AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have gone a bit overkill here in my 13'X11' but thats the fun in this. The plan is for this to be my movie room and hopefully in a few years I will move to a house with a real theater room. I already have a Sony HW55 projector mounted and a AT screen that I built, but this will be changing to a non-AT screen. I have been buying all the equipment and this is what I have so far waiting to be built.

(2) UXL-18's powered by inuke6000dsp and waiting on the flat packs once they're cut.

(2) Alpha-8 minions

(1) Alpha-8 Minion Center MTM (whenever its released planning)

For surrounds I was planning on either fusion-6 or the v8 volt coaxials. Can anyone recommend which they would go for between these 2?

Also, once I build the subs and connect them to the inuke how do I go about setting the gains? I think I've read I turn the input gain to full is this correct? It will all be connected to my AVR Denon X4000.

As you can probably see I am a complete rookie to this DIY and need a bit of help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

Since I'm currently considering DIYSoundgroup speakers myself, can I ask why you don't go with three identical front speakers since you have an AT screen ? An also you choice of the Minion over the Alchemy ?

For my part I was planning on using Volt V-8 as surround with the recent angled box.

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason is because they wont be going behind the screen anymore. I will be doing another diy screen that's not at after all the speakers. After looking in my crawl space it was going to be too much of a pain to put speakers in the wall so all my plans have changed.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman8  /t/1523259/my-crazy-diy-room#post_24502288

The reason is because they wont be going behind the screen anymore. I will be doing another diy screen that's not at after all the speakers. After looking in my crawl space it was going to be too much of a pain to put speakers in the wall so all my plans have changed.

I did the DIY subs and have a behringer amplifier. My gain is -3 clicks from full gain. I did this because it was clipping on heavy bass scenes or music. (We like our movies loud
) I was able to raise the level a to +1 on my receiver (Yamaha) and it gives me about the same volume bass wise as with having it at full throttle and less clipping of course.

As far as speakers. I will be doing the Volt Coax as well in the angled boxes. For the fronts and center I am doing 3 of the same alchemy 8 MTMs. If you have the space the extra cash go with at least the 8", the 6's are grate still but why not go bigger. I will have the MTM center build in the next week or so and will advise once its set up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the basic layouts I have drawn up for the room. I believe that should all be correct for Dolby TrueHD 7.1, if anyone sees anything can let me know.

The difference between the 2 layouts are the seats, 1 is the fusion jive seats with armrests and the other without, and I would get the removable armrests. I would prefer the 1 with the built in armrests but that only leaves 16.5" between the wall and the seat armrest to get past and in. Do you think that would be a major issue?

Also in the bottom right corner there is a closet door that swings outward and into the path of the speaker. I was going to take the door off and put a rack in that space, but after going in the the crawl space is was going to be next to impossible to run any outlets to the closet. I have 2 options, I could change the swing of the door into the closet rather than out, or I could take the door and cover it up somehow? I would still need to get into it as I have a file cabinet in there. Does anyone have any other suggestions for that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so after showing the gf the various options she complained about snuggling...
how much of a pain in the ass do you think it would be to climb over **** to get in the seats?? 6" definetly going to be climbing...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
In the front the big boxes are those your subs? I know you are going for the 7.1 specs but I noticed in my case that if I had the subs against the wall I got quite a bit more spl than if I moved them away from the wall. Might want to try it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts