154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my two polk subs and my cerwin vega vs120s OLD RECEIVER!!! GOT A NEW ONE
IMG_20130412_221941.jpg 361k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
very nice Ive alway wanted cerwin vega but could never afford them so I just bought the woofer and put them in my cabnet turned out nicely and sound great, now Im gonna try to get a pair of vega for the garage. Heres a pic of my setup in my bedroom.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Either get the CVs up off the floor a foot or so, or tilt them back somewhat,... either action should help the resultant sound... unless, you sit on the floor there in front of the bed.

Tweeters and midrange drivers need to be close to ear level as you can get them.

I owned CV D series back decades ago, upon their initial release. Quite fun really. Talk about "champagne taste on a beer budget",.. back then. Hell, I read Absolute Sound and used HP's speaker placement strategy with my Cerwin Vegas
, good times, still have them, as I've never sold any of my old gear, decades and decades worth.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh yes, My cewins vegas are off the floor about 6in, I built some base's and they are tilted back as well and yes I do sit in front of my bed and on my bed either way they are directed towards my ears just how they should be lol.

So if you dnt mind me asking what is the placement strategy?

I plan on putting another port on my cabnet as well, seeing alot of cerwin vegas i see have dual ports.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would not add another port to your speakers. it will change the tuning and make the bass boomy and crapy. you should look out for some deals on cerwin vegas on craigslist. they are all over

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea thats what I was worried about too, if I do decide to add another port and I dnt like the way it sounds I'll just cap one of the ports up. Heres a pic of some AT-60s with dual ports on the front. which gives me the idea it will work and sound good but if it doesn't I can always plug the hole. Also I should be picking up a set of LS-12s tomorrow Ill probably put them in the garage and make the neighbors hate me lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those need to be reformed. and also you should put the speakers that are in your bedroom in the garage and the ls12s in your bedroom. ls12s are great dude.

i really want a pair and i found a pair for 150 bucks. might just have to pick them up for s&g

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my top fav. CVs are:

xls215(the CLS and CLSCs are great, too)

VS line(vs120 and vs150s are monsters.

AT line(great mids)

e315 (big, insane beasts)

digital line.(great overall sound and cool looking cabinets) im not so sure about the ve line up yet. im sure they sound great but it seems the power handling is low compared to earlier models

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea those AT-60s def need to be refoamed there not mine just a pic I came acroos but yea im considering putting those LS-12s in my room although Im running LS- 12 woofer just pro studio cabinets. I'll test them both out and see which ones sound better before I pick a set to go in the garage.

Ive only heard the LS-12s and the VE-12s myself. So if you were to compare the vs120 to the LS-12 and VE-12 which ones would be your choice?

I heard the vs120s are rated at 255 watts and the LS and VE are rated at 300 watts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i belive those ratings are no correct, as a rule of thumb, run the cerwin vega 12in speakers(does not matter what line they are from) at 350 wtts rms. crown xls1000.

my choice between those 3 would be either all of them, or the least expensive. your going to get the same thing pretty much.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTweaked  /t/1469481/my-cerwin-vegas-and-whole-set-up#post_23286363

Oh yes, My cewins vegas are off the floor about 6in, I built some base's and they are tilted back as well and yes I do sit in front of my bed and on my bed either way they are directed towards my ears just how they should be lol.

I was responding to the OP, Notinvolved.

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTweaked  /t/1469481/my-cerwin-vegas-and-whole-set-up#post_23286363

So if you dnt mind me asking what is the placement strategy?
No problem. "Pearson's rule of thirds" which is essentially nothing more than lessening the negative acoustic influences of the adjacent boundaries. Smoother FR, more accurate imaging.

---
Quote:

I plan on putting another port on my cabnet as well, seeing alot of cerwin vegas i see have dual ports.

Why don't you find the T/S parameters of the woofer, and load the cabinet appropriately? There will be an ideal box volume, port length and diameter. If you examine the driver basket/magnet, you can get the model number, then search for the T/S parameters. All the members in the DIY subs section would very likely help you out with no problem if you encountered any questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok thanks I'll check it out.

well I decided to keep the single port after listening to my other LS-12s that I just picked up off of craigs list for $120
They have dual ports and larger ports ass well, they just dnt hit as hard and dnt sound as punchy as the LS-12s that are in my studio cabnets with the single ports thats are smaller too. So I guess the only thing to do now is replace my cross overs in my studio cabnets to make the LS-12s sound even better.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
give them more power. that why they are not punchy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts