AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cable box and HD BluRay as sources, and a Sony 55" 4K AndroidTV. We like YouTube and Netflix and we can get them either from the cable box or the TV itself. Previously we used a Harmony remote to control the system. When we got the TV it replaced a plasma monitor. As a result the way we built the system was with the Denon 3808CI as aide to the Harmony remote, and the only input to the TV was from the AVR. An optical cable conveyed the audio from the TV to the AVR when we wanted to use it for YouTube.

After changing the cable box, something went wrong and the Sony TV lost the plot. When ever we changed the "source" to the TV the Harmony commands that were supposed to switch back to anything else at the source would fail to switch the video. But we just cut back on using the Sony TV as a source because it duplicated what the new cable box could do.

Now that the AVR is dead, we are literally dying. We have been forced to connect stuff to the TV and use its built-in speakers. It still gets confused if we try to use the TV for YouTube. I think what is wrong is that there doesn't seem to be a direct command in the Sony's vocabulary for directly selecting some source. Also if you go to the internal source to use an app like Netflix, you *are* on the last input you were on. For example I had to unscramble this omelette a couple of hours ago. It was on input-1 and input-1 was what I wanted to be on, but the TV continued to display its home screen instead of the cable box. I had to cycle it around through the other 5 connections back to input 1 (4 inputs plus mirroring and terrestrial TV).

The next move is to get something hooked up so that we are using the Zu Omen tower speakers again. I have looked at the Denon AVR-S750H and it looks like a decent choice based on specs. To be honest, the Yamaha RX-V485BL could also handle this setup it seems to me. I also like the fact that there's a huge store down the road that has these and several other options, which I could just go and get.

After getting an AVR I can re-tackle the problem of controlling the TV. Should the TV have the feeds come in to it and ARC to the receiver? Will I need to disable CEC?

·
Registered
758 Posts
If the AVR was acting as the hub before, most modern AVRs like the ones you mention should be able to replace it easily. You could set CEC the way it was before.
The 5 channel AVR-S650H might be more equivalent to the RX-V485.
The 7 channel AVR-S750H might be more like the RX-V585.
The feature sets are very similar between the pairs, including eARC, bluetooth transmission, streaming apps, etc
Are you fine with 5.1, or are you thinking about 7.1/Atmos? Are the towers the only speakers in place?
The RX-V485 has a Zone 2 capability playing 3.1 in one room, and stereo in the other if you don't have 5.1 set up and that's useful.

I have a cable box and HD BluRay as sources, and a Sony 55" 4K AndroidTV. We like YouTube and Netflix and we can get them either from the cable box or the TV itself. Previously we used a Harmony remote to control the system.
... the only input to the TV was from the AVR. An optical cable conveyed the audio from the TV to the AVR when we wanted to use it for YouTube.

The next move is to get something hooked up so that we are using the Zu Omen tower speakers again. I have looked at the Denon AVR-S750H and it looks like a decent choice based on specs. To be honest, the Yamaha RX-V485BL could also handle this setup it seems to me.
I also like the fact that there's a huge store down the road that has these and several other options, which I could just go and get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the AVR was acting as the hub before, most modern AVRs like the ones you mention should be able to replace it easily. You could set CEC the way it was before.
The 5 channel AVR-S650H might be more equivalent to the RX-V485.
The 7 channel AVR-S750H might be more like the RX-V585.
The feature sets are very similar between the pairs, including eARC, bluetooth transmission, streaming apps, etc
Are you fine with 5.1, or are you thinking about 7.1/Atmos? Are the towers the only speakers in place?
The RX-V485 has a Zone 2 capability playing 3.1 in one room, and stereo in the other if you don't have 5.1 set up and that's useful.
This is a very helpful reply. Thanks, @philpoe.

I'm not really interested in using CEC. At work we have at least 2, often 3 HDMI monitors per developer, and the people who leave CEC enabled have had the most trouble during WFH. I don't need a troublesome feature when I'm home relaxing. It should not be my first priority to analyze CEC offerings, but it's a bugbear with me.

