AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my DTC-100 back in December of 2000. I've always been a Sony SAT Man,.. In fact I've never owned anything but sony's during my 6 years with DirecTv. My last was the A50. So, in a nutshell. My salesman offered me an upgrade to the HD-100 by just paying the difference. $719-$494=$225. So without relinquishing my DTC-100 I brought the HD-100 home and hooked it up.

I must say,.. I'm a little disappointed. The VGA output put a 3 inch black bar on the left side of my Mitsu 55807(so that option is unusable). The variable mode caused my TV to flash and flicker while it tried to resync to the output change(I wonder if this is bad for the TV). I also found the on screen display(menu) in 1080i mode to be alot fuzzier than the DTC-100's. I found that it changed channels slightly faster than the DTC-100, but not noticeably faster(it was actually slower if the TV had to sync for a format change. The fan was noticably noisier than the DTC-100. You can't surf other channel's while viewing another(big negative) my A50 allowed it,..it makes no sense why they would take that feature out. Another big negative is,.. that you can't control aspect ratio. You have a choice of 16X9 Tv or 4:3 TV. If you choose 4:3 you'll get letterboxes top and bottom on 16X9 material, if you choose 16X9 all of your 4:3 material will have side bars. Even worse, the letterboxing is black and as far as I can see you can't change it(can you say screen burn). Only one Digital antennae input on the HD-100, the TC-100 has two and I use both in Denver. OTA signal strength was about the same for both units. I did like the integrated OTA guide. Both the DTC-100 and HD-100 have soft upconversion. I also liked the display on the front of the HD-100. The wife doesn't like the silver color(not sure why I added this). I didn't see a noticeable difference in HDTV OR SD picture quality between these two units.

So,.. for me integrated OTA guide, and a choice of VGA(not really) or Component outs aren't valuable enough to withstand this units problems. I've been reading the manual over and over to see if I've missed something. I really was excited about getting back into a Sony,.. I guess I'm an RCA man now(smile). I've never liked the Hughes menu's,.. so I haven't tried the Mitsubishi or Toshiba units.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I take it back about having the same OTA performance. In Denver we have a station with a very weak digital signal(ABC,KMGH). I have to use an outside antennae to get this station. I get 40% strength with my DTC-100, and it locks without breakup at 40%. Using the antennae at the same location,.. I tried to lock this station with the HD-100. To my surprise, I got 94% strength and locked with the Sony. The problem is, the picture kept breaking up. I tried readjusting the antennae to no avail. So my conclusion is, the Sony's DTV strength meter is not accurate and the unit has a harder time, than the DTC-100, with weak signals. If I kept the HD-100, there would be no NYPD for me.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg T:
You can't surf other channel's while viewing another(big negative) my A50 allowed it,..it makes no sense why they would take that feature out.
Are you referring to the index feature, where you surf the Station logos?

Because if you are, the A-50 does not give you any program information other than name and the times of the movie. I also think that the new HD100 does the exact same thing.??

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant that the A50 allowed you to surf through the guide without changing the content in the media windows. I like the guide better than the index feature, because you can see when the shows are going off, coming on etc,..

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg T:
Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant that the A50 allowed you to surf through the guide without changing the content in the media windows. I like the guide better than the index feature, because you can see when the shows are going off, coming on etc,..
I also had the A50 and it works exactly the same as the HD100. When bringing up the normal guide it does not stay on the current channel but follows whatever channel you highlight in the guide just like the HD100. The only way it stays on the same channel is in the Index Guide and only if you turn on the surf mode.

·
Registered
33,594 Posts
Greg,

I posted a similiar issue with the Sony HD100 a couple of days ago regarding the VGA output. I think the Sony suffers from the same VGA output issues that the RCA did when it was new. As you probably know, RCA downloaded software updates several months ago that gave the user a choice of 3 retrace timings as opposed to the one when it was new. When I initially used the RCA on my Zenith HD RPTV, the RCA output sidebars on 4:3 broadcasts that were much too wide, resulting in a significantly smaller (horizontally) picture than normal. With the new retrace timings that problem is gone.

I have the Sony HD100 and find it great when hooked up to my Panasonic Tau 34" HDTV. The "video 3 variable" feature is invaluable to me since I have regained aspect ratio control for non HD material. However, if I were to use it with my Zenith, I'd have to use the component outputs for a perfect picture. I called Sony on this to alert them that a problem does exist with the VGA output. I think as they receive more calls like this they will eventually do what RCA did, offer user selectable retrace timings.

BTW, the issue of selecting 4:3 vs 16:9 in the setup appears to me to be irrelevant. When outputting through the component outputs, this choice is not even available in the menu (its grayed out). The unit automatically selects 16:9 (even though 4:3 may show in the menu, depending on how you originally set it up) through the component outputs. I leave the 4:3 selection (the choice IS available when outputting through "s" video or composite cable) so that I can avoid sidebars when displaying non hd channels from the HD100s output on a standard TV. I would recommend you leave it set for 4:3 for this reason. It will still output a 16:9 picture through component. Ofcourse, when outputting through "s" or composite you must set the Sony to "video 1&2".

In my installation I find the Sony & the RCA to both have excellent reception characteristics. Overall, I think the Sony is a better design but it probably is, as you have found, dependent upon your applications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.