AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told him I thought he should look at the latest generation of Panasonic, NEC or Fujitsu but I had to check with you guy's to get specific recomendations :)

Since I have been away from the Plasma forum for a while I would appreciate any opinions you have as well as current model numbers.

If you guy's have any leads to the best pricing curently out there I would also appreciate it.

My Brother trusts my opinion....and I trust you guy's :)

Thanks,

·
Banned
25 Posts
If you really want something best than you should consider plasmas with ALIS screen (Fujitsu, Sony, Hitachi). They have the highest resolution of all plasmas.

Plasma with ALIS system can show all lines of American HDTV without converting them.

The Native Resolution of the screen is 1024x1024 Lines.

In progressive mode they can show 480 (NTSC) or 575 (PAL).

The progressive mode of 720p will be reduced to 512 lines. But 720p is not a common standard and it never will be.

All other Plasmas have a max. resolution of max. 480 lines. Any higher resolution will be converted to the capabilities of those screens.

Panasonic plasma are well known for their high black levels which (if you watching your plasma in a daytime with to much light in a viewing area).

They are also very gut for "normal" TV content (not HDTV).

ALIS Plasmas are not more expensive than other plasmas (maybe a little bit) but they are most superior, most fascinating plasmas today.

Go in your local store and see for yourself! - you love it

Joshy

·
Registered
33,799 Posts
Phil,

Just so you're not confused, unfortunately there is NO plasma currently made that can display all of the resolution of our HDTV system. Even those plasmas that have the current highest resolution are still not capable of doing 1900 lines of resolution at 1080i (or any other scanning rate for that matter). The only way to achieve that kind of resolution is with a conventional CRT of 9" in either a front or rear projection system. I'm sure within the next couple of years we will see plasmas capable of doing this. That aside however, there are many plasmas today that are capable of a knockout picture since there are many other aspects to picture quality other than resolution. Let your EYES be the judge.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ken,

I have a Panasonic 42pd2 and I am assuming that the new generation pd4? has made significant improvements but is still not full HD capable? Based on my experience with the picture I would not recomend the panny although I have not seen the new generation.

I also have a Pioneer 503CMX which has the best picture I have seen but I use it in a very bright room so I don't mind the black level /brightness trade off. Based on that picture I am thinking of recomending my brother gets the 4330HD as I understand it is similar?

Finally I have an NEC 61MP1 which also has a beautiful picture...except on dark scenes where there is terrible false contouring. Based on that picture I probably won't recomend the NEC line for a 42".

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Welcome back Phil-

R Harkness has done a few very good write ups on his long search for a 42". He went and looked at virtually every plasma on the planet, and finally ended up getting the 'still' all-time favorite.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Tip Bruce :)

As I am searching around I think I have it narrowed down to two recomendations. I need to get more information on my Brothers application to determine my recomendation.

The Panny 4uy sounds great if he is going to be using it in a darker room and doesn't need a stand or speakers and is not going to be watching much HD.

The Pio 43 sounds like an option especially if he wants everything that comes with the package, will be viewing in a brighter environment and has a strong interest in HD material.

Either way I think he should go look at both displays.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Also consider the Fujitsu 4233, in my opinion.

Obviously, ignore all the ALiS plasmas.

Mark

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guy's.

Because my brothers application will be in a brightly lighted area, and the media box will simplify his utilization, as well as my love of my 503CMX, I have decided to recomend the 4330HD to him. He would also prefer the look of the Pioneer in the area he is using it.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best source? I am thinking that Dell might be able to get it since they carry the industrial version?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
CLick on the ads above. This is the new standard here for recomendation of specific dealers. I personally just type "Pioneer 4330HD" into Google and let it find them. I think that the 4330 is proabbly a good choice for someone who wants a TV set as opposed to a computer display.

I think that this is a good recomendation but I am a bit put off by the price. Pio currently has a $1,000 rebate on the 50 inch model which I am waiting for them to apply to the 43. Could be a long wait. Currently, the Pio 43 in round numbers is $2,000 more than the Panny 42 or NEC. I think that hte Panny 42 is an excellent value as is the NEC.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,243 Posts
I have both a 503CMX and a Panny TH42PWD4UY.

The Panny has better blacks, it is not as bright, and

has a little bit of false contouring. Although, false contouring

is greatly improved over the 3 series.

The Pioneer is unbelievably bright and vibrant, but not the same

blacks. If panasonic makes a 60" with the false contouring

improvements in the 4 series, I will be very interested.

Both screens are great. So I think you cannot go wrong.

You may also want to consider the new 433CMX which

is listed on the Dell site, but may not really be out yet.

I found that I can get Dell to match the lowest price I can

find on the internet and throw in free shipping.

That works for me, since dell has a better replacement policy and

will pay for return shipping should that be necessary.

Good luck.

- Rich

·
Registered
733 Posts
Free

If you go with the Pio, I would also suggest you look at the 433CMX. The CMX takes the same card (and therefore has the same upgrade path) as your 503. So far noone has confirmed that the 4330HD has this upgrade card feature. I guess it is possible to get a new media box someday, but that seems riskier on the upgrade side.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It will NOT be possible to get a new media box for the 4330HD or the 5030HD. Or at least not one that is interesting.

To offer an upgrade of import -- i.e. DVI/HDCP -- you'd have to remove the DVI circuit and the panel and then replace it with an HDCP-capable input. I am all-but certain Pioneer won't do this.

Mark

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
It will NOT be possible to get a new media box for the 4330HD or the 5030HD. Or at least not one that is interesting.

To offer an upgrade of import -- i.e. DVI/HDCP -- you'd have to remove the DVI circuit and the panel and then replace it with an HDCP-capable input. I am all-but certain Pioneer won't do this.

Mark
I take it that you say this because the HDCP must be in the monitor and the media box is not close enough. So the whole concept of a media box is inconsistent with supporting a "monitor" which does the decoding.

In theory someone could reverse engineer (maybe easy) the media box interface and get a hold of a non-coded digital data stream.

I never thought about this but it is a logical conclusion. Mr. Eisner wouldn't like that .. .would he.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, the display has to have the HDCP connection. Pioneer would not get a license to build a media box that inputs DVI/HDCP and outputs unprotected DVI. That kinda defeats the whole purpose.

A hacked or possibly illegal media box could be built, but get real...

HDCP must be in the *display* for you to be even theoretically future proof.

Mark

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,243 Posts
All you really need is DVI that works from a computer.

We are a couple of years away from really needing

DVI/HDCP and by then the necessary transcoders

will exist to solve the problem.

What is really amazing here is that we are not trying

to copy anything. Merely, to use our equiptment.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, Rich, that is not true. What you need is DVI on the display that will mate with next-gen set-tops and HD-DVD players. It is very likely that if the display doesn't support HDCP, all sorts of things won't work.

Also, there will never be transcoders to solve the problem. That defeats the entire purpose of the protection in the first place.

Mark

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,243 Posts
Mark,

A DVI PC interface permits you to run a PC where the following is currently available:

PC DVD Players that provide performance that exceeds almost all

video players at a fraction of the cost.

Run General PC applications and games.

Use Software Based HDTV boards that permit you to record HD shows.

Today, an HDCP DVI permits you to nothing at all.

Later this year, it may permit you to run DVI from a satellite receiver.

Of course, DVI-HDCP to DVI converters will exist because consumers will want them. The legality of these devices will be tested in the courts.

But now that you mention it, the purpose of DVI-HDCP is to put consumers in the position to pay for each viewing of Hi-Def material and to render invalid the fair use laws already tested in the courts.

I for one consider the fair use laws in effect and will do what is

necessary to keep it that way.

-- Rich

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
(1) Yes, DVI allows all of things you describe. Of course, those HDTV boards only work for OTA HD. OTA HD is not threatened by DVI/HDCP because encrypting OTA is not going to pass muster with the FCC. Those boards are not software based at all, by the way

(2) I'm pretty sure a DVI/HDCP port on a display will gladly take unencrypted DVI from a computer. It might not, but there is certainly no technical or legal reason to prevent it.

(3) DVI/HDCP to DVI converters actually have almost zero market. There are only a tiny number of displays that consumers might use for HD that have DVI but not HDCP. I can assure you that those devices are illegal under the DMCA based on the current precedent cases. They will not be legally available in the U.S. so long as the DMCA remains the law of the land. And, again, I doubt anyone is going to make this devices for such a tiny market. That's not the way it usually works.

(4) You can consider the fair use laws in all the effect you want; the recent e-book case suggests that fair use can be narrowed to specifically exclude your unfettered right to manipulate content you do have the righs to.

I agree with you that misuse of DVI/HDCP interfaces and copy protection in general is bad. What you seem to be confused about is that this interface will indeed by the standard. It is likely that HD-DVD players and HD satellite set-tops will have no other way than DVI/HDCP to get a signal to a display that is hi def. That may be bad, but it is still going to happen.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.