AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a Sony VCR/DVD combo that he bought about 6 years ago. He always uses the VCR portion, but very rarely watches DVDs. But the few times he's used it, it worked fine with no problems. But the other day, he wanted to watch a DVD, and the disc tray wouldn't open. I did some testing and when you press the Eject button, you hear the player trying to eject the tray, but something is stuck and the tray wouldn't come out. After press the eject button several times for 5 minutes, it finally opened and we were able to watch the DVD. And here's the weird part..after I got it to eject, the tray would open and close just fine until we power off the unit and leave it off a day or so. Then a day or two later, we'd have to play with eject button to get it to open and close again. I find that so odd. Either it works or it doesn't, you would think.

What's going on? Why is the player being so stubborn like this? Why does it have a hard time opening and closing like this? What's the cause of it and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I'm going to guess it's a rubber belt that has become old and stretched or maybe a rubber idler pulley. It probably slips and after you tried it many times in a row it finally had enough grip to open the tray.

You could take it apart and push EJECT and look for anything slipping. For slipping rubber parts I've had good luck with a product called Re-grip although it may be hard to find locally. It makes the rubber grippy again although for the cost of a bottle you might be able to purchase the actual belt or pully from a TV repair shop, or online from a place like MCM electronics.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19643011

I'm going to guess it's a rubber belt that has become old and stretched or maybe a rubber idler pulley. It probably slips and after you tried it many times in a row it finally had enough grip to open the tray.

You could take it apart and push EJECT and look for anything slipping. For slipping rubber parts I've had good luck with a product called Re-grip although it may be hard to find locally. It makes the rubber grippy again although for the cost of a bottle you might be able to purchase the actual belt or pully from a TV repair shop, or online from a place like MCM electronics.

That's weird how the rubber belt got old and stretched since he barely uses it. My 11 year old Sony DVD player still open and closes just fine. Odd!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, rubber can become brittle when it just sits there. Of course it can also become worn out if stretched too much.

Rubber sucks, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, if you can't fix it simply, I wouldn't bother trying to service it beyond that. These combos are pretty cheap and you can snag another for about a c-note or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts