AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I've got what I like to call the "baby Martin Logan" setup...

L/R - Martin Logan Montage

C - ML Frescoi

Sub - ML Dynamo

Receiver - Denon 2807

Overall, I am extremely happy with the sound/investment thus far, but this leaves me with some questions.

I've thought of picking up a less expensive pair of rears for the time being, just to have something back there, any opinions on this? My understanding is the rears are only on 30% of the time, and since they are mostly "accents" I don't need to be as concerned with matching the soundstange front to back as I do L/C/R. Wrong? Right? indifferent? (ex: I can pick up 4 Elemental Designs A3 - 5TC's for 1/2 the cost of 1 ML Vignette (the rear speaker that "matches" my current setup)

Is this frowned upon? Any recommendations for quality surround speakers that don't break the bank?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I dont know much about them but apparently the ATF driver is sourced from a company called BG corp. i know they offer less expensive options that might match up better then a traditional type of speaker like a tweeter etc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well... I think Lucas and Abbey Road studios would disagree with that philosophy. It's best to keep the soundstage as close as possible all the way around the room. Skimping on the rears would give an unbalanced sound. Not to mention the driver makeup of the eDs are completely different. To be perfectly honest the Fresca doesn't even really match the fronts. It "mimics" the sound of the electrostats using ribbon tweets.

Best option - Order the ML Matinee center, buy one more Fresca and use the Fresca's for rears.

OR keep the Fresca in the center, order 2 more frescas for the rears. Vignettes if you really don't want to splurge.

Plus eD sucks... or at least their quality control and back end customer service does. They are great until you get a defective product, or question the integrity of their drivers. Then they just go on the attack.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Havok- this speakers aren't electrostatic

However, I do agree, i would try for the vignettes if you can make it happen.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Of course, matching is ideal, but I didn't do it. I don't really have any regrets, since it allowed me to get the best mains and sub I could get my hands on. Each of my 4 surrounds cost only 1/20th of one of my mains. If you listen to mult-ch music (I don't), I'd try for the Vignettes. If they are only for HT (like me), I think having a mismatched brand is totally fine for surrounds, if just for the time being.

And as for the ATF not matching the stats... well thats what I do up front. Works great for me. I actually found the ATF to be less sibilant with dialogue than the tweeter on the ESL centers. At a fraction of the cost too.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivisionbyZero /forum/post/12957701

Is this frowned upon?

I would not actually say "frowned upon", but it depends on what your intentions are and what you can afford.

I have a similar setup with Vistas for mains and Fresco for Center. They replaced my JBL S312's and S Center. I am still using my old JBL S38's as my surrounds, so I did have a matching set at one time. It was a really good performing set.

Here is the current setup....

The intention is to get a ML Stage later to replace the current Fresco that is my center (not a perfect match) and also purchase another Fresco to then use as my surrounds. This is of course, after my account recovers from the current upgrade.

Going ML has not been cheap (so I understand your dilemma), but I have wanted some for years now.

The new combo works great with HT and are more than acceptable for multi-channel music. The kicker is that since I purchased the Vistas, I really do not listen to music in multi-channel any longer. Its pretty much all 2 channel now and I could not be happier about it.

If you are going to listen to a lot of music in multi-channel music, then I agree that the following would be best.....

2 More Fresco's for surrounds or

1 Stage or Matinee for Center with 1 more Fresco for Surround or

2 Vignettes for Surround

With those options, you should be happy and feel that your system is complete. That is until you feel the need to possibly get an amp to drive those ML's.

I also purchased a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp to drive all my speakers, using a Denon 4308 as the pre/pro. Lets just say that I have not looked back.

Ultimately, it is about what sounds good to you and makes you happy.

Good Luck!

Later

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/12971526

is that a stand from JSp-industries? Looks good

Yes it is and thank you very much.

I love this stand and it has tons of room.

Later

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There is a similar stand sold at walmart (very solid all black metal frame and glass) for one benjamin.

Anyway the Martin Logans use an ATF NEO driver from BG corp (Bohlender-Graebener same folks from Wisdom Audio $$$$$). The radia line Z-1 reviewed at both Audioholics and Stereophile has this very same tweeter and there is a 'watered down economy' version on the Acculine speakers so any of those would be a great cheaper option for surround duty without major loss of timbre matching. The larger surrounds of the radia line R-18i feature a large neo ribbon midrange that pivots/rotates so that it can be set up as a direct radiator or dipole etc (very very cool). Dont know why no one gives the ATF drivers any credit - they sound fantastic and there is no need to plug in speaker to wall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been very happy with the quality sound from the ATF tweeters. It also fits nicely in my budget as well.

I appreciate all the input, liltalkm, that is a beautiful setup. I'm envious. I think I'll "deal" (its tough to have to deal with ML... ) with my current setup, and see how the little lady will handle another "investment".

The longer I wait, the more options I'll have... I could upgrade the fronts, move the montages to the rears, the frescoi to the rear-center and get an entire new front stage. (oh how a man can dream) Time shall tell..

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts