AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had so many spare parts from past computer builds, I convinced the fiance to let me build a HTPC in the bedroom. After a very recent P180B build for the living room HTPC, I was still wanting to make a build in an "HTPC case".

For the build, I needed a PSU, CPU, and motherboard... I didn't really need a case as I had a good case just sitting around (which I sold today), but I was able to talk my way into the NSK-2480 as it had a decent PSU that came with the case.

Although this a budget build with some older parts, it still does very well and gets great Vista scores. My lowest score is the RAM with a 4.7, then next lowest is the CPU with a 5.1 of 5.9. The parts I had to buy were:

- Core2Duo E4500 - $125

- Scythe Ninja Mini (w/ Thermalright Bolt-Thru kit) - $33 (okay, I didn't NEED that)

- Gigabyte 8I865GME-775-RH - $50

- NSK-2480/PSU - $100

- Vista Home Premium OEM - $110

Total cost was just over $400... It was more than I was originally going to spend, but I decided not to use my spare copy of XP MCE 2005 and went with Vista... I couldn't live with stock cooling either, so the Scythe seemed like a good choice.

I used the 80mm fan that came with the Scythe and swapped it into the PSU. I can't hear it and the Ninja Mini is close enough to the case fans that it does not need its own.

Parts I already had:

- Corsair DDR400 1GB x2

- HIS X1650XT 512MB AGP

- Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE Kit

- Microsoft MN-730 Wireless Adapter

- 80GB & 120GB Seagate SATA1 HDD's

- Memorex CD/DVD Recorder

- Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite for Bluetooth

- Xbox wireless gaming receiver

This is connected to a 32" Samsung 720p LCD in my master bedroom. I don't want to wake up the new born, so I'll take pictures of everything running tomorrow

Anyway, here are some pictures:

I made a duct to help direct air flow through the Ninja Mini.

Swapped Scythe fan

Over all, I am VERY happy with this case. It looks nice resembling A/V equipment, cools well, and is very quiet. My dad asked me to build him a HTPC with the same case. Originally my front panel was damaged from shipping/factory, so Antec sent out a replacement panel for me to swap in.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After installing the video card (after running onboard video waiting for my RMA'd card), I started to have some issues with Windows going slow. I reinstalled Vista and not only does it run great, but my RAM score and Gaming graphics score went up. These scores are pretty decent considering the older equipment.

Here are some pictures of the whole bedroom setup... Now I'm trying to talk the woman into letting me buy some speakers

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I like that the case has dual 120's instead of 80mm fans. I wonder if you could recess the rom drive and attach the silver plate? A black dvdrw doesn't fit the silver scheme so well, though yours has a silver tray.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It came out real nice man good-job. And I especially like that you found the Gigabyte 865g Core2Duo compatible motherboard that was a very smart buy. I was going to do that myself but I decided to hold off until the Nvidia DX10 IGP microATX boards come out. And that memorex Drive goes really well with the case.

I still would have went with MCE2005 though, there was really no point in getting Vista, but you have 2GB of RAM so that should be plenty. What kind of speakers you going to buy?

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO /forum/post/12904001

I used the 80mm fan that came with the Scythe and swapped it into the PSU. I can't hear it and the Ninja Mini is close enough to the case fans that it does not need its own.

I also have a similar setup with the ninja mini running passively in an Antec Fusion. How did you do the PSU fan swap? Is there an online tutorial somewhere?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts