AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are building a new house and our LR will now pull dual duty. Our previous house we had a 4th Bedroom (13x21) as our HT and had a 55" Sony in the LR for daily use. We will be set up with the 55" again for daily use and the projector for movie night and sporting events(pretty much every weekend). I plan on building a cabinet and have the TV lower into it and the fixed projector screen will be on the wall behind it.

I'm currently trying to decide the setup for the new house where a projector will be in the LR. I could have the electricians (or me) run the necessary outlets and cabling to install the Sony projector but then I have to box it in and/or get it to not stick out tooooo much. this isn't totally an issue as I have a full woodshop and can design and build anything but no matter what I will not be able to disguise it 100%.

So I started looking at USTs, namely the Optoma CinemaX P2 and the, gulp, LG HU85LA.

I know all of the advantages and disadvantages of long throw vs UST but I wanted to get some opinions on picture quality between my current Sony and those two USTs. I realize not everyone has seen both or any of them. I was very happy with the Sony picture on a 110" Cinegray 3D screen in our light controlled room. Even when we had some lights on or it wasn't totally dark I was still happy with it(I would have to bump to "Bright Living Room" picture setting when watching sports with people over so we could have some light from the windows or the overhead lights on(was still very watchable but obviously not like lights off in reference mode).

In the new house there will be windows but they will have blinds so again we will be able to control a lot of the light but I would like it if we could watch with people over and have some lights on.

So I'm trying to decide if the at least $3000 cost to go to a UST will get me as good or better picture than the Sony in both moderate ambient light and mostly dark settings.

The picture quality isn't the be all end all driving the decision. I still have to decide if setting up for the Sony is worth it as well. Those two things are my main driver, and I know that's everyone's decision when deciding UST vs LT but since I have a decent LT already it makes it a little tougher. Also trying to figure out how to place that UST and the TV cabinet will be a challenge but it's not impossible. 28" out to the front of the Optoma is a little worrisome aesthetically.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always had Sony from the CRT to the HW30ES , the HW45ES which was a big improvement over the 30ES . I then purchased a 295ES and now a 715ES. I am not familiar with the two other models but the 715ES will give a much more brilliant, live-like picture compared to the 45. Also I use the 715ES during the day for exercise training and the image is very good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts