cm DVD-ROM disc with standard 4.7 GB (single-layer) or 8.5 GB (dual-layer) capacities but is fabricated to somewhat tighter specification for dynamic imbalance. It is also spun at three times the normal speed of a DVD resulting in a proportionally higher data transfer rate (33.24 Mbps vs. 11.08 Mbps).

I didn't look for that before and I have never seen specification like that on any DVD-R/RW (that they are fabricated to somewhat tighter specification or for higher data transfer rate - 33.24 Mbps vs. 11.08 Mbps). I have few Verbatim DVD-RWs 4x and more that 20 Verbatim DVD-Rs 16x and I think I probably don't have problems with them and transfer rates (mpeg2 with 25 Mbps).

Should we maybe expect problems with some other (cheaper) DVDs with higher bit rates and are my ordinary Verbatim 16x DVDs OK for that (or there are some better Verbatims or other DVDs) ?

Second question, when you put AVCHD in PS3 it declares itself like AVCHD and you can play it only like that. Normally, you can't go to folders on properly made AVCHD on PS3. Is it maybe any trick to go in AVCHD folders on PS3 and than play m2ts from STREAM folder like data file?

Third question. On some older forums I have read that some people had problems with some Panasonic Blu-Ray players because they didn't play authorized HDV mpeg2 1440x1080 video from BD-R. From their specifcation, those players played only MPEG-4 AVC / SMPTE VC-1 1440x1080 video.

I read Vegas forum and I think that on Vegas forum I never didn't read something like that (because recommendations there are always to render HDV 1440x1080 mpeg2 video like 1440x1080 mpeg 2 and then authorize and burn with menus on BD-R).

So, my question is: can PS3 (and most other Blu-Ray players) play authorized mpeg2 HDV 1440x1080 mpeg2 video from authorized BD-R (in BDMV and BDAV)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Along the lines of this discussion.... I've been testing the new BD Rebuilder Beta ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716 ) which basically allows you to back up a movie only or full blu-ray (including menus) to BD5/9. My first test was a full disc to BD5. I can burn it to a BR-RE and the PS3 plays it fine. But when I burn to a standard DVD-R the PS3 shows it as a data disc (you see a list of files and you can browse and choose an m2ts file and play it but no menus). I then tried to patch it with AVCHD-Patcher - I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do but it now shows as a AVCHD disc but I get "this video cannot be played (80029945)".

Any ideas? Is it even possible to play a full BD5/9 backup on the PS3? I'm using ImgBurn set to UDF 2.50 if that makes a difference....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k /forum/post/15395029

ideas? Is it even possible to play a full BD5/9 backup on the PS3? I'm using ImgBurn set to UDF 2.50 if that makes a difference....

The PS3 will play the AVCHD format from DVD disks, and the video doesn't have to be AVC. You could use tsMuxer to reauthor the video in the STREAMS folder from your disk and output with the Blu-ray option. tsMuxer basically creates an AVCHD format, so unless there's an issue with the video it should play on the PS3. All you have to do is burn the folders from tsMuxer with UDF 2.50 using ImgBurn.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k /forum/post/15395029

I then tried to patch it with AVCHD-Patcher - I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do but it now shows as a AVCHD disc but I get "this video cannot be played (80029945)". ..

There is one more step after the AVCHD-Patcher, to use a hex editor to change one bit in the header of the index.bdmv file and the movieobject.bdmv file. Please see Alluringreality's guide a few posts above.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seso /forum/post/15389145

On one forum one man said:
Physically, a BD9 is simply a 12 cm DVD-ROM disc with standard 4.7 GB (single-layer) or 8.5 GB (dual-layer) capacities but is fabricated to somewhat tighter specification for dynamic imbalance. It is also spun at three times the normal speed of a DVD resulting in a proportionally higher data transfer rate (33.24 Mbps vs. 11.08 Mbps).

I didn't look for that before and I have never seen specification like that on any DVD-R/RW (that they are fabricated to somewhat tighter specification or for higher data transfer rate - 33.24 Mbps vs. 11.08 Mbps). I have few Verbatim DVD-RWs 4x and more that 20 Verbatim DVD-Rs 16x and I think I probably don't have problems with them and transfer rates (mpeg2 with 25 Mbps).

Should we maybe expect problems with some other (cheaper) DVDs with higher bit rates and are my ordinary Verbatim 16x DVDs OK for that (or there are some better Verbatims or other DVDs) ?

No particular problems with cheaper media in my experience.

Quote:
Second question, when you put AVCHD in PS3 it declares itself like AVCHD and you can play it only like that. Normally, you can't go to folders on properly made AVCHD on PS3. Is it maybe any trick to go in AVCHD folders on PS3 and than play m2ts from STREAM folder like data file?

You can always just copy files onto a data disk or usb flash.

Quote:
Third question. On some older forums I have read that some people had problems with some Panasonic Blu-Ray players because they didn't play authorized HDV mpeg2 1440x1080 video from BD-R. From their specifcation, those players played only MPEG-4 AVC / SMPTE VC-1 1440x1080 video.

I read Vegas forum and I think that on Vegas forum I never didn't read something like that (because recommendations there are always to render HDV 1440x1080 mpeg2 video like 1440x1080 mpeg 2 and then authorize and burn with menus on BD-R).

So, my question is: can PS3 (and most other Blu-Ray players) play authorized mpeg2 HDV 1440x1080 mpeg2 video from authorized BD-R (in BDMV and BDAV)?

The problem I observed with the Panasonic BD-35 was that it would play HDV mpeg2 1440x1080 from red laser media fine at the full 25mbps bitrate for the first 30 seconds, afterward begin stuttering, freezing and skipping. PS3 never had a problem with this. I believe the issue is what you mentioned at the top, the drive needs to spin the disk at 2x-3x to read the data fast enough. The PS3 can do this, but the others may not. The "fix" for me has been to lower the bitrate but not the quality, by encoding to AVC. But that's my observation for red laser disks, not BD-R.

That would be very discouraging if BD-R is having these problems of not being able to play on Panasonic or other players. Hope that's not the case, but my focus to date has been with the cheaper red laser media.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Tom for answers.

In fact, for third question I also have got positive answer from one man from this forum (on one other thread). He is authoring and burning BD-R discs only with HDV 1440x1080 mpeg2 with menus (in BDMV). He is watching video on PS3 and one other Sony Blu-Ray player without problems.

That older forums in which I have read about some people had problems with some Panasonic Blu-Ray players is very old and from 2006. Perhaps they also now don't have problems with new firmwares.

To rendez2k

I would say him like Tom. To go on page 56 of this forum, to read Alluringreality's guide and to make everything like it is written in that guide. That should work with PS3 unless there's an issue with his video.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK - some questions about PS3 data disc issue again! Can AVCHD discs have more than one title, menu etc? As movie-only discs from BD Rebuilder work fine and show correctly in the PS3 as an AVCHD disc, I'm wondering if the issues I'm having is in the actual specs of the format and the way the PS3 handles it? Whats is the difference between BD-5/9 and AVCHD? If I burn the exact same full disc BD5/9 output folders to BR-RE rather than DVD, the PS3 is more than happy and the disc plays as expected. Does the disc type make a difference? Is the PS3 seeing a DVD and the refusing to play it? Can you trick the PS3 into seeing a DVD-R as a BR-RE?

I had followed the guide including hex editor part and it didn't work (causing the error message) but I am going to retest to make sure I did it correctly. Just to clarify (before I waste hours converting another movie!), should AVCHD-Patcher work on making full BD5 discs (including menus and multiple titles) show correctly as AVCHD discs in the PS3? Does the type of DVD make a difference (eg DVD-RW vs DVD+R?)

·
Registered
4,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k /forum/post/15402650

OK - some questions about PS3 data disc issue again! Can AVCHD discs have more than one title, menu etc?

