AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first ever front projector (Cinema 13HD) yesterday from Hank at Studio Experience. Before I get into my initial impressions I have to say that these guys were amazing to deal with. I got a superb price and they are one of the few projector places with an unconditional 30 day return policy which I think is needed especially for people like me (the first LCD projector purchase). I did not know what to expect.

I currently have a Mitsubishi 73907 and I have been a RPTV guy for about 4 years now. Once I made the switch from direct-view I could never go back. I don’t have a screen yet because I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this experience or not so im sure some of you will not take these impressions to seriously, but here I go.

I unpacked the unit and it looks really nice. There are a ton of inputs. I don’t have the manual in front of me, but im confident you can hook just about everything up to this prjector. The instructions were easy to follow and I had the projector up and running in about 30 minutes (of course after a quick read through the instruction booklet). I figured this was going to be difficult to setup. Nothing could be further from the truth. Definite bonus points here. I set the projector up in my basement which is about 21*17. I have it about 17 feet from the wall. The room also opens up without that huge box (Mitsubishi 73907) in there. So far so good. My room is currently painted and off white just for a frame of reference. I also have about 90% light control. I know the white wall is not the best, but like I said earlier I did not want to buy a screen in case I decide to return everything.

So I plugged everything in and I fired up the projector. It takes about 30-40 seconds and then a huge blue screen appeared on my wall. So far so good. I went into the menu (I am so used to RPTV’s coming set with 100% contrast) but I was pleasantly surprised to see contrast and brightness around 50% right off the bat. I made minimal changes to except reducing sharpness to 5 since I wanted to see some movies. I love how the sliders are numbered someone at Mitsubishi should think of this!

I hooked up my Panasonic DVD-RP91 through input 3. I put in The Matrix and low and behold a HUGE image appeared on my wall. My first impression was WOW. I couldn’t get over how big the image was. I did not measure it but it made my 73†tv look tiny. It has to be at least 120†probably more. The colors were wonderful. The detail was great as well. I had to pick up my jaw from the floor. I felt like I was at my local Loews theater. I did not notice any screen door effect from about 17 feet away and this was with perfect focus. I was impressed because I was very worried about this. I was stunned at how wonderful the image looked (I still am).

With everything good there is always something bad. There are two issues that I have with this projector. The blacks were not very black at all more like grey. I have a feeling my white wall attributed to this and im confident this can be improved. Even still this does not bother me in the least because the image is so huge and wonderful. I have been watching progressive scan video for2 years now and I have never seen such a detailed image.

The other problem witch to me is the more serious of the two is the fan noise. The fan is loud to me although I only sit about 2 feet away from the unit (the unit is not hanging from the wall). This could be one of the reasons why. I can live with this again, but the bigger problem in my opinion is that the fan is variable. To me, the increase in fan noise is obvious and very annoying. I just wish they made the fan one speed, because I get used to hearing it, but as soon as the second speed kicks in I remember how annoying the sound is.

So there you have it from a first time front projector buyer. If I knew how good these things were I would have never even purchased my 73907. Oh well you live and learn!

Andy

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm guessing that overall ambient light caused by the reflections in your off-white room may be affecting your black level. You can also set the RP91 to "dark" for the black level. Try reducing the sharpness to the lowest settings on both the RP91 and the projector. These blacks are so much better than my DLP was, I'm kind of surprised at your results. Mine looks like pitch black to me.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I Think,than this projector(plv-60=cinema13=eiki vc1)is the best buy in this line of price(dlp or lcd),and I have one question for people than have test this projector in pal system,

what about posterization(solarization)in this color system.

And other thing in pal system dvd no is posible use progresive scan what make the projector with pal in progresive.

thanks best regards

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm using a Grayhawk screen on a 2500 lumen Sanyo LCD with similar contrast level as your HD13 and getting very satisfactory blacks.

Search the screen forum and get the details on how to do a grey-paint screen. Do that first and see if it improves black level. Use AVIA or VE disks and set your projector as best you can, paying particular attention to brightness and contrast levels.

