AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the new thread but thought this was significant. My PT-50LC13 made a funky noise and the lamp flickered and died. I tried to power off and on and the lamp flickered a bit but would not return. I also noticed a wierd sound off and on that sounded like there was a damn cricket in my set. I called Panny and the guy thinks it is either a bad bulb or a power supply issue.

I bought this set thru CC and called them and I have 2 days left on their return policy. They do not have any Pannys as they sell them out before they put them on display. They checked their warehouse system and they were out there also. Waiting period would be at least 2 to 3 weeks...best guesstimate. They do have the new Hitachi 50 LCD but the price would be an additional $500 or so. No DLP's in stock. I could call and get service thru a local Panny service provider but do I want to?

This really sucks root cuz I loved this set. Any thoughts?

· Registered
661 Posts
OUCH!!! I wonder if you could get your money back and pick up the same set at Tweeter or somewhere else for the same (or lower now) price? You would think CC might be willing to budge from that +$500 difference for the Hitachi if you mention that the alternative is refund and taking your business elsewhere.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolfo
OUCH!!! I wonder if you could get your money back and pick up the same set at Tweeter or somewhere else for the same (or lower now) price? You would think CC might be willing to budge from that +$500 difference for the Hitachi if you mention that the alternative is refund and taking your business elsewhere.
Don't have a Tweeter here. We must be on the same wave length tho cuz I just called Sears and told them what happened and the sales guy is making some calls as we speak. Maybe they can come up with a match.

Not sure what CC will do if I just say give me my money. They might drive down the Hitachi from the 2999 they quoted me over the phone. Any way you cut it tho this really sucks.

· Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Any way you cut it tho this really sucks
I don't know about that - I think it could suck allot more if this happened in two days. I guess they need to tweak the failure time just a little at the factory.:)

· Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
We must be on the same wave length tho cuz I just called Sears and told them what happened and the sales guy is making some calls as we speak. Maybe they can come up with a match.

Not sure what CC will do if I just say give me my money. They might drive down the Hitachi from the 2999 they quoted me over the phone.
Bulbs and power supplies have been a problem for Samsung and Panasonic DLP sets so a new set or repair is not a guarantee that it won't happen again.

Figure out "your" best deal and go with that. If you start dithering about it you will turn into a DLP.

If you want to put pressure on CC go to the store prepared to get your money back. Talk to the manager and let the chips fly. :D

Stay your old sweet self throughout though.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who said I was sweet? The Sears dude called me back and said they won't do a price match + 10 back. They called the local CC store to see if they could buy at the price I did and the CC people said no. Damn. I guess I will just take this mofo back and see what they do. I wouldn't mind another Panny but I hate the idea of no stinkin TV for 2 or 3 weeks.

· Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
Who said I was sweet?
Sorry I maligned your disposition. :(

What will two or three weeks mean fifty years from now, or even in January? :)

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you thought I was "Sweet" cuz I offered to drive 350 miles to wake Dee Dee up every morning by turning on her TV. She was dismayed cuz her new Panny did not include an alarm clock. That was kinda sweet of me to offer I think.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To close this story off (hopefully), I went to CC and traded this dead set in on a new Panny. It should be here when it gets here I guess.

· Registered
51 Posts
My new 617w was bought on 8/14/2003. It die on second days. It had similar issue. First it intermittenly lost audio, and late on second days. Poping sounds.. smoked from the back. next thing you know.. No Visual.. I declared it as dead at the scene. The local dealer is replacing it. Unfortunately, they don't have it in stock. I have to wait for the next shipment. I just got the call, they recieved 6 of them yesterday, it will be delivered this Sunday... I wil lbe smiling once again :)

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Misery loves company so thanks for sharin. I am ok now. I realize this happens from time to time and hopefully the new sets we both get will be fine. I do feel lucky this happened before the 30 day return was up at CC. I like the idea of a brand spankin new set over a repaired one. One curious thing: While I was waiting for all the paper work to be processed a couple of CC boys were tryin hard to push me into one of their service plans. I said...ok...tell me about it. Basically one of them was a 2 year policy for $350 or so. So I asked, "Is that 2 years after the 1 year warranty Panny gives me?" The response was that it was two years from date of purchase. I responded to them that it would then be a 1 year service plan since Panny takes care of the first year. But we will give you "in home" service they tell me. I responded that Panny would do the same as they told me so when I talked to them yesterday. I wouldn't necessarily call these service plans deceptive but they sure don't fully explain the parameters. JMHO.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
Yeeesch! I'm anticipating a lot of angry LCD and DLP owners when their bulb or power supply fails at some unthinkable moment - day of the Super Bowl, 7th game of the World Series, any NASCAR event or God forbid - just when you want to watch Jerry Springer.:eek:

· Registered
341 Posts
Manpig:

I think you were wise to get a new Panny. Make sure you have another 30 days to return the new one! I hope it arrives soon. I love my Panny also. I did buy Sears' 5 year warranty and the sales guy promised it covers the bulb. I don't generally buy extended warranties, but I figure if the bulb goes once in the 5 years, then it's pretty much paid for itself.

Let's hope your experience is the exception and not the norm!

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow up:

Did not have any luck getting the replacement Panny as CC has been stocked out for over a week now. I called and they had the Hitachi 50V500 and it was on sale. I called Sears and did a price match and then called CC back with the price match Sears came up with. CC agreed to sell me their one boxed unit for a better price so I went with it. The set will deliver tomorrow and I will be up and running again. I guess I ain't no Pannywhore nomore. I will miss all my old Panny buddies as they were a damn fine bunch. I will never knock the Panny as I loved the set and had CC had one available it would be sitting in my home. I will have the opportunity to compare PQ and a few features of the Panny vs the Hitachi since I did have the Panny operational for 4 weeks. Right now my feelings are that either set is a good value and will make their owner's mucho happy.

Does this make me a Hitachi Ho?

· Registered
117 Posts
I would truly be interested in hearing your comparison between these two sets since you will have had a first hand in home experience with both sets.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
Manpig,

OK if you just call you "Hi-Ho"? :)

ENJOY THE SET!

David
Thanks Dave, but I will miss the Panny boys and Dee. I may have to visit your threads from time to time to see what's up.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by janko
Hitachi color isn't as good...IMHO
Janko, it may not be and if it ain't I will be the one sayin so right along with you. I'm not married to any tv or manufacturer or type of technology.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.