AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I decided to use this long weekend to resolve the Video Light issue.

Although,, even my personal experiment with both HG20 and SR11 confirmed that the HG20 had sharper picture, more accurate colors and over all better picture (for my eyes anyways) in Low light conditions. I think the problem is that our eyes get used to whatever we see at a regular basis e.g my 1080P plasma doesnt have the same POP it used to simply because I am now used to watching HD material and it just normal. Same goes for the canon's quality, I have gotten so used to the awesome and sharp picture of the HG20 when using during the day or shooting at 100 lux or higher, that shooting 60 lux or below doesnt look as good (although it blows my Sony TRV33 away in Low or very low light).

So, I spent the day looking for the "perfect" LED flash light, I went to Target Walmart, Home depot and Lowes. One visit to Target and Walmart (to return the flash lights I didnt like) I headed back to Home depot of all places and found the two best candidates.

The two finalists ended up being Husky Brand, one a 12 LED ($5.95 no Lumens or WATTS listed) and the other a 3 WATT Tactical 1 LED Flashlight ($21.97).

After testing the two in different conditions like pitch dark room, 1 60WATT bulb room, 3 60 watt bulbs in larger room and Well lit Kitchen I have decided to keep the smaller 12 LED $5 flashlight. The larger and more powerful Tactical light has, as expected, too narrow a target area.

For others who may want to try this, in low light situations my best results came from using the camera in 1) Cinemode with custom white balance using a plain white paper and 2) in shutter priority mode at 1/60 shutter speed and custom white balance.

Now I just need the Hotshoe adapter from B&H and I should be good to go.

Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
coool man...i actually saw someone that mounted a similar LED on the mount already...im sure you saw it too

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elifino /forum/post/15438546

you can put a piece of wax paper over your tactical spotlight, and it will disperse quite evenly

that is exactly what I would do

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/15439377

that is exactly what I would do

That's a good idea.

I played around with the more powerful "tactical" flash light, I was able to take out the narrow focus reflector and now it is PERFECT. It was already had a more accurate "white" of teh two.

I made a couple of videos last night and my best results I got were with 3 60 watt bulbs and the flash light. Once I set the custom white balance using a white sheet the video had ALL the POP and Sharpness (in Cinamode) that I was looking for.

I now have my HG20 exactly where I want it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.