As far as implementing 5.1, I live in hope. I have sort of considered some 2.0-oriented amps like Denon DRA-800H, but like the PC owner who has a $500 graphics card to run roblox, I can't quite give up the idea of real surround sound. What I have done in the past with the 3808, and its now forgotten Yamaha predecessor, has been to define my speakers as large, enable the synthetic surround feature, and basically run 2.0. All of the speakers I have employed have a wide range. I've used EPI 3-way speakers from literally 1980 that had 12" bass drivers and a port. When the mounting failed on the bass drivers of those, I made an emergency acquisition of some Sony speakers that had 8" bass drivers and, even though these were more like bookshelf speakers in overall size, I kept the configuration, and of course the Zu Audio Omens have 10" drivers and are even taller than the EPIs. When my wife moved in, I had a very provisional 4.0 set up, but we kept bumping into the rears and tripping on their wires. I was a 45-yo with a 25-yo's set up. We ended up disconnecting the rears.

I don't need to have a second zone. But thanks for the suggestion.

I'll be looking over these additional receiver suggestions. My wife has very much better ears than I, very much appreciates the sound of the Omens, and is extremely interested in not having to listen to the TV's speakers as soon as possible. So it may be that I end up choosing what I can go and get tonight.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a cable box and HD BluRay as sources, and a Sony 55" 4K AndroidTV. We like YouTube and Netflix and we can get them either from the cable box or the TV itself. Previously we used a Harmony remote to control the system. When we got the TV it replaced a plasma monitor. As a result the way we built the system was with the Denon 3808CI as aide to the Harmony remote, and the only input to the TV was from the AVR. An optical cable conveyed the audio from the TV to the AVR when we wanted to use it for YouTube.

After changing the cable box, something went wrong and the Sony TV lost the plot. When ever we changed the "source" to the TV the Harmony commands that were supposed to switch back to anything else at the source would fail to switch the video. But we just cut back on using the Sony TV as a source because it duplicated what the new cable box could do.

Now that the AVR is dead, we are literally dying. We have been forced to connect stuff to the TV and use its built-in speakers. It still gets confused if we try to use the TV for YouTube. I think what is wrong is that there doesn't seem to be a direct command in the Sony's vocabulary for directly selecting some source. Also if you go to the internal source to use an app like Netflix, you *are* on the last input you were on. For example I had to unscramble this omelette a couple of hours ago. It was on input-1 and input-1 was what I wanted to be on, but the TV continued to display its home screen instead of the cable box. I had to cycle it around through the other 5 connections back to input 1 (4 inputs plus mirroring and terrestrial TV).

The next move is to get something hooked up so that we are using the Zu Omen tower speakers again. I have looked at the Denon AVR-S750H and it looks like a decent choice based on specs. To be honest, the Yamaha RX-V485BL could also handle this setup it seems to me. I also like the fact that there's a huge store down the road that has these and several other options, which I could just go and get.

After getting an AVR I can re-tackle the problem of controlling the TV. Should the TV have the feeds come in to it and ARC to the receiver? Will I need to disable CEC?
Was the avr stuffed into a no airflow zone like a cupboard or a rack with minimum ventilation? Do you live in a humid environment? Did the avr heat up in normal usage and has shut down a few times on its own while running?
Avr failures are rare, though not unheard of. I've heard of avr from yamaha/denon/marantz go on for years.
I've been using the yamaha for over 2 years. My vote definitely for that, but I was looking at a slightly higher price bracket (~$2000) and loved the yamaha.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the avr stuffed into a no airflow zone like a cupboard or a rack with minimum ventilation? Do you live in a humid environment? Did the avr heat up in normal usage and has shut down a few times on its own while running?
Avr failures are rare, though not unheard of. I've heard of avr from yamaha/denon/marantz go on for years.
I've been using the yamaha for over 2 years. My vote definitely for that, but I was looking at a slightly higher price bracket (~$2000) and loved the yamaha.

We have one of those low, console units that puts the TV at the right height. There is a row of fixed-height bays with 7 inches of space from the bottom surface to the ceiling. The AVR is in the center one. Below that top, center bay is a big bay with an adjustable shelf dividing the big bay into two small bays. Currently the small bays are equal height, and hold the cable box and DVD player. The dividing shelf could be moved up or down so that there was a bay the size of the top center bay and a smaller bay. As the AVR sits in its bay, its big feet give it about half an inch below, and there ends up being less than half an inch above. The cable box below the AVR is about the same height as the DVD player so it would seem to be too far away to be able to worsen the heat situation for the AVR. I don't think the layout is super great, but the AVR has been in its bay for longer than the present TV has been there on top.

We haven't had any clear AVR failures until this situation, where no external source works.

I had a Yamaha receiver before, but it had no video switching, or maybe almost no video switching. I handed it over to a friend when I got the Denon.

·
Registered
28,464 Posts
As the AVR sits in its bay, its big feet give it about half an inch below, and there ends up being less than half an inch above.
Yeah, that's not enough space at all. Find a way to adjust the shelves so that you have 2" of room and add one of these AC Infinity Cooler systems. It will suck hot air out of the receiver and blow it out the front or back depending which unit you choose.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-s10-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-blower-system-front-exhaust-17/

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-s8-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-blower-system-rear-exhaust-17/

I have a rear exhaust unit on top of my 3808CI right now, which is in a vertical AV stand. Works very well.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As the AVR sits in its bay, its big feet give it about half an inch below, and there ends up being less than half an inch above. ...but the AVR has been in its bay for longer than the present TV has been there on top.
Ah, the TV is in OPEN AIR so that should not be a shocker :rolleyes:;)
1/2" is not enough. I'd highly recommend an AC Infinity fan but I don't think that would even fit.
--> Your replacement must be shorter unless you can reconfigure shelves.
AND I'd get an AC Infinity.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We have one of those low, console units that puts the TV at the right height. There is a row of fixed-height bays with 7 inches of space from the bottom surface to the ceiling. The AVR is in the center one. Below that top, center bay is a big bay with an adjustable shelf dividing the big bay into two small bays. Currently the small bays are equal height, and hold the cable box and DVD player. The dividing shelf could be moved up or down so that there was a bay the size of the top center bay and a smaller bay. As the AVR sits in its bay, its big feet give it about half an inch below, and there ends up being less than half an inch above. The cable box below the AVR is about the same height as the DVD player so it would seem to be too far away to be able to worsen the heat situation for the AVR. I don't think the layout is super great, but the AVR has been in its bay for longer than the present TV has been there on top.

We haven't had any clear AVR failures until this situation, where no external source works.

I had a Yamaha receiver before, but it had no video switching, or maybe almost no video switching. I handed it over to a friend when I got the Denon.
Well denon are infamous for a lot of heat generation. If I were you and very adamant on the setup (don't get me wrong here ;-) ) I'd put some computer fans and screw them on the top edge of the receiver enclosure pulling air out.

Hot air rises so you'll be pulling hot air out by placing the fans on the top edge. That in turn would create a vaccum in the enclosure which would draw in cool air. I'd go for noctua industrial 10cm constant speed or disable the pwm function. It's not the tidiest of the solutions, but at this point, that looks like the only solution.

Marantz if I remember had some low profile 7 channel avr. 1607/1608 about 2 years back were brand new. You could check out the 1609
https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/shop/avreceivers/nr1609
Along with
https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-t10-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-fan-system-front-exhaust-17/
To keep your system running at an optimum Temps. Heat and electronics (soulders/silica/capacitors) don't do well together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank-you for all of the input.

We went ahead and bought the AVR-S650H. It seems to be working out well. I still have to work on the integration with the Harmony Hub.

The bays are now rearranged so that the AVR is in a big bay by itself, and some discs stored in a bay now are getting kicked out so that the two things that used to be in the big bay are in small bays. So now everything has a lot of breathing room.

The current situation means that there's a lot of subpar audio and video on TV and you can't just turn on the TV and get good technical-quality input to show off your system. We need to find a Bond movie or some cable channel showing Titanic.

And it's been two months, haven't these people found a good setup for making video from home that doesn't make it look like it was shot on an old feature phone?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thank-you for all of the input.

We went ahead and bought the AVR-S650H. It seems to be working out well. I still have to work on the integration with the Harmony Hub.

The bays are now rearranged so that the AVR is in a big bay by itself, and some discs stored in a bay now are getting kicked out so that the two things that used to be in the big bay are in small bays. So now everything has a lot of breathing room.

The current situation means that there's a lot of subpar audio and video on TV and you can't just turn on the TV and get good technical-quality input to show off your system. We need to find a Bond movie or some cable channel showing Titanic.

And it's been two months, haven't these people found a good setup for making video from home that doesn't make it look like it was shot on an old feature phone?
Congrats. Just make sure that even though the bay might be bigger, the air stagnation doesn't occur. All the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts