AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reluctant to even post this because I'm afraid my Bravo D1 might read it and get really pissed at me. It's become like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.

One minute it's friendly and cooperative. The next minute it gets a mind of it's own.

It's been about three weeks now since I did an organ transplant on it (replaced it's loader with a Toshiba). I've played several movies since and, aside from one instance of a two second freeze-up, everthing was sweetness and light. Until yesterday.

Yesterday I rented two movies. Open Range and Out of Time.

When I went to play Open Range everything appeared normal. It started okay and the D1's time counter was progressing normally. But the screen

was black. I powered it down and up, ejected and reinserted. In fact did that twice. Still a black screen.

I then began to suspect that something was wrong with the disc. So I put it in my PC to check that. It worked perfectly there.

They were both one day rentals. I no longer had time to watch them before they were due to be returned. So I decided to burn DVD-R's just so I would be able to watch the movies later (don't go ballistic on us Jack Valenti - I promise to shred the copies after I've seen them once)

Well just for the heck of it, once the DVD-R was finished burning, I popped it into the D1 to see what would happen, expecting the same as before.

Surprise. The damn copy plays perfectly.

Then I got really curious so I put in the factory version of the other movie (Out of Time). Yep, black screen again.

Then put in the second DVD-R, and you guessed it, played perfectly.

So apparently now I have a consumer DVD player that only wants to play bootleg copies. But not originals. I don't know about you, but that has to be the most ironic thing I've ever heard of. I know it must be Jack Valenti's worst nightmare come true.

Bob

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Have you tried any of the Catholic forums. You could proably hire an exorcist extermintor there?;)

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now don't know why. But when I posted I thought reversing the caps and lower case would make it look more, well insane (like the D1).

Now I realize iT jUsT mAkEs mE lOOks InSaNe. :)

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy
Have you tried any of the Catholic forums. You could proably hire an exorcist extermintor there?;)
I actually did think of taking it to a local voodoo practitioner, Rachael, to see what he could do.

But then I spotted a big dutch auction of cheap DVD-R's on eBay so decided just to go that route. :)

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Robert..........If you replaced the Loader and did not install Firmware Rev. 1.0.0.5 (the one on V,Inc. website, assuming you have the latest updates which is 1.0.0.6) I found that I had a lot of problems with movie starts. When you made the copies, if I am not mistaken the "Copy Guard" is eliminated and that may be what is creating the BaZAar bRaVO.

John

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrannison
Robert..........If you replaced the Loader and did not install Firmware Rev. 1.0.0.5 (the one on V,Inc. website, assuming you have the latest updates which is 1.0.0.6) I found that I had a lot of problems with movie starts. When you made the copies, if I am not mistaken the "Copy Guard" is eliminated and that may be what is creating the BaZAar bRaVO.

John
Yup, That was my expereinece when I attempted to replace the loader.

My recent vintage D1 I believe has the 1.0.0.6.

Unmodded (with the Fuss loader) it plays commercial DVDs pretty well (once it decides to load them) but hates DVD-Rs.

With a Toshiba loader it plays my burned DVD-Rs just fine but doesn't then like store bought.

I may try loading 1.0.0.5 and trying the Toshiba loader again when I have time to screw with it. I have V, Inc. mailng me the 1.0.0.6 fimrware discs in case I get into trouble and needed to revert.. all from John's seasoned advice.

I may just wait until the Toshibas and Panasonics w/ HDMI are available before I experiment, just in case I end up accidently trashing the Bravo with the firmware fun (it might be a POS... but its my POS :).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Robert, I've got the same problem with my Bravo... When I first got PhoneBooth, I thought it was broken because the timer would tick, but the movie wasn't playing...

A shutdown-restart got me nowhere. I really need to get that power conditioning to see if that makes a difference...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
There's no doubt that it's about the buggiest thing I've ever owned.
Not for me. The Bravo is only the 2nd buggiest thing I've owned. 1st place has to go to a 1987 Peugeot 4dr that I got a "great deal" on. The heat worked well.. thats the short list.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll admit, that might be "buggier". But I'll bet you those ants are a lot more predictable and reliable than the D1.

I fell asleep last night with the thing playing a DVD. Woke up from a dream later. In that dream the D1 had me by the neck and was choking me.

When I got fully awake I looked over at the equipment stand and could have sworn it was on a different shelf than when I fell asleep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a coincidence! I fell into a dream too while watching a DVD. When I awoke, the D1 had hung up (again). I am convinced that's what saved my life. My D1 had crawled half way to my chair, but just sat there, inert, staring into space. I am therefore thankful I own the buggiest piece of equipment in history.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
D1=One Diabolical #1

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,

Do you know for certain if that 1.0.0.5 firmware is on the Vinc website? I looked and looked but couldn't find it. Then I emailed them and asked for a download link and so far no reply?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
194 Posts
ROFL - i vote this as best title ever....:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.