1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... New owner for less then 24 hrs. Here is my short review:

All –

I just received my CSX-15.

It came triple boxed and Cadence made sure that no one, not even a train running over this will do any harm.

As for the sub, I love the way it looks! QC on the fit and finish looks like A+.

Cadence also included a RCA Y-splitter for the sub and four chrome spike feet with four chrome hourglasses.

I did install the feet even though it is on carpet.

Also included in a 220v plug adapter.

As for the sub, everything was easy to setup.

The review that Ron Temple posted; I have to agree for the most part, this sub is by far the best less then $400.00 sub I ever owned or heard. Cadence was right, noting at the retail store for the $800.00 mark will be comparable to this.

I got to listen to all types of music including Jazz, Hip-hop, country and some War of the Worlds on DVD.

This sub is really punchy! I have a dedicated HT room upstairs, that is around 1600 cubic ft and I can purposely vibrate the floor, walls and make my glass of milk shake! My son, which was down stairs in our bedroom (on the other side of our house, came up running and said our bed was vibrating when he was watching a TV show.

My home is little over 2300 sq ft. I basically rock this whole house! My old Velodyne VRP1200 was like a fart thud compared to this monster!

This is the best $370.00I ever spent and then it’s a sub! I bet there is no sub out there @ this price range that can touch it!

A+++++ to Cadence!

The guys at Cadence know how to design a high quality pwr'd sub at fraction of the cost of the over priced subs that are out their that offers less.

Thank you Cadence for not stealing my wallet.

1st 2 pictures was shot w/ my camera phone:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyQuattro /forum/post/12893660

Thing looks massive! I just ordered mine yesterday!

Congrats. Please post your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgtuff /forum/post/12894827

i might have to take a close look at this sub. i am getting tired of waiting for my ED A-350

How so? I hear nothing but great things about that sub.

I just didnt want to wait that long for it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
yeah, i bought a csx-12 off of ebay this weekend for $150 (plus $30 shipping) -- the guy selling it said he had it only 3 months, but his wife said it was too loud. that was a ringing endorsement to me -- if the mrs. says it is too loud, that means it is (hopefully) loud enough.

i'm sure it is going to blow me away. even though my tv room is probably larger than yours (tv room opens up into kitchen), i think the csx-15 would have been overkill for me. i'm not that into getting things to shake. and my wife can't really complain since i am out less than $200.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd /forum/post/12894983

yeah, i bought a csx-12 off of ebay this weekend for $150 (plus $30 shipping) -- the guy selling it said he had it only 3 months, but his wife said it was too loud. that was a ringing endorsement to me -- if the mrs. says it is too loud, that means it is (hopefully) loud enough.

i'm sure it is going to blow me away. even though my tv room is probably larger than yours (tv room opens up into kitchen), i think the csx-15 would have been overkill for me. i'm not that into getting things to shake. and my wife can't really complain since i am out less than $200.

Just go with your ears and don't take it to heart on people’s reviews.

Everyone’s point of view is different in each placement & environment and setups.

~ Now is my sub (CSX-15) over kill for my HT room? ~ Probably so... but I want the BASS and want the RUMBLING excursion when needed. I purposely want to P-off my neighbors. I purposely want to make my guest squint their eye lids and know the SPL is there when needed.

Yes, my CSX-15 provides that. I have the room, so why not use it

Now would the EPIK do the same? Yes.. Probably so... but I wanted to save money while getting all this mentioned above. It's called "BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK"

Plain and simple!

Now go listen to this sub and let your ears or chest do the testing

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyQuattro /forum/post/12894853

How so? I hear nothing but great things about that sub.

I just didnt want to wait that long for it.

i know the ED sub is a very good buy. I have been waiting for a while now and i know it will be another month or two before i get mine. this one is cheaper and i can get it quickly. i have a dedicated 16L X 12W X 8 HT room so i know the a-350 is over kill and this one will probably do fine in that room too. decisions decisions???

·
Registered
881 Posts
How good is this sub for music? I'm not an audiophile but I listen to a lot of music. Right now I am using a dayton sub-100.. I fear for its well being.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift /forum/post/12896658

Just go with your ears and don't take it to heart on people's reviews.

Everyone's point of view is different in each placement & environment and setups.

~ Now is my sub (CSX-15) over kill for my HT room? ~ Probably so... but I want the BASS and want the RUMBLING excursion when needed. I purposely want to P-off my neighbors. I purposely want to make my guest squint their eye lids and know the SPL is there when needed.

Yes, my CSX-15 provides that. I have the room, so why not use it

Now would the EPIK do the same? Yes.. Probably so... but I wanted to save money while getting all this mentioned above. It's called "BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK"

Plain and simple!

Now go listen to this sub and let your ears or chest do the testing

i probably would not have bought the csx-12 for $300 (or $280 with the $20 off coupon). but i paid $150 plus $30 shipping ($180 total). i was seriously considering the csx-15 for $400 (or $370 with the $30 off coupon).

i'm going to be making (what i hope is) a big step up from my polk psw303 (which i paid a $100 upgrade fee for about 13 months ago -- now i kind of wish i had just taken the "free" psw10 i could have gotten with my $500+ polk speaker purchase).

i'd love to get an epik, too. it probably would not really be overkill in my room. but with the "entry-level" (sealed) valor going for $549 (with about $50 shipping), i'm not going to throw $600 their way right now. i'd really like to, but i'll take the deal i got.

i don't usually listen to my speakers at "reference level," though, so i don't need a sub that is going to get too loud. but i do want something that will go reasonably low.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd /forum/post/12894983

Ah, that was you who bought it. I was thinking about doing the same, watching that listing til the end - which is when you placed your bid

I think you got a nice sub. I still think about if I should have threw my hat into the ring... Let us know what you think about.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like the CSX-12 is what I need. By the OP description, the CSX-15 is overkill for me. I have a 1400 Cubic feet room that opens up into the kitchen. What's the RMS rating on the CSX lines?

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma1 /forum/post/12902653

Ah, that was you who bought it. I was thinking about doing the same, watching that listing til the end - which is when you placed your bid

I think you got a nice sub. I still think about if I should have threw my hat into the ring... Let us know what you think about.

yeah i use bidslammer and put in a snipe for $169. i was actually out to lunch when the auction ended. bidslammer charged me about $1.50 for winning the auction (1% of the final value), which is worth it to me. my balance at bidslammer is over $10, so i have to use it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey after few more tests and talking w/ Cadence. This AMP sure puts out! More then what this subwoofer can handle. So if you have the AMP cranked more then half and then use any of the bass boost you will get some muddy sound but really only on lots of bass and the stereo amp cranked!. But this is understandable and I heard worse

Cadence seems to be very proud of these amps that they designed and the guys did listen to what I want or expect. At the end, they suggested two drivers that they highly recommend that would be better for my preference to use w/ their amp and cabinet.

So after gathering up the facts basically the Subwoofer itself is Mid-Entry level, but still far better then what is out there on the market for cost / price point and the bass you get.

As for the sub itself, there are better subwoofers that are out there that can be had to fit this cabinet and amp to make sound better for both music and HT.

OUT OF THE BOX this sub is more towards Home Theater (80%)! Bass is still excellent but you do have the ease down on the amp power level. It is by far too powerful for this sub IMHO. If you crank the bass boost you will see that this sub goes MAX really easy! The subwoofer works hard but the amp is not even sweating (not getting hot at all). I actually at times can smell the voice coil (I remember that smell in my car audio days). Now I know I am working this sub.

So here is my setup right now: The amp a little less then 40%, bass boost 3% and HZ right at about 75hz.

By all means this SUB still sounds excellent, don’t just think because it’s an entry level SUB that it will not sound great! It really does! For price and what you get, I will say it’s definitely worth the selling price (MSRP).

Customer service at Cadence was top notch! They answer the phone quickly and they greeted very polite and professional. From what I hear the customer experience is good and if not probably excellent. I do not plan to get rid of this sub anytime soon but in the future... who knows…… at least I have options and can be upgraded if wanted or needed to

 Oh I forgot to mention. If you like low levels, no problem, this sub plays clean. Bass boost does impact nice and clean even in music @ the lower level. It’s just all about setting it up correctly. I think w/ the setup preference I have this is the most I am getting out of it. Could I get more bass? Sure, just crank the DB’s on my A/V receiver and pound away. You will get the rumble. Muddy can happen, but that’s because of the AMP is just to much.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renob101 /forum/post/12905512

How long is the warranty on their subs?

I think 2yrs but don't quote me on it.

Call them and see.

Here 1 - 800 - 477 - 2328

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The most important thing you can do with any sub right out of the box is calibrate it with your mains. If you have auto-eq on the AVR, I still would manually calibrate with an SPL meter first. The gain on the sub amp is meant to be in balance with the AVRs signal output. It's best to be in the negative on the AVR trims...most scales are -10 to +10. -5 on the AVR is a good starting point. Adjust the sub's amp gain to acheive a balance with your speakers...usually 75 or 85 dbs.

The bass boost is something I'm leery of. I only played with it a bit. I think the sub sounds much cleaner without any boost, but some rooms might benefit. What you want is the slam for HT and music without the bloom of boom or overhang. Also, and I may be wrong on this, I would think applying too much boost will rob the amp of potential and make the sub less dynamic. If you have a null in the 45hz region (common) adding boost won't help...you'll need to adjust placement.

I'm glad you're enjoying your sub, Shift. Keep tweaking and it will continue to improve.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgtuff /forum/post/12894827

i might have to take a close look at this sub. i am getting tired of waiting for my ED A-350

I had an A3 on order and cancelled, as it was on its 3rd week already, and not ready yet. Went with an HSU VTF2-MK3, wish I had looked at Cadence prior to pulling the trigger.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts