AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Btw, for Chrome/Firefox users there are addons released that make the photobucket issue disappear: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163130

Working for now at least so you can at least view PB hidden images.
Post #5 in the thread above has an update to a newer version of the extension.

Heading back to the beginning of the tread now to see what I missed.

OriginalWhitey - I found your theater from following your signature in a post in another thread... I almost left after seeing the Photobucket "hostage" messages. That would have been a shame. The Avatar picture made me hungry for more. The theater is beautiful. You may want to consider editing the 1st post to include a near completed set of pics (post 94- like) and a link to what @dennwood posted relative to the Chrome/Firefox extensions. There is too much good stuff in here for folks to do a drive-by and leave.

·
Registered
506 Posts
doing some layout to see what would work for a back bar. The couch is a 6 piece pit sectional 117" by 117" so the front of it is where the set stool and foam is and the seating position is at brown chair. This puts the viewing distance 14' from the screen. I originally tried an 8' x 26" bartop since this is a "standard" size I can get a piece of granite for cheap at the local surplus. However, 26 is too wide. The 2x4's are 16" which I think is better. I made my kitchen 14" and I'm happy with that. I'll have to call some granite places to see what the price difference would be. I'd hate to cut an 8' slab of granite by hand at home

The distance from the back wall to countertop edge is 42." Could push everything up a foot if its too tight.

Very interested in where you ended up with the bar. I am looking at a single row of seats and bar when I finally breakdown and do something. I am expecting to have a 14' x 20' shell to work with if/when I add an addition on the house.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just a little update. Insulated the room and am starting on drywall. I didn't yet insulate the inside walls since I still have access to them:

I think it's all on preference. Me personally, I love the largest screen possible. Right now I'm at at 187" screen sitting about 18' back from the screen on ECO mode. I've played with all the zooms and I've never been on a smaller setting and said "wow this is so much better." The clarity looks the same to me. Can you notice a difference? The only reason I would shrink the screen size is to make room for speakers but I'm really hesitant to do that. Nobody ever went to an IMAX and said "wow did you hear that sound?" It's visual first for me. Here's projected on crappy drywall, eco mode 187" 16:9:

Seems like you're not thinking of doing any soundproofing? Clip-and-channel, which most folks on here do, gets a bit pricey. But staggered stud is a lot cheaper and won't eat up much room volume (only needs to bring the walls in by one inch) as compared to dual-stud walls, and gets you decent decoupling that can really help, especially when you add mass (extra drywall layer(s)), damping (Green Glue), and absorption (insulation).

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Seems like you're not thinking of doing any soundproofing? Clip-and-channel, which most folks on here do, gets a bit pricey. But staggered stud is a lot cheaper and won't eat up much room volume (only needs to bring the walls in by one inch) as compared to dual-stud walls, and gets you decent decoupling that can really help, especially when you add mass (extra drywall layer(s)), damping (Green Glue), and absorption (insulation).
His theater is basically done so I doubt he is going to anything more on soundproofing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
His theater is basically done so I doubt he is going to anything more on soundproofing.

My bad, should have looked at the photos more carefully!

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
My bad, should have looked at the photos more carefully!
No problem, I am usually the one that misses things on here. I am still debating on whether to do major soundproofing or just insulation and DDW/GG since I dont have a lot of bass and don't plan on having many more subs, because my family is doesn't like a lot of bass. Also life and more important things are kind of getting in the way.

·
Registered
773 Posts
No problem, I am usually the one that misses things on here. I am still debating on whether to do major soundproofing or just insulation and DDW/GG since I dont have a lot of bass and don't plan on having many more subs, because my family is doesn't like a lot of bass. Also life and more important things are kind of getting in the way.

You and me both. In my case, I'm currently strongly leaning toward just doing some minimal soundproofing and revisiting a full-on build in a few years, assuming I'm still in the house. The full-on build could also integrate a lot of stuff I'm not ready to move forward with now, e.g. HVAC, slick rack setup, Atmos, etc. In my case, I'm not building out a room in a basement like many, I'm throwing up two interior walls to contain a loft space that already has two (exterior) walls. The problem with incremental stuff like DD/GG is that it'll be wasted if I do that full-on build down the road. And I'm acutely aware there's also a logic to just building the damn thing right the first time--but if I do that, it'll still have to be significantly compromised, e.g. there's no way I'm doing costly HVAC stuff for now.

Reactions: Ladeback

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
You and me both. In my case, I'm currently strongly leaning toward just doing some minimal soundproofing and revisiting a full-on build in a few years, assuming I'm still in the house. The full-on build could also integrate a lot of stuff I'm not ready to move forward with now, e.g. HVAC, slick rack setup, Atmos, etc. In my case, I'm not building out a room in a basement like many, I'm throwing up two interior walls to contain a loft space that already has two (exterior) walls. The problem with incremental stuff like DD/GG is that it'll be wasted if I do that full-on build down the road. And I'm acutely aware there's also a logic to just building the damn thing right the first time--but if I do that, it'll still have to be significantly compromised, e.g. there's no way I'm doing costly HVAC stuff for now.
I don't mean to high jack his thread, but our house we hope to be our forever house and the last one we buy. It's a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath ranch, 3 car garage on a little over a half acre. The basement is unfinished and just as big as the main level with almost 9' ceilings. I have many designs, I just need to save up so I can get the bathroom built and the HVAC in, then I can get the room done. I am planning on building for what I have and the future if that is possible. Right now 7.1 with a 1080p projector 120" 16:9 will be good for now. Hopefully i can get started in a few months.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

before I started I did a ton of research on soundproofing and came to the conclusion you either do full in or nothing at all (besides fluff insulation). I decided it wasn't worth the investment or effort. When I think of something that is soundproofed, I'd be able to turn everything to the max and not be able to hear anything outside the room and that is just not realistic. I read of the people investing tons of money in full soundproofing and complain that they can still hear when the neighbors mow the grass. I couldn't see the return on investment.

Everyone's situation is different but I'm happy with my decision. I placed the location of the theater the furthest away from the kid's bedrooms and it hasn't been an issue. I don't feel my viewing habits would be any different if I did full blown soundproofing

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
before I started I did a ton of research on soundproofing and came to the conclusion you either do full in or nothing at all (besides fluff insulation). I decided it wasn't worth the investment or effort. When I think of something that is soundproofed, I'd be able to turn everything to the max and not be able to hear anything outside the room and that is just not realistic. I read of the people investing tons of money in full soundproofing and complain that they can still hear when the neighbors mow the grass. I couldn't see the return on investment.

Everyone's situation is different but I'm happy with my decision. I placed the location of the theater the furthest away from the kid's bedrooms and it hasn't been an issue. I don't feel my viewing habits would be any different if I did full blown soundproofing
I did something similar. I used R19 in all areas (ceiling, walls, columns, etc) and 5/8" drywall, and a solid door, but aside from that nothing else and even when I crank the system it doesn't impact the bedroooms that are two floors up and on the opposite side of the house where the theater is. Obviously every situation and layout is different but I just could not justify the additional expense. We also live in a quiet cul-de-sac with just three other houses, so there is no traffic, noise, etc coming from the outside.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I did something similar. I used R19 in all areas (ceiling, walls, columns, etc) and 5/8" drywall, and a solid door, but aside from that nothing else and even when I crank the system it doesn't impact the bedroooms that are two floors up and on the opposite side of the house where the theater is. Obviously every situation and layout is different but I just could not justify the additional expense. We also live in a quiet cul-de-sac with just three other houses, so there is no traffic, noise, etc coming from the outside.
This has been a big on my mind as to whether to go all the way and decouple the walls, clips and channel on the ceiling with DDW and GG and insulation. My theater is is makeshift right now and is below our kitchen and living room and I can hear it somewhat when I come up stairs. At that time I had only only one 15" sub working and it rattled things a little, but I don't plan on having a ton of subs. My wife and kid don't like it and I find myself turning the bass down when I am watching a movie by myself. The thing that bugs me the most is hearing my son and dog running around above me and it drives me nuts. I more want to keep sound out like foot fall and hearing our HVAC system running when I am in the basement, but I bet if I insulated walls and used 5/8" drywall I would be knock down the HVAC sound. I was hoping that with insulation and 2 layers of drywall would be enough for the foot fall. I don't mind if sound leaks a little in the basement. Our bedrooms are far enough away it doesn't seem to be an issue now. Also my wife doesn't understand the whole soundproofing a room. Now I would like to make sure to use flex ducts when bringing in supplies and returns. That's one thing my brother in law complains about his is that he can hear the air come on.

When I started adding up how much it was going to do a 14'x26'x9' room it got in to the thousands of dollars. I think I rather put that else where, like into a new AVR. Now I probably would do backer boxes, because I think they would help with getting more out of Atmos speakers if they were installed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This has been a big on my mind as to whether to go all the way and decouple the walls, clips and channel on the ceiling with DDW and GG and insulation. My theater is is makeshift right now and is below our kitchen and living room and I can hear it somewhat when I come up stairs. At that time I had only only one 15" sub working and it rattled things a little, but I don't plan on having a ton of subs. My wife and kid don't like it and I find myself turning the bass down when I am watching a movie by myself. The thing that bugs me the most is hearing my son and dog running around above me and it drives me nuts. I more want to keep sound out like foot fall and hearing our HVAC system running when I am in the basement, but I bet if I insulated walls and used 5/8" drywall I would be knock down the HVAC sound. I was hoping that with insulation and 2 layers of drywall would be enough for the foot fall. I don't mind if sound leaks a little in the basement. Our bedrooms are far enough away it doesn't seem to be an issue now. Also my wife doesn't understand the whole soundproofing a room. Now I would like to make sure to use flex ducts when bringing in supplies and returns. That's one thing my brother in law complains about his is that he can hear the air come on.

When I started adding up how much it was going to do a 14'x26'x9' room it got in to the thousands of dollars. I think I rather put that else where, like into a new AVR. Now I probably would do backer boxes, because I think they would help with getting more out of Atmos speakers if they were installed.
We've been thinking through very similar things. I have building permits filed to put up two staggered stud walls to enclose a loft space that already has two existing walls. I've basically decided not to pull drywall off the two existing walls and the ceiling and not do do any clip-and-channel, though I am leaning toward isolating the floor. The staggered stud walls on the interior walls should do a decent job with higher frequency sound, but I'm cognizant that lower frequency sound will still readily be able to travel into the framing and from there elsewhere in the house. I'm not expecting to be able to watch action movies late at night without disturbing the kid or the significant other. Then again, with a second-floor room in a wood-frame house, even a full-on clip-and-channel build would likely not make that feasible.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
We've been thinking through very similar things. I have building permits filed to put up two staggered stud walls to enclose a loft space that already has two existing walls. I've basically decided not to pull drywall off the two existing walls and the ceiling and not do do any clip-and-channel, though I am leaning toward isolating the floor. The staggered stud walls on the interior walls should do a decent job with higher frequency sound, but I'm cognizant that lower frequency sound will still readily be able to travel into the framing and from there elsewhere in the house. I'm not expecting to be able to watch action movies late at night without disturbing the kid or the significant other. Then again, with a second-floor room in a wood-frame house, even a full-on clip-and-channel build would likely not make that feasible.
If you are building a new wall in front of an existing wall and not remove the drywall you will have a triple leaf effect and could cause problems. Yo may want to read this.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/triple-leaf-effect/

·
Registered
773 Posts

As someone else pointed out, rather than all-or-nothing, soundproofing is perhaps best characterized as only being as good as the weakest link. If your walls are awesomely soundproofed but your ceiling and floor suck, your soundproofing will suck. One of the things I've been wrestling with is since my room incorporates multiple windows--which both reduce soundproofing to the outside and couple the interior of the room to the framing to some extent--and also since it's a second-floor room in a wood frame house, even a maximalist build would only reduce sound by so much. But it's hard to figure out what therefore is or isn't justified.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you are building a new wall in front of an existing wall and not remove the drywall you will have a triple leaf effect and could cause problems. Yo may want to read this.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/triple-leaf-effect/
If I had a nickel for every time someone warned me of triple-leaf effects...I would at least be able to buy a cup of coffee. :)

I'm building two new walls (with staggered studs). I'm pretty sure I'm leaving the existing walls as is, i.e. not stripping drywall off them to put in either staggered studs or clip and channel. That's almost certainly rather suboptimal soundproofing, but no extra leaves to blame...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Anyone still watching? Carpet is installed:

Very nice build!

Maybe I missed it mentioned elsewhere on your thread but do you mind sharing how big is your screen and whats your viewing distance? How high is the screen from floor?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Very nice build!

Maybe I missed it mentioned elsewhere on your thread but do you mind sharing how big is your screen and whats your viewing distance? How high is the screen from floor?
It’s a 175” screen and I think the seating is around 15’

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It’s a 175” screen and I think the seating is around 15’
Thanks! What's the distance between floor and screen?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 138 Posts