AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying, I am a nub when it comes to home theater. I have based my choices below based on research and a little bit of luck. My over satisfaction especially when it comes to, "Theater on a Budget" is smile worthy. Below are my components;

Receiver - Denon x2100-W - I bought this receiver refurbished and have not looked back since. For a rookie at home theater, the setup with Audyssey was easy and minor adjustments allowed me to adapt the sound to my liking. Having 2 zones was huge to me. I have two outdoor speakers mounted on my covered patio. The second zone and wi-fi enabled Denon App allow me to control everything from outside which is a huge plus.
Center Pioneer SP-C22 by Andrew Jones - For under $100 this speaker produces very clear center audio. What it may lack in bass it more than makes up for in overall range. I have listened to this speaker playing movies and all different music genres and have not been disappointed for the price point.
Fronts I started off with the Pioneer BS-22 and they were good speakers demonstrating a good range like the center channel. I however ended up getting a pair of Bose 301-V Bookshelf (I can hear the sighs from the "audiophile's) speakers for FREE with my reward sales points at work. These Bose speakers rock. They have good bass and great mid-high response. The technology Bose implements into these speakers way overcompensates for the cheaper looking build quality they may have. Most of the time, I don't turn my sub on, I just listen to the pure sound these speakers put out.
Rears Dayton Audio B652 - These speakers are where my research/budget met. They produce a very clear sound and what I believe to be decent bass at an extremely low price. As rear speakers they work perfectly for me but I could not see them carrying the load as fronts.
Sub Dayton Audio Sub 1200 - For the price this thing is a beast! I have thrown some bass heavy movies and music at all different volume levels and have yet heard it bottom out. I don't care how much of an audiophile you are this sub performs and even over-performs for it's price point!

I have read a lot of forums on this site and taken a lot of opinions into consideration. In the end I realized, whatever makes you happy and whatever you think sounds good is what you should go for. I spent around $650 (I got my Bose fronts for free which retail around $300) and I smile every time my wife tells me to turn it down!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Whoa...... why is your center channel all the way up the ceiling? You should set your center below the TV or in front of the TV on bottom if it doesn't interfere with the screen. Doesn't it sound off when watching movies and the sound is supposed to blend seamlessly from left to center to right? It's supposed to be a seamless linear blend, I would think setting up the center that high that the sound goes like this with your setup..... >>^^>> instead of >>>>>> like say, a car in a scene driving from left to right. I'm a bit over exaggerating here but, surely it would sound a bit off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa...... why is your center channel all the way up the ceiling? You should set your center below the TV or in front of the TV on bottom if it doesn't interfere with the screen. Doesn't it sound off when watching movies and the sound is supposed to blend seamlessly from left to center to right? It's supposed to be a seamless linear blend, I would think setting up the center that high that the sound goes like this with your setup..... >>^^>> instead of >>>>>> like say, a car in a scene driving from left to right. I'm a bit over exaggerating here but, surely it would sound a bit off.

I agree and yes it does at sound a little off at times but not bad. This was more of a wife appeasing aspect than anything else. I can not put it below the TV as it does interfere with the screen. To me there was no way to put it in the slots underneath and have it somewhat centered. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I’m happy to hear that you are happy :). Don’t worry about the Bose. The 301’s aren’t bad at all, and as long as you enjoy them, that is the only thing that matters. You’ve done well on your budget (and the Dayton sub gets plenty of praise around here), so kick back and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
They make center channel shelves the mount on top of tv. Basically a metal shelf with a small lip on front that hooks over front edge of tv and a couple of legs that angle down and rest against back of tv. Gravity holds it all in place.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
As long as the centre channel is tilted down towards the MLP, Audessy should take care of it's positioning...

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can probably create a shelf to raise the t.v up high enough to accommodate the center channel. A 2 by 4 and a 1 by 6, some screws and paint will do th trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts