AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought's and idea's are needed. I know a fair amount on HT, but what i have no clue on is building anything
..I had to gut my van out and remove my audio system. Rather than waste it i would like to build a pair of speaker's out of them, hopefully.

This is what i have- Kicker S12L7 (2), Infinity Kappa 693.7i (2), Infinity Kappa 60.9 CS (2)....I would have to buy maybe a Behringer Amp & Eq....Sizing of the boxes doesn't matter. The Infinity's are all 2OHM. The subs are both dual 4 OHM.

Another thought...I have dual A5-350's, maybe build a box for each Kicker and place one on each A5..then use the Kappa's to build a killer center channel ?

I would then have basically quad 15's with a center channel that could keep up...i currently have a Def Tech 2300 but it get's drowned out...i recently wired a pair of Polk Monitor 70's together as a center channel and it's sounding pretty awesome...so, any idea's would be great...thanks..

I am putting the subs into my wall, but i can only do it on one side of the basement. That's why i was thinking of separate boxes for the Kicker's. Anything is open..

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
The subwoofers model ok, but in a large sealed box. I would likely both of them in a box of around 7 ft^3 and fully stuff it with polyfill or fiberglass / rockwool. If you have the room, build a bit bigger than 7 ft^3.

As far as what to do with the rest... you aren't going to find anything that will reliably drive 2 ohms in the home. Maybe set them aside for the moment or find someone else to take them off your hands.

Edit:

Whoops, apparently I was modelling the 15's.... eek. Just checked for the 12's and the same 7 ft^3 looks ok, but you can't put a lot of power to them, only 500 watts into the pair. ( 250 per driver ) O-audio Bash 500 might be your best fit there, wire the coils in series in each driver, then the pair in parallel to the amp.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manual said up to 750 Rms per sub that's why i thought behringer.

One box for both subs & one bash amp ?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
You could build two 3.5 cu ft boxes, and run wire in between the pair to the amp.... or simply put both in the same box. There are pros and cons of putting them in the same box. If you oppose the drivers, there will be less vibration of the box.

750 watts is a thermal rating, however if you did attempt to put that much into each one in that 7ft^3 box, you would find their mechanical limits.

1500 watts at 55 hz and you are already at the rated excursion limits. It gets worse than that lower in frequency at that level.

500 watts is a much safer level, you will get close to the rated excursion, but should not be able to hurt them by burning a coil, or mechanical limits.

In a smaller sealed box, it will take more power to get to their limits, however the response looks pretty peaky, and not something I would put in a home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.