AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 406 Posts

· Banned
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first he did not know what to make of the sound, then as he left the room and came back he began to like it more and more. We would have to send the mechanical drawings of the home to Bruce as anything else going into the attic would certainly impact the architecture and HVAC system. For awhile I thought he was going to say no. Then after about half hour he agreed with me that we should try implementing it.

He then asked Bruce's right hand man how many of these things they had installed, to which he replied two. My client then turned around to me and said, Peter you are a genious.

· Registered
4,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/0

At first he did not know what to make of the sound, then as he left the room and came back he began to like it more and more. We would have to send the mechanical drawings of the home to Bruce as anything else going into the attic would certainly impact the architecture and HVAC system. For awhile I thought he was going to say no. Then after about half hour he agreed with me that we should try implementing it.

He then asked Bruce's right hand man how many of these things they had installed, to which he replied two. My client then turned around to me and said, Peter you are a genious.

I wonder if they count tzucc's installation as one or two.

After all, there are two RTWs in tzucc's theater.

I bet they do have another customer besides tzucc..

· Premium Member
696 Posts
This to me is an product looking for an application. Their own demo showed that there is no reason for it to exist. There is zero software to support it. This has to be the dumbest way to blow $18,000, IMO.

I have heard that the government bought one. Seems it may be used to drive the enemy nuts. I hope they have a way to control the back wave as it is just as loud front or rear.

· Banned
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Fleener /forum/post/0

This to me is an product looking for an application. Their own demo showed that there is no reason for it to exist. There is zero software to support it.

Liar. Just about every Blue Ray and HD DVD has plenty of 0 to 20 action, Casablanca, Mutiny on the Bounty, Forbidden Planet, and Robin Hood being the exception .

· Registered
298 Posts
Allen Fleener says:

Quote:
There is zero software to support it.

Surprisingly, this is not so. Many movie DVD's have acoustic energy between 2 and 20 Hz that usually is not heard because conventional subs just can't play it. During the demo at tzucc's this was very evident. We were unable, however, to find a commercial and conventional music seedee that went below about 22 Hz although we tried some organ works.

Tony commissioned some electronic music and had some other electronic music--Cosmic Hippo and Bottomless Bass were the names of the albums as I recall--that went below 20 Hz as I recall.

I was sceptical at first, too, but "hearing is believing".

· Registered
10,200 Posts

Quote:
Their own demo showed that there is no reason for it to exist.

Well I wasn't at the demo you attended, Allen; and indeed it could have been poorly set up. But that's not what I've heard from other accounts of the demo.

The demo given at tzucc's house, on the other hand, certainly demonstrated its benefits both for movie and music material. There is a decent amount of content to exploit it, though to be fair there is plenty of sub-20Hz filtering going on out there, too.

As for "the dumbest way to blow $18K"---well, there's a lot of things bandied about in this forum that qualify for that.... IMO
Nobody who accepts spending five figures on high-end cables with fraudulently pseudoscientific marketing can rightly criticize a purchase such as this with both audible and measurable effect. Heck, we even did a crude DBT at tzucc's demo.

· Registered
3,120 Posts

Quote:

This to me is an product looking for an application. Their own demo showed that there is no reason for it to exist. There is zero software to support it. This has to be the dumbest way to blow $18,000, IMO.

I have heard that the government bought one. Seems it may be used to drive the enemy nuts. I hope they have a way to control the back wave as it is just as loud front or rear.

Fleener, were you at the rotary woofer CES demo? If that demo did nothing for you, then I understand why you are in the video, and not the audio side of the business. My advice is stay there, your ears don't work.

· Registered
3,120 Posts
btw, Bruce had the CES demo a USGS earthquake tremor signal converted to a WAV file... he played that in the small room driven by one TRW and it was pretty impressive.

BTW, I would add this advice to all future TRW customers. Make sure the backwave is underneath your seats... you will get all the acoustic plus what I discovered to be additive to the experience - the mechanical movement of the backwave wall or floor... I was leaning against Bruce's demo room wall, and it was moving me back and forth 1/4 Inch or so and that movement plus the acoustic sensation made that earthquake feel much more real than just the sound... pretty neat effect. I know that my garage floor (media room ceiling) moved noticably during the TRW demos.

· Registered
3,120 Posts

Quote:

It looks like I have two installs going in in Miami later this year. Keith Yates apparently has one. I told Bruce, their "selling like hotcakes..." He said I wish.

Keep going with revolutionary stuff like the TRW and your curved screen, and don't let the small thinkers deter you. I'd much more likely refer any high end friends to you than to the minimally visioned.

· Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:

It looks like I have two installs going in in Miami later this year. Keith Yates apparently has one. I told Bruce, their "selling like hotcakes..." He said I wish.

Crazy, two in Miami. I wonder if the future owners would be willing to have an HT meet to show off, er, demonstrate the rotary subs. (Alot of us South Florida guys know each other and routinely get together and share tips and knowledge, they may be interested)

· Registered
745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzucc /forum/post/0

btw, Bruce had the CES demo a USGS earthquake tremor signal converted to a WAV file... he played that in the small room driven by one TRW and it was pretty impressive.