Yes

Quote:
If I burn the exact same full disc BD5/9 output folders to BR-RE rather than DVD, the PS3 is more than happy and the disc plays as expected. Does the disc type make a difference? Is the PS3 seeing a DVD and the refusing to play it? Can you trick the PS3 into seeing a DVD-R as a BR-RE?

Yes, Yes and Yes. Use the the guide.

Quote:
I had followed the guide including hex editor part and it didn't work (causing the error message) but I am going to retest to make sure I did it correctly. Just to clarify (before I waste hours converting another movie!), should AVCHD-Patcher work on making full BD5 discs (including menus and multiple titles) show correctly as AVCHD discs in the PS3? Does the type of DVD make a difference (eg DVD-RW vs DVD+R?)

AVCHD patcher and the hex editor steps take seconds, not hours. Be sure you are patching the correct files, index.bdmv and movieobject.bdmv. Yes, these will be full BD5 disks that show as AVCHD on PS3. The type of DVD media, +RW/+R etc. makes no difference.

·
Registered
865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seso /forum/post/15398260

Thanks Tom for answers.

In fact, for third question I also have got positive answer from one man from this forum (on one other thread). He is authoring and burning BD-R discs only with HDV 1440x1080 mpeg2 with menus (in BDMV). He is watching video on PS3 and one other Sony Blu-Ray player without problems.

That older forums in which I have read about some people had problems with some Panasonic Blu-Ray players is very old and from 2006. Perhaps they also now don't have problems with new firmwares.

To rendez2k

I would say him like Tom. To go on page 56 of this forum, to read Alluringreality's guide and to make everything like it is written in that guide. That should work with PS3 unless there's an issue with his video.

Please give the post number, not page number as that can be changed. For me this thread has 29 pages, so I would need the post number in the upper right corner of each post.

Thanks

Mike T

·
Registered
22 Posts
To rendez2k,

And it would be good idea to copy your original BDMV folder before patching and hex editor and try patching on copy. So, if you make something wrong, you can try again without affecting your original source. For me, I don't need to do that because after few attempts everything is very easy. This is the beauty of that guide.

To mtallent,

Post number for guide is #1662 .

·
Registered
4,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seso /forum/post/15405073

To rendez2k,

And it would be good idea to copy your original BDMV folder before patching and hex editor and try patching on copy. So, if you make something wrong, you can try again without affecting your original source.

If you do that, you are unnecessarily making a copy of the video file which is large.

The only files that could possibly need to be archived are the ones being patched, index.bdmv and movieobject.bdmv.

If you just follow the steps in the guide, nothing can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, nothing can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong...

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, when I said I don't want to waste hours doing another movie, it was precisely because I'd played around that much with my original source that I had no choice but to re-compress the entire BR again!

On re-reading the guide I'm 99% sure I'd followed it correctly the first time but I'm going to retry to be sure. One thing I did notice is statement a about the copy protection indicator - I suppose this could be the problem?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm having bad results backing up my Blu-ray/HD DVD collection to BD-9 and playing on my Panasonic BD35.

My process:

1.) Decrypt Blu-ray/HD DVD using AnyDVD HD

2.) Extract video, chapters, suptitles, and convert lossless audio to 640 kbps AC3 using eac3to.

3.) Index and frame serve video using DGAVCDecNV and DGVC1DecNV.

5.) Encode using x264 to fit to BD-9.

6.) Mux video and audio to Blu-ray Disc using txMuxeR.

7.) Applying fixclpi on CLIPINF and BACKUP/CLIPINF.

8.) Burn to DVD-9 using IMGBurn in UDF 2.50 mode.

Using this process the resultant BD-9 is playable on a PS3. However, on the BD 35 the BD-9 plays for half a second and then stops. Any idea?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As stated at the bottom of the guide:

PS3bdfix101 can correct the video in the STREAMS directory if the BDMV was created by Scenarist with cpi on. For most programs that create BDMV you will never have to worry about cpi.

How do you run it on a complete disc structure? How do you know if you even need to run it?

1681 - 1700 of 2482 Posts