AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a energy ESW HG 8 subwoofer back in December from Amazon. Recently the sub started producing a extremely distorted and loud noise with LFE content. Played around with it and noticed that using my fingers to apply presure around the LFE input i could pretty much duplicate the problem. Bottom line is the thing needs to be serviced which would require shipping to a service center in Va. Because i am the impatient type I am inclined to just buy another energy sub and sell the current one when i get it back from the service center. Only problem is I don't know if there woul be much of a market for a repaired $200 sub.

I am curious what some of you would do.

BTW, the sub is used with RC Minis as part of a second system in a 12 by 17 spare bedroom, so using the repaired sub in a two sub setup would definately be overkill.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it's probably still under warranty, why not let Energy fix it ???? If you "crack the case" and get into the internals, you will certainly void the warranty if the problem is anything more than a bad solder joint.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I thought taking it apart and checking to see if it something as simple as a loose connection, but it is under warranty so I wouldn't want to do anything to void the warranty. Obviously the prudent thing to do is to just send it in for repair but as I said I not a patient man and my experience has not been goood in terms of getting elctronics repaired and returned in less than a month or two.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is a perfect time to upgrade. It's fully justified. Do it. Sell the Energy sub when it comes back, working as good as new. Put it on auction, and have a clear conscience because it was just repaired and working.

Good to go.

tk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 /forum/post/18286505

This is a perfect time to upgrade. It's fully justified. Do it. Sell the Energy sub when it comes back, working as good as new. Put it on auction, and have a clear conscience because it was just repaired and working.

Good to go.

tk

Yea, I tend to agree about using this as an excuse to upgrade. However since this is part of a small secondary system in a medium size bedroom, I am not looking for or need more bass output. I am certainly interested in a better sub but not necessarily a bigger sub. I welcome suggestions on which models to consider

1 - 6 of 6 Posts