BTW, I would add this advice to all future TRW customers. Make sure the backwave is underneath your seats... you will get all the acoustic plus what I discovered to be additive to the experience - the mechanical movement of the backwave wall or floor... I was leaning against Bruce's demo room wall, and it was moving me back and forth 1/4 Inch or so and that movement plus the acoustic sensation made that earthquake feel much more real than just the sound... pretty neat effect. I know that my garage floor (media room ceiling) moved noticably during the TRW demos.

Tony,

I never considered that. Mine will be vented to the crawlspace under my HT. That will surely be an added benefit that I didn't think of. Thanks!

· Registered
3,120 Posts
Lucky. GIven the above 20Hz bass performance in your room, I will come to envy your sound, I am almost sure of it.

Make sure to get that floor mechanical coupling in... again, I think it makes a huge difference.

· Registered
22,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant /forum/post/0

Well I wasn't at the demo you attended, Allen; and indeed it could have been poorly set up. But that's not what I've heard from other accounts of the demo.

The demo given at tzucc's house, on the other hand, certainly demonstrated its benefits both for movie and music material. There is a decent amount of content to exploit it, though to be fair there is plenty of sub-20Hz filtering going on out there, too.

As for "the dumbest way to blow $18K"---well, there's a lot of things bandied about in this forum that qualify for that.... IMO
Nobody who accepts spending five figures on high-end cables with fraudulently pseudoscientific marketing can rightly criticize a purchase such as this with both audible and measurable effect. Heck, we even did a crude DBT at tzucc's demo.

Congratulations, Michael. You are becoming an "audiophile". Pretty soon you and ValhallaPC will be sipping beers together and making power cords. HA!!!

· Registered
10,200 Posts
I'm offended, Steve
Didn't you see that we actually did a double-blind test?

Seriously though---I was not defending spending >$10K on speaker cables; I was only saying that someone who does ought to be careful about labeling a five-figure audio purchase "dumb" when its effect is provably audible.

· Registered
27,728 Posts
A couple of months ago, I chatted with Bruce about one of these for my room.

After a long discussion, my home had no place for the sub to pressurize.

Bruce really tried to make some suggestions but in the end the large space this rotary requires and the inability to keep it from sounding off into other parts of the house (or neighborhood) made it impossible to implement in my situation. My theater is a on a slab as a separate addition to my house and you really need an adjacent space or basement for this to work..

If I ever build again, I will call Bruce prior. If you are building and a theater is in your plans, I would certainly consider this device. If only I'd known about this 6 years ago when we took our home's renovation.....

· Registered
22,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant /forum/post/0

I'm offended, Steve
Didn't you see that we actually did a double-blind test?

Seriously though---I was not defending spending >$10K on speaker cables; I was only saying that someone who does ought to be careful about labeling a five-figure audio purchase "dumb" when its effect is provably audible.

Notice, I didn't call anyone dumb for buying this. And I must say that I agree with you re lets stop hypocrisy. Mebbe I'll start selling "Hypocrisy Cables". Sounds like something made in the time of the HBO show "Rome".

It would sure be a cool demo for our local AzAVClub. I'd feel it.

· Banned
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackyflipside /forum/post/0

Crazy, two in Miami. I wonder if the future owners would be willing to have an HT meet to show off, er, demonstrate the rotary subs. (Alot of us South Florida guys know each other and routinely get together and share tips and knowledge, they may be interested)

Maybe I can disguise you as an installer with Eric Glo, but that would be it, you would be looked down as hired help by the owners if for some reason they were there.

· Registered
4,720 Posts

Quote:

Allen,

This is NOT so!!! There IS content

When Bruce Thigpen did his demo in forum member, and now rotary subwoofer owner, tzucc's

theater, there was a microphone hooked up to a spectrum analyzer. We could SEE the spectral

content of the sound produced, as well as FEEL it.

For example, one of the most impressive examples was the cannon battle between the Archeron

and the H.M.S. Surprise in the movie "Master and Commander". Those cannon shots as

reproduced by the rotary subwoofer reminded me of when I was a graduate student at MIT and

was on the banks of the Charles River on July 4 when the Massachusetts National Guard

test fired the howitzers that would be used to do the cannon shots for the Boston Pops tradition

of playing the "1812 Overture" to celebrate July 4th.

Perhaps you are also unaware of the fact, that sound can not be finite simultaneously in both

the frequency and temporal domains. Because of that, ALL musical instruments actually do

have content in the

At the demo of the final installation of the rotary subwoofer in tzucc's theater; audio maven

Peter Montcrief stated he believes the rotary subwoofer ushers in a new realm of musical

accuracy; since previous sound reproduction systems didn't deal with the

As one who has actually heard the rotary subwoofer, it is definitely NOT a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.