AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Viewsonic 1030 pjl ( Davis 650 clone ) dmd has failed. The projector has about 5000 hours on it and am on the second bulb. I have a whole segment that went out. The segment rises from the bottom of the screen to midway of the screen. The segment appears to be about 32 pixels wide. One vertical line is on while the next vertical line is off. This is repeated about 16 times. The projector is ceiling mounted so the damaged portion of the dmd actually the top portion. I believe nci handled Davis' repairs before Davis' demise. What is their web address or email contact?

·
Registered
410 Posts
coug, I'm fairly certain when the DMD goes bad like this the only option is to basically replace the whole optical engine, which is not economically feasable for getting it repaired yourself (under warranty would be a different matter). I know of one guy that rents DLX650's from a rental company and he has had a few do the exact same thing, he ends up putting them on ebay for around $400-500 since they aren't worth fixing anymore :(

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I think your pretty much out of luck unless you can find someone selling the optical engine from a 650...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Curious - the fact that an entire section in block shape fails.

This indicates not the mirrors but the steering has failed. Is this on or off-chip? Could this be a failure in an external component in the Davis?

J-kun

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have been reluctant to speak about such problems... as they are similar to the ones in the Marantz units. Entire rows failing.

Well, in the case of the Marantz, the units are a 16x9 PJ panel. The length is longer.

In the PJ's, where the DMD panels are actually electrically addressed, they are held in place, and in contact to, the DMD panel proper by usually 4 pressure points(corners). The DMD is actually free sitting, and is forcibly held in contact. Many times the stressing of the lock down system can be too high, and cause curvature in the board where the contacts are created. Or, one of the steel bars that enact this contact pressure (both horizontal, one top, one bottom.. one screw on each end of each bar) can 'bow' from too much screw tightening. The longer the bar, the greater the bow in the pressure system, the more likely the contacts will fail to be correct.

This could be the failing rows in 16X9 panels. Or, the pressure loosens, as it is done with screws in plastic and metal.. so the pressure can loosen on one end. In most of the more modern machines, they use a full aluminum plate to enact the contact pressure, so as to be sure this problem does not rear it's ugly head.

The Marantz, being new to this game, may not quite have this understanding in place.. and it may have been corrected in the current manufacturing run, or I am off base here.. entirely. My depth of experience in dealing with failing electronics (extensive techichian-repair background), tells me That there is great possibility that I am entirely right. Especially when the symptoms about what the Marantz units are doing, is added into the equation. Most especially, when you add the behavior of heating up,and it goes away... shaking the machine and it goes away etc. It can also be the connectors that bring the signal onto he format ter board,as well(the formatter board is usually the one with the panel on it,if I recall correctly). that is a fairly complex connector junction, and all he mechanical stressing of the junction IS the contact point between the two board's.

So, in essence, there is great chance that your DLP projector merely has to be taken apart, and put back together again. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,615 Posts
Coug,

I just posted a response to this question on the other forum section, so this is a repeat. Contact NEI Electronics in Atlanta. The parts dept e-mail address is [email protected] They performed all the service work for Davis in north america.

Good Luck,

John G

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't want to claim to understand what Ken said :), but I think I agree.

My understanding is when rows of pixels fail like that, it's the connector to the DMD that is bad, not the DMD itself. It happened to me - see this thread .

Unfortunately, I was told I can't fix it myself.

I'd bet one of our resident projector hackers might be able to however! :)

Mike

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK

So, in essence, there is great chance that your DLP projector merely has to be taken apart, and put back together again. It's worth a shot. [/b]
Ken how would this be done? Viewsonic is denying any warranty claim as they state it is refurbished model not discontinued model as I claim and invoice does not state that it is refurbished( Invoice states 3year warranty for discontinued models one year for refurbished model in their disclaimer. When I bought vie online was told discontinued model. Web page here at Viewsonics outlet store says exactly what I bought in 2000.) I saved web page on older computer which would of straightened things out only to have that computer hard drive to fail last year. Invoice nor serial plate never indicates refurbished model.) So it looks like Iam out of luck unless I file legal action against Viewsonic or take apart and rebuild like Ken stated.