As for fan noise, is the room not furnished or carpeted at this time? A basement room that is a box that is not acoustically dampened enough is going to make everything sound loud. Fan noise has not been a common complaint with this projector so I'd look at the room acoustics first.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why did you go with the 13HD over the Sanyo PLV-60? The fan on the Sanyo is listed at 37 dB , what is it on the 13HD?

I am close to purchasing the Sanyo, and any info would be helpful.

Parag

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you compare the Cinema 13HD with a Seleco HT200DM? Any other DLP comparisons prior to your purchase? Who makes this projector & what price? What are some specs re: ansi lumens and contrast ratios? What HDTV feed are you using and have you noticed any motion artifacts with sports programs? Sorry about the barrage of questions, I'd just like to know what led you firmly into the Cinema 13HD camp. Thanks.

Dr. D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The 13HD is basically the sanyo PLV-60HT. Studio Experience in partnership with boxlight is selling this projector. The firmware has been updated on the 13HD which is the only difference from the sanyo (specs are the same). Sanyo should also be updating the plv-60's but there are so many already out there that the odds of getting one with the newest firmware is slim.

This is info I received from studio experience this morning, as I am getting this projector for an install.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I'd be curious to see what black level you get after removing most of the reflections from the white walls. You could do this with test material that has a full black screen, or a view of space from a sci-fi movie.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I don't have the answers as to how the get the two devices to cooperate...but whatever you do...don't set your DVD player to 480I. Keep your DVD player in 480P and then figure out what you need to do to have the projector be happy with it.

Those who know...isn't the scaler in the 13HD superior to the one in the Sanyo 60? I've heard that whereas the Sanyo give you that "grainy" or blocky image that some mistankingly call the screen door, that the 13HD has a pretty smooth image when hooked with a progressive-scan DVD player. Anybody know of the deinterlacer in the 13HD as 3-2 reversal for NTSC sources like laserdisc and VHS?

-dave

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing that bothers me about the Cinema 13HD is the warranty is not the same as the Sanyo. I believe the Sanyo turns around the product in a 3 or 4 day period and ships it both ways if anything goes wrong. According to the Cinema 13HD manual I am responsible for shipping both ways (unless im reading this wrong) and there is no turnaround time mentioned. Is this reason enough to get the Sanyo PLV-60??

Andy

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have one question. When I have the Cinema 13HD setup in Auto or 480p I cannot select progressive from the projector although my dvd player is progressive? Should I keep my Panasonic in progressive mode or should I set the mode on the projector and dvd player to 480i and then select progressive just on the projector?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Does anyone know Sanyo's policy regarding dead pixels in these units?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did anyone mention price? And is it available through an online vendor? Lastly, I hope the "dust blobs" issue has been corrected since this was the main problem identified with the PLV-60.

Dr D

·
Registered
73 Posts
As we have a lot of open questions and as I would like to ask also, I am bringing this post up again.

13HD ( $6,300 ) x PLV-60 ( $4,700 ) x XP21 ( $5,300 ) x 10HT ( $4,000 )

Which has a better performance/price ratio ? If my view distance will be 10 ft, Should I consider the Panny Plasma 42" ( $4,800 ) because of the short distance?

Thanks for any help,

MoocaT

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where are you guys getting these prices? Inquiring minds want to know...

------------------

Sammy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Projector People put their price down I believe just today to $4799, which includes free UPS ground shipping and "a free DVD player"... that was the email quote I got. check it out at projectorpeople.com.

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
174 Posts
With all due respect to all other vendors, check out return policies and restocking fees carefully.

In my venture of purchasing a projector I ended up selecting Studio Experience. Unless their policy has changed in the past month they have a 30 day money back guarantee, 60 day upgrade policy and are excellent to deal with. In addition they will match any legitimate price.

I would definitely recommend purchasing from Studio Experience and I am sure there are many other members that would vouch for them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
With the recent price drop on the PLV-60 to $4799, you would be hard pressed to find a better value at this price.

Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.