AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year I set up my coffee table home theater - It consists of an Xbox One on an end table, and a BenQ 1085st (originally a Optoma GT760 prior to upgrading) and a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX-Certified Computer speakers on the actual coffee table. The projector fires a 100+'' picture that is only about 130'' inches from the viewer.

See attached photos - The Klipsch Promedia satellites and the projector are on the coffee table. The Klipsch's "subwoofer" is hidden underneith the coffee table.

What I love about this system is that it required no tool knowledge to do (no drilling, etc) which is good because I'm not a handy-man. It would also be easy to move if I changed apartments. It is also extremely cost effective. And space efficient since the coffee table negates the need for a TV stand, etc. Cable management is also surprisingly good.

While I'm real happy with the system currently, upgraditis has struck. I'd like to improve the audio to surround sound.

The obvious choice is the Logitech Z906 system, but I thought I would take other suggestions. I could put the surrounds on stands near the couch. The difficulty is placing the center speaker - the projector won't fire above it. I guess I could put a small center speaker physically on top of the projector.

Any potential solutions must be -

1. Virtually tool-less, easy to install. I don't have shop skills and I'm a renter.
2. Have good cable management as well.
3. In most situations meeting the above conditions, I assume working in near-field is a must.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer -

1. If I were to use separates (i.e, a receiver, etc) would there be any problem with putting the front satellites and center channel on the coffee table in nearfield? Would, say, Audessey or MCACC calibrate for the that?

2. Ideally, if I went the separates approach, I would like the subwoofer to not have to be under the coffee table anymore - i.e, not be localizable. But it seems like few satellite speakers are rated to 80 Hz or lower.

But since i'd be using them in nearfield, could a typical satellite speaker do 80 Hz after all?

3. Or should I just go with a logitech z906 system since it's built for nearfield?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had a much earlier version of the logitec rig for years downstairs. You'll be hard-pressed to find separates that meet your needs for anywhere close to that price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be willing to spend more than the $400 Logitech system, maybe up to $1500.

I've been looking at the Klipsch Quintets, Jamo S25 or S35, or Energy Take Classic. But I don't know if those could be used in nearfield or if they would sound better than the Logitech system (or my current Promedia's) in nearfield.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts