AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I've posted here, but thought I'd give some details on my cheap bulb quest for the XV-Z3000.

Bought and Eiki 1600T (clone) a little over a year ago, and the bulb failed at around 1000hrs. Spent a couple of days looking at my options, and the cheapest solution was a "OEM-Replacement" bulb for 3 bills.

That's hard to justify with new DT-510s going for $599 new. So I ended up finding a thread on replacing the burner in the assembly with a "equivelent" burner from China. $85 later I have a replacement burner and am ready for the transplant. Removing the old bulb is a pain, but using some of my Wife's retired dental tools (she's a dental hygenist) worked magnificently for scraping away the white cement holding the burner in place. (Note: Make some measurements before removing so you can locate the new bulb correctly at the reflector focal point!).

Once that was out, I placed the new bulb in the assmebly and force some refactory cement into gaps I had created with the dental tools. I heated the cement with a heat gun (stuff final cures at 500F), and replaced the bulb assmebly into the housing.

Back up an running, everything appears to be running great! Couple of negatives so far:

1. Not as bright as the original. I'd say I've lost the equivelent of an Iris stop for brightness. ( High looks like Medium before)

2. Inspection of the replacement bulb alongside the original reveals that the replacment is not the same quality. Time will tell, but initial inspection favors the OEM significantly.

Overall I'm pretty happy. It didn't turn out to be a perfect solution. But then nothing ever is. Seems to be worth the price paid, barring any failures in the near future. If I make it to 500hrs, I'll consider this experiment a sucess.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with an OEM bulb if I could find one in the $300 range. (Anyone know where I can buy just the reflector/burner for this projector to save a little cash?)

Andy

·
Registered
855 Posts
Get the numbers off of the reflector then search using Google, you may be able to find the reflector/lamp only and put that into your existing cage. Search the PD 7130 owner's thread for Osram (a bulb mfg.) and there are some comments on how to find bulbs that can be mounted as an assembly into existing cages.

I found the one for my projector (Planar 7150) for as low as $199. Planar sells the bulb and cage for $499....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I looked over my bulb, and can only find the following numbers:

On a metal plate that may or may not come with the bulb:

1. RLMPFA024WJ

2. SHP93

On the reflector itself (only number I can find):

I'm coming up empty with searches for these. The first two numbers just lead back to the entire assembly as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewa51 /forum/post/15443162

Thanks for the tip. I looked over my bulb, and can only find the following numbers:

On a metal plate that may or may not come with the bulb:

1. RLMPFA024WJ

2. SHP93

On the reflector itself (only number I can find):

I'm coming up empty with searches for these. The first two numbers just lead back to the entire assembly as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

I found this;

It's 275W SHP 93 with housing part number RLMPFA024WJ

So apparently it is a 275 Watt bulb, can you determine who the manufacturer of the SHP 93 bulb is? Philips, Osram ect.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
did you get this from ywh in diyaudio?

Victor

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had any luck determining who makes the bulb. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the information.

Yes, this is from Ywh.

The last couple of days, the bulb hasn't been firing correctly. Sometimes it will start right up, others I need to uplug to reset the sequence and it'll light on the second try. Makes me wonder if the voltage requirement is a little higher for arcing. Hope it's not going to damage my power supply....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is DC.

I would agree with the apparent quality of the bulb. Not sure how it translates to performance, but it has a couple of strikes against it so far.

Do you know of any other sources for these lamps?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some searches on the housing number again, this time using a dash as follows:

RLMPF-A024WJ

This returned some resellers linking this number to the Sharp XG-MB65X (an AN-XR20LP) lamp. However, this appears to be a UHP lamp.

Also, the Sharp XG-MB55X uses ANXR20LP (275W SHP).

Next search (UHP vs. SHP) returned an article which seems to imply that UHP and SHP are both high pressure mercury, with Philips being called UHP, and Pheonix labled SHP. See:

http://www.projectorlampsource.com/uhp_lamps.html

If this is the case, shouldn't I be able to use the AN-XR20LP lamp (same specs as the XV-Z3000)?

I'll do some more research, but if anyone has the answer, I'd appreciate it.

Update: It appears the UHP vs. SHP is just a branding. Doesn't matter, since the ANXR20LP is in fact a SHP lamp (and priced similar to a XV-Z3000 lamp).

Anyone think a UHP 220W DT-510 lamp will work? I'd bet that the lamp is the only change from the DT-500 and XV-3000. I'll see if the power supplies

are the same part number.

·
Registered
379 Posts
do you still have the original dead bulb ?

are the 2 electrodes in the burner the same shape ? if not it's DC, otherwise it's AC

most SHARP/DLP lamps are DC(like NSH lamps), and UHP is AC...it seems that the DC lamps colorimetry matches DLP where UHP matches LCD polarizers better.

either you cannibalize a genuine SHP with the same wattage from another lamp....or you find a SHP lamp with the same reflector shape.

if the reflector shape is identical and so is the wattage/current type then go ahead!

I've already used Infocus 132W UHP lamps on a Sanyo Z3....exactly the same reflector/type

manufacturers only have a bunch of different shapes, and I think Philips only has 2 UHP lamp types....one that does 100-135W, the other than does 145-200W

but find the cheapest price on jap comparing sites and ask pr*icejapan for a quote....might be easier

also, cleaning the inside of a reflector will KILL the light output, these things are not supposed to be cleaned in the first place!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I found a Hong Kong seller that handles a huge line of projector lamp/reflectors as well as complete assemblies carriage and all. They sell the complete assembly as being for the SHARP PROJECTOR LAMP AN-100LP DT-100 DT-500 XV-Z3000 so perhaps it would work if you could get the just the bulb/reflector.

However there would be no real savings in this case, they want $278 plus of course shipping.

You could try and email, tell them what you want see what the response is, they may know which bulb/reflector is interchangeable and might result in a significant savings.

Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/SHARP-PROJECTOR-...713.m153.l1262

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richum: I'm going to look into this. I'm assuming that these are not OEM, so I'm concerned with quality. I'll ask and report back.

Leeperry: Yes, the electrodes are different sizes, so DC. I've never touched the reflector, just to be safe. I'll look into the jap sites and see what kind of quote I can get.

I'm leaning toward selling as-is on ebay and purchansing a new PJ. I'd probably be less out-of-pocket than just buying a new lamp assy.

Next time I'll have to do more bulb replacment research before purchasing!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I struck out on both fronts as far as replacement bulbs go. The e-bay bulb is an aftermarket (could be equal quality to my china bulb, who knows?). The Japan source isn't going to work either.

I did find one online store with OEM bulbs shipped for ~$350. That's not too bad. But, I'm going to stick with the Chinese bulb for as long as it holds out. It seems to be firing more consistently, and I did a re-alignment in the reflector that helped brightness a little.

I'll update this thread when the the china bulb goes.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewa51 /forum/post/15483397

Well, I struck out on both fronts as far as replacement bulbs go. The e-bay bulb is an aftermarket (could be equal quality to my china bulb, who knows?). The Japan source isn't going to work either.

I did find one online store with OEM bulbs shipped for ~$350. That's not too bad. But, I'm going to stick with the Chinese bulb for as long as it holds out. It seems to be firing more consistently, and I did a re-alignment in the reflector that helped brightness a little.

I'll update this thread when the the china bulb goes.

Sorry to hear that, most of us are always interested in getting these bulb costs down and I for one sure hoped you would be successful.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dam**it!!! Thats where I got mine from about 2 months ago and now it drops another $50. Oh well. My luck if I would have waited mine would have either blew out or they would have gone up in price. In any event I got mine at electrified and it is a genuine sharp lamp.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hey Guys,

Would anyone be interested in pooling resources and trying the XR10X bulb in the DT500/510 and XV-Z3000? There was a thread a while back with photos, and everything seems identical. I was going to try it but didn't want to spend $200 on something that may or may not work. If several of us got together and each put in $30-$50 then one of us can try it out. The xr10x bulb is $202 at electrified.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.