AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just purchased a new Samsung 6300 40" LED TV and a Samsung BD-5700 Blue Ray player.  

The TV has a digital optical out.  The blue ray player has a digital coax out.  Of course both have HDMI ports.

I still have my, historically under-utilized, Denon AVR-1602 receiver/amp.  It only has one digital optical in and one digital coax in.  It does not have HDMI ports.

My one limitation is this...My wife only wants the simplicity to turn on the T.V. and that's it.  So, below is how I have it configured right now.  It allows me to turn on my receiver/amp when I want better sound, but still use only the T.V. and it's speaker(s) with out the receiver amp.

Blue ray -- HDMI -- TV -- Digital Optical -- Denon 

What is the best way of incorporating these three units for home theater sound?

Currently the only speakers I have running to my receiver/amp are 2 - Bose 201s.  I need more speakers.

Since my Denon is only a 5 channel system is it still going to give good surround sound considering the more modern audio tracks?

Will I be better off just updating to a more modern receiver amp or will this amp work fine?

​I'm merely an amateur audiophile.  I just want good theater sound and to, finally, fully utilize my Denon.

John 

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
If you only have 2 speakers then connecting the receiver to the TV's optical output is fine.

Do you have a cable/sat box or do you watch over the air TV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I watch over the air T.V. plus internet.  

I plan to add the remaining 3 speaker channels soon.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
OTA broadcast will get you Dolby Digital 5.1 thru optical.

Connect your Blu Ray with the digital coax cable to the AVR-1602.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts