AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gillette Company, of Andover Massachusetts, regularly has raffles and promos for their employees. Recently, they gave away a "Patriots Fan Wet-dream" prize. This prize includes two tickets to ANY Pats non-playoff away game, you get to fly with the pats to the game, stay in the same hotel with them, hang around with the players, unrestricted access to anywhere the players can go and a bunch of Pats merchandise. And I don't even think I covered it all.

Well, guess who won the prize?? Yes, my dear brother is the lucky one. You'd think about fifteen minutes after he found out he was the winner, I'd get a call and hear "pack your bags, we're outa here!". But nooooo. My brother actually asks whether he can exchange the prize for something else!!!! He winds up with two tickets to ****z-ville!

Gus

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I guess you aren't a football fan either.

I think that prize would be awsome, and I'm not even a Pats fan. He could have even sold it for more than the cost of 2 tickets... to you even. Slap him the next time you see him.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even though I'm a little bit of a football fan, I know where he's coming from.

Why should he go do something that he'll be miserable doing........... and have to pay? Even though he "won" it, he'd still have to pay taxes on it. And the taxes aren't cheap. I know........I've won something before. As far as selling it..........everyone expects you to GIVE it to them, since it didn't cost you anything. You'd never be able to sell it for even close to what it would have cost, if you bought it. I'd be the same way, if I won basketball tickets. I HATE basketball!!!!! :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
My Bro-inlaw would have killed anyone for that prize.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The company really used the term "wet-dream"? Yikes!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Don't worry Gus - I'm on your side of the fence on this one. Especially if the trip had been to tag along with the PACKERS! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Gus,

Did he actually TURN DOWN the prize after he asked if he could exchange it for anything else, or was the company so miffed after he asked for a possible exchange that they rescinded his prize and he got nothing?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Does the Superbowl count as a non-playoff away game? ;) Where exactly is ****z-ville? I wanna know what he really got in exchange.

Even if you weren't a football fan I don't know why anyone would be "miserable" doing this. I assume you can pick any away game, so you have 8 places to choose from, you get to fly 1st class and stay at a top notch hotel. You didn't even say where you got to be during the game, but at minimum they'd have to be really nice seats if not in a skybox or on the sidelines. The only negative I can think of is it's probably a short stay of one or two nights. If he had auctioned this off on the web he could've made a nice chunk of change.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Answers:

(not in order):D

1. The rules stipulated he would lose his job if he were to sell the tix.

2. ****z-ville is my derogatory term for The Dominican Republic, which is where he is going. Disclaimer: I apologize to all good people of The Dominican Republic, the term ****z-ville only applies when The Dominican Republic is chosen over any N.E. Patriots away destination by my mentally deficient brother.

3. No. The Gillette Co. never used the term "wet dream" to the best of my knowledge.

4. No. The Superbowl does not count as a non-playoff away game. If it did, my family would be in the process mourning the loss of a family memeber as we speak.

5. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he is my brother. We have almost exactly the same voice. Sometimes when I call him, I find myself saying: "Oh, hi Gus, is Milton there?"

6. He is not a fan of football in general. He did go see a Pedro Martinez game a couple of years ago with tix his wife won at the local Italian Feast Of The Three Saints yearly event, so he just may be a baseball fan after all. Of course, I was not invited then either.:mad:

7. He didn't turn down the prize, I believe Gillette gave the winner a chance to substitute for something else in case an idiot won it. Over 5k people work at that particular location, so I guess they have their share of those, and the company intelligently prepared for that eventuality.

8. Matt, Would your brother-inlaw kill my brother?

9. Captn, I made sure he knows how we feel. I sent him a link to this thread. He hasn't posted, so I don't know if he even read it. It would be fun to actually hear from the culprit.

Gus

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gus, even I'd love that prize, and I live in Charlotte.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Considering I'm not a rabid Pats fan and considering there's a tax liability for the amount of prize (i.e. an employee benefit), I would also turn down the prize. However, I can see how it would be worth it for a big fan.

Thinking about it more, I might take it if my boss or someone else I wanted to kiss up to was a big fan of the Pats.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, what a stupid excuse for a "prize"! Who in the world thought that just any random person, or even any random football fan, would want to meet the players and go where they go?

(BTW, there is almost no Germanic cultural influence in Dominica; since they speak Spanish there, the correct translation for "****z" would be "crapola".)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Actually, "crapola" sounds too Italian. How about "Villa de Caca"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Delvo
(BTW, there is almost no Germanic cultural influence in Dominica; since they speak Spanish there, the correct translation for "****z" would be "crapola".)
BTW, Dominica and the Dominican Republic are two entirely different places. The locals in the Dominican Republic do primarily speak spanish (so your point is still valid), but the folks who inhabit the southern caribbean island of Dominica speak primarily english, french, and a native patois.

Sorry....just my anal nature coming out!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.