AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks for bringing this to my attention! I had no idea there was a blu-ray version!

Yes, please if anyone knows if this will play in our US blu players, please let us know.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiecarr /forum/post/14158177

yes it is I'm afraid, I have it and it only works on my UK ps3 (also tried it on my USA ps3)

Thanks for the info.

Damn region coding crap.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Region coding must die.

Ok, freddiecarr or anyone else, PLEASE - does the US 40GB PS3 have a universal power supply in FACT, or just random rumor/happenstance?

I've queried several threads with no reply.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my eye on this release and was hoping it wasn't but sure enough... This film would look stunning in HD. It's beautifully shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo /forum/post/14160418

Region coding must die.

Ok, freddiecarr or anyone else, PLEASE - does the US 40GB PS3 have a universal power supply in FACT, or just random rumor/happenstance?

I've queried several threads with no reply.

Thanks

not quite sure what you mean.

But i use the same power cable for my UK and USA ps3 if that's what you're asking. ( I live in the Uk btw)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Do you need to use a (step down 240-120V) power transformer with your US PS3?

·
Registered
324 Posts
there's blu-ray in france, and in september it'll be released in japan. i'll hold for japan.

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts
I watched the UK edition of this on BD last night. The audio and video quality are very good, though the stylizing of the image can make it a bit softer than some of the top titles out there. The audio is great though.

Wife and I both really liked the movie though. It's a character film through and through so unless you like character drama with no much else, you may want to just rent it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just because an alleged region B title won't play in a US PS3 it doesn't necessarily always mean it won't play in some other standalone players. Encouraged by my previous success with French version of House of Flying Daggers (Universal) and the huge price cut of the UK version of My Blueberry Nights (Optimum/Studio Canal) I decided to try it out. And lo and behold it played in my US unhacked Pioneer 51FD and Panasonic 30. The 51FD played all the extras (576i50). The initial black screen (1080p24, 11h) is likely to deter most people but a little digging around soon yields rewards.

Very pleased with the outcome and it is an enjoyable film to watch in terms of cinematography. Very Wong Kar-wai. British audience will notice that Jude Law didn't carry a northern or Mancurian accent.

Many have a region-free or selectable player now so for them the region issue is moot. There is a Japanese release too but that's not the point. I know two examples don't set a trend but at least this region-locking implementation, whether from disc or player, isn't as uniform or tight as it first seems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts