AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the floor plans back from my contractor on our basement. We are building a small theater room that will back up to our bar.

I don't have the budget for a projector right now, but I am going to prewire for a projector and a screen. My wife is insisting that the projector cannot be hung in the bar, so I will only have it 10' back from the screen. Will that be long enough?

As for my screen, I plan on purchasing a AT screen that I can pull down from the ceiling that will go in front of my plasma. I will be mounting my speakers (Def Tech pro cinema 1000s). Because of our furniture, I will have to mount my center above my plasma and my LR on the sides of the plasma. Will this ruin my imaging?

My last concern is my side and rear speakers. I have Bipolar (BPX 1.2) for the sides that will be mounted on the very edge of the theater room. Should I mount my side speakers (PM 800) from the ceiling or from the back wall (back by the stairs)

Let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15473761

I just got the floor plans back from my contractor on our basement. We are building a small theater room that will back up to our bar.

I don't have the budget for a projector right now, but I am going to prewire for a projector and a screen. My wife is insisting that the projector cannot be hung in the bar, so I will only have it 10' back from the screen. Will that be long enough?

Depends on the projector you select and the screen size. Use the tools on projector people's website to see what different projectors can do.

Quote:
As for my screen, I plan on purchasing a AT screen that I can pull down from the ceiling that will go in front of my plasma. I will be mounting my speakers (Def Tech pro cinema 1000s). Because of our furniture, I will have to mount my center above my plasma and my LR on the sides of the plasma. Will this ruin my imaging?

Sure, but it depends on how picky you are. You want voices to be coming from people's mouths and not above/below the screen. But sometime sacrifices need to be made. It's up to you how important this is.

Quote:
My last concern is my side and rear speakers. I have Bipolar (BPX 1.2) for the sides that will be mounted on the very edge of the theater room. Should I mount my side speakers (PM 800) from the ceiling or from the back wall (back by the stairs)

Surround speakers should be mounted roughly 2-3' above ear level. Side speakers are slightly behind the "sweet spot" row of seats. Pick your seat and optimize around that location.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/15476943

Depends on the projector you select and the screen size. Use the tools on projector people's website to see what different projectors can do.

Sure, but it depends on how picky you are. You want voices to be coming from people's mouths and not above/below the screen. But sometime sacrifices need to be made. It's up to you how important this is.

Surround speakers should be mounted roughly 2-3' above ear level. Side speakers are slightly behind the "sweet spot" row of seats. Pick your seat and optimize around that location.

It's going to be tough to put the rear speakers in the right location. My ceilings are close to 8' high and the speakers are 10" with the mounts.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Should I mount my side speakers (PM 800) from the ceiling or from the back wall (back by the stairs)

If I'm interpretting your layout correctly, mounting the rear surrounds on the back wall would put them 10' or so from the seats, which is (obviously) a pretty big compromise. Acoustically, you'd probably do better mounting them from the ceiling a couple of feet behind the sofa.

If a ceiling mount is going to pose aesthetic problems, you might think about using in-ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds. I've been looking at this one for a similar problem I have with one of my side surrounds: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...-omnican-oc-55 .

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked the price for Def Tech in ceiling speakers (I want to use the same brand speakers as the rest of my system) and they are pretty high.

The omni mounts seem like a good alternative. Hopefully the wife isn't too upset about them....

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15473761

10' is a bit short, so you'll definitely want to nail down the screen size and work from there. At 10' you may end up with a screen that's a bit small for the room.

Frank

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This weekend we begin.... My township as of yesterday requires a second egress for the basement so we aer now going without a permit since I can't afford the $5K it costs to put one in. It's such a stupid ordance. We use the basement daily right now, but the second we put up some dry wall then it becomes a living area...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can egress be considered an egess window well? Those don't cost much.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoc /forum/post/15505846

Can egress be considered an egess window well? Those don't cost much.

Yes, and they cost $5 to get installed. My basement has a small window that they would make larger, cutting into my foundation. They wold then have to dig into the ground to make room for it. My town home sits on top of a large hill that is basically slate so they would need to use some kind of machinery to dig down as shovels would never work.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15505904

Yes, and they cost $5 to get installed. My basement has a small window that they would make larger, cutting into my foundation. They wold then have to dig into the ground to make room for it. My town home sits on top of a large hill that is basically slate so they would need to use some kind of machinery to dig down as shovels would never work.

I doubt that shovel wouldn't work. When they put in your foundation they had the area cleared and then backfilled against the cement wall. A window well perhaps juts out 3' from the house.

As for whether getting a permit is a good idea of not, well that is up to you. I personally would not want to be trapped with only one way out if there was ever a fire. And besides, you may have serious issues trying to ever sell the place if the work was done without a permit.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/15506123

I doubt that shovel wouldn't work. When they put in your foundation they had the area cleared and then backfilled against the cement wall. A window well perhaps juts out 3' from the house.

As for whether getting a permit is a good idea of not, well that is up to you. I personally would not want to be trapped with only one way out if there was ever a fire. And besides, you may have serious issues trying to ever sell the place if the work was done without a permit.

We've sold a number of homes where we did work without a permit so I'm not too worried.

The funny thing is that we do have an egress, it's just a small 3' window. Just not big enough for code.

I'll post pics as we begin construction. Due to budget constraints, we are only going to prewire for the projector. Once I complete school this summer, my wife is going to buy me a projector as a graduation gift.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts
As your local Realtors and home inspectors become more aware of the new ordinance, more of them will advise prospective buyers to negotiate that an egress be installed when you attempt to sell the house. If you claim "x" sq. ft. of finished space in your listing it will need to be legal sq ft.

I would check around for other bids, a lot of builders are idle and a chance to pick up $2000 for less than a weeks work may be tempting. Look for a small one man (and helper) company.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15507493

As your local Realtors and home inspectors become more aware of the new ordinance, more of them will advise prospective buyers to negotiate that an egress be installed when you attempt to sell the house. If you claim "x" sq. ft. of finished space in your listing it will need to be legal sq ft.

I would check around for other bids, a lot of builders are idle and a chance to pick up $2000 for less than a weeks work may be tempting. Look for a small one man (and helper) company.

Which is fine. We aren't moving for 5 years so we are in no rush to worry about that. Oh, the worse part about egess is that it's a one day job for most builders. I checked with a few contractors and the prices are pretty solid on the $5K quote. Being right outside Philadelphia does not help due to the high real estate values ($400K for a town home....) in the suburbs

Anyway, we have our budget which is $11K for 600 square feet. That covers everything but paint and carpet. I will get the PJ in May or August and I already have the speakers.

As the build goes, I will post pics and plenty of questions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts