AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't take any photos during building or the initial assembly process, but here is my all aluminum curved frame (45" x 108" with a 40' radius). Radius is formed within an 1/4" of 40' and top and bottom match within 1/8". Screen material is Seymour's XD material and attached using o-rings through grommets on short bolts. It is suspended from the ceiling on 1/16" aircraft cabling. Everything fit, so I'll take it down, unassemble and and have the frame powder coated flat black soon...

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Very cool and looking forward to the completed pics. How did you curve the frame?

·
Registered
626 Posts
It looks like you had 8020 make the frame for you, is this correct? Did you just supply them with the width you wanted and the radius? How much did they charge for this, if you don't mind me asking. It looks sweet!

-Sean

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I originally asked the 8020 factory and my local 8020 distrubutor to form the radius. They can't and didn't know anyone that could...

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Shaun5 we need specifics and details....

Do you use a lens? Have any screen shots to us? Can you take another pic of the frame from the side i.e. left to right so we can better see the curve?

Here is a tutorial on how imbed pics to your thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=10368758

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the extrusions are from 8020.

Lens is coming. I am having to move a canned light to reposition the projector, so nothing good to show... I couldn't come up with a good angle to show the curve. When I take it down for powder coating, I'll take one while it is on the floor.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am reluctant to post how the curve was formed, mainly because I do not want to mislead anyone on thinking it was easy or cheap. It was done by a skilled operator on a piece of equipment (not a tubing roll bender) VERY few people would be able to access. IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER, I WOULD PURCHASE A STEWART CURVED AT FRAME!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I failed to mention the cost...

I have about $1000 in supplies (not including forming) and powder coating will be $200...

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hey Shaun5,

I can understand your hesitation but I'm confident we would all like to get whatever details you can provide. We like to see what and how others came up with, and how they got there. It can offer us an alternative to the traditional products, give us an idea to run with, or like you stated decide why bother and go for a finished product.

I had my mind set and getting a local fabricator to make me a metal and perhaps curved frame, but tr6 posted his wooden frame and it gave me the idea and motivation to make my own wooden frame. My design was a little different but it got me going with it and saved me a bundle from a getting a one time manufactured frame.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun5 /forum/post/18279355

IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER, I WOULD PURCHASE A STEWART CURVED AT FRAME!

I hear ya. I think I made similar comment regarding an ISCO III (and a new car) when designing and building my MK4 lens
However I am glad I took this to completion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun5 /forum/post/18283920

I failed to mention the cost...

I have about $1000 in supplies (not including forming) and powder coating will be $200...

So as a percentage, what cost saving (if any) has this DIY project compared to the genuine product?

When I curved my AT screen, I simply flexed an exsisting "flat screen". If I had that over again, I'd still so the same, I'd just do the actual curve a little different as the method I used is not really "duplicatable".

·
Registered
669 Posts
"shaun5"

What was the bending machine that was used to bend your T-slot rail ? Are you saying that having that done

is hugely expensive ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Without including the forming, I don't think I saved anything... (I would definitely sell mine for a percentage of what I have in it)

I started this project thinking in the back of my head I could market an high quality curved frame (or at least the formed components) at a reasonable price. I even have a second design that would include masking. I intended to make it right after the first. It would require a completely different forming process, but I've lost my initial enthusiasm. So I don't know when or if I'll proceed....

If you have a design or extrusion you would like formed, send me a PM. I'll try and point you in the right direction...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts