AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you plan for purchasing a replacement bulb? At around $400 a pop, they're not cheap. An unexpected expense of $400 can put a crimp on almost anyone's wallet so here's what I started doing:

For every hour that I watch my PJ, I put a quarter in a vase. Hopefully my bulb will last 1600 hours and I'll have the entire amount saved for a new bulb. If it fails sooner, at least it won't be such a pinch on the pocketbook.

I received my PJ on Jan 2nd and due to being snowed in during the Portland Ice Storm, I accumulated 100 hrs in the first 9 days! :D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vantorax
I wonder if the retailer will accept a jar of quarters for a bulb. :D
If the money is there, they have to by law...only pennies (somebody paid their taxes with these, and so the law changed to stop them from doing it again) and now nickles (well, if pennies don't work anymore, use nickles to pay the IRS..geuss what happened) can now be refused as legal currency if desired by the retailers.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very funny! Actually, I am exchanging the quarters for bills as they pile up. So now I only have a $20 and a $5 in the pot.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry, that's wrong information. Retailers do not have to accept any type of currency they do not like.

So if you try to pay with all nickels you might be SOL, and nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The piggy bank idea is a great one!

Besides saving for a new bulb, it helps as a reminder that it costs more to watch your projector than your TV. Maybe it will help you -- and your kids -- remember/realize what it costs to run your projector.

gp

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
The piggy bank idea is a great one!

Besides saving for a new bulb, it helps as a reminder that it costs more to watch your projector than your TV. Maybe it will help you -- and your kids -- remember/realize what it costs to run your projector.

gp
Good idea. From now on I'm charging my kids (8 & 5) a quarter per hour for using my pj!

:D

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rickster904
Good idea. From now on I'm charging my kids (8 & 5) a quarter per hour for using my pj!

:D
That's brutal! :D

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Can you set up a "Direct Deposit" from each paycheck to put just $20 a month into a separate savings account (for only the PJ bulb)?

That way I guarentee you won't even know that it was taken out and when it is bulb time, you will have the $$$ that you need.

Just an idea, but very handy if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
Can you set up a "Direct Deposit" from each paycheck to put just $20 a month into a separate savings account (for only the PJ bulb)?
Some banks do offer this service.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Wow, 100 hours in 9 days! You got me beat. I told my wife I thought we were overdoing it when we reached 200 hours in just under a month.

I like your idea of a bulb fund though. My friends have generously offered to buy all the refreshments whenever they come over to my place to watch movies. So I figure I'll break even or maybe even come out ahead by the time I have to replace the bulb on my Z2. In exchange, they get to see some movies before they're even released in the theaters here.

At least the replacement bulb prices seem to be somewhat lower here than in the states.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In regards to the direct deposit: Yes. I do this each payday. When I moved to Oregon, I kept my Credit Union account active in Washington and have my Payroll person auto transfer $50/paycheck to that account. As you said Markito, I never miss it but it's there for emergencies if I need it.

It's kind of fun to see the pot grow as I watch my PJ, it's a nice reminder of how much I have actually been using it.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Sounds like a good idea for those on a tight budget.

I just have one question....where do people get the $400 lamp replacement cost? The price for the z2 lamp is 300 bucks and I bet some places sell it for a little less than 300 as well.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news, Rob, now I can expect my bulb to only last 1200 hours ;-)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
That'll work, I guess, but I still like the idea of having a piggy bank in the theater - what if you have people over for a movie and they want to make a contribution towards a new lamp, they'd much rather put a quarter or dollar bill in the piggy bank than write you a check for your savings account.

- Martin

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
True, but I've never had anyone offer and I would never ask anyone to, so it's all up to me to save.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.