Any legal advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,615 Posts
Hi Coug,

Sorry to read about your problem. You might consider two "approaches". First, call Viewsonic again...assuming that is who you purchased it from... and ask to speak to the customer support manager. Have all your documentation available and ready to fax to that individual. Try to exhaust all your administrative remedies and don't mention legal action (i.e. never 'threaten' to sue).

The 2nd avenue is to determine what it will cost to have the machine serviced. That could be done by NEI in Atlanta....OR, if you want to be a bit more 'creative', contact "Thumper". He's a gentleman in Maryland who modifies DLP and LCD projectors to get more bang out of them. He probably knows as much about the projector as NEI and you could talk to him about the problem and what other things he could do to improve the performance of your projector. For more info about Thumper, just do a forum search under "Thumper" and you will find plenty of feed back. He just modded my Davis DL-S8 and I'm very pleased with the result. Thumper's e-mail is: [email protected]

good luck,

John G

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by johng
Hi Coug,

Sorry to read about your problem. You might consider two "approaches". First, call Viewsonic again...assuming that is who you purchased it from... and ask to speak to the customer support manager. Have all your documentation available and ready to fax to that individual. Try to exhaust all your administrative remedies and don't mention legal action (i.e. never 'threaten' to sue).

good luck,

John G
I purchased product from viewsonic's online outlet store in feb 2000. Warratny stated 3 years for discontinued and one year for refurbished products. Web page I had saved was exactly the same as link above except the price was 1200$ more. Web page said discontinued model as it does now. I faxed all pertinant information to customer service and supervisor handled claim. DENIED. I still have original packaging and no mention of refurbished anywhere on box invioce or pj. I believe Viewsonic violated the Deceptive trade act . I would not have purchased pj if I had known it was refurbished with one year warranty. I was looking for three year warranty as this pj replaced my rear display TV and my crt monitor. I was told all davis clones are refurbished models yet they are still listed as disconitued on their web page. All purchasers of viewsonics 1030 pj from viewsonic's online store face this problem. Here is Viewsonic's info page on warrnty issues and what encompasses disconitued and refurbished web page . Any suggestions, looks like legal solution is only answer left.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hi Coug,

Sorry to read this. It sounds like you've exhausted your administrative remedies.

To calirfy, was the reason they denied your request for warranty service because it was a refurbished model whose warranty had expired? Your sales receipt and the box...including the area where the s/n is posted...say nothing about "reconditioned", "refurbished", etc? Was the original s/n on the box and projector changed? You MIGHT try again, by phone, and ask...very politely...whether you could speak to the supervisor's supervisor. Just remember that no matter how 'wronged' you might feel, you have to convince them to (from their perspective) do you a favor.

The legal stuff is all well and good. You always have the option of reporting this to the FTC, but consider the amount of time and energy you will spend in the hope of obtaining the result you want.

Consider the 2nd path, the one I suggested earlier. In the long run, you may find it is "cheaper" to find out what it will cost to repair the projector and just "do it". Some times the cost-to-benefit ratio of these situations means swallowing hard and cutting your losses. Most unfortunately.

By the way, regarding the Viewsonic being Davis re-furbished clones. I'm skeptical about that. Someone may have posted that projector 'x' is really a Davis, but a number of manufacturer's purchased parts, etc from Davis. Right off the top of my head, I can think of several very well respected projectors whose 'guts' are from Davis including Dreamvision and Dwin. In no way would those machines be considered refurbished. More likely, Viewsonic 'sourced' all or part of the projector from Davis. That's why it is referred to as a 'clone'.

Best of Luck,

John G

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by johng

To calirfy, was the reason they denied your request for warranty service because it was a refurbished model whose warranty had expired? Your sales receipt and the box...including the area where the s/n is posted...say nothing about "reconditioned", "refurbished", etc? Was the original s/n on the box and projector changed?

John G
Yes the reason for the denial was due to unit being refurbished; warranty expired feb 2001. Nowhere on any invoice, original box, or on the unit itself is there any mention of unit being refurbished. The s/n on the box and projector match, though upc code and s/n are printed on label attached to box. This means nothing as I have original Sony cd changer box that was purchased new and has same details and format printed on similar label. Discontinued models like the one in my previous link are warrantied for 3 years. Only that the projector in my previous link although being stated discontinued is really refurbished according to Viewsonic's customer service reps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.