AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uses my Denon AVR 989 as a pre-pro, no speaker attached. I have Dynamic EQ turned on but no Dynamic Vol. If I have gain control set louder than -27 ~ -24 dB it would shut down on some really loud/dynamic passages w/ deep bass. The backlight on the power button would be flashing red. I could turn it back on immediately but it would happen again if I didn't lower the gain. It doesn't matter if I have it on for hours or from a cold start. Even if I have it on for hours and it happened the AVR is only warm to touch on top, not really that hot. Doesn't sound like it is overheating. And, since it is not driving any speaker, it shouldn't be overloaded either, I think.

If I turned on Dynamic Vol. too I can have it go as much as 0 dB.

Any idea what is the problem? Did I simply overload it even w/o any speaker attached?

Or, is it just starve of current? My temp. rental has old and crappy electric system, though. However, my other gears, including a tube preamp and a tube power amp seems to work fine. Even if I just switched on the TV + Blu-ray + 989 w/o anything else I could still trip it.

May be time to bring it in for service?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/17006686

I have seen this, but not in a pre-pro scenario. I did a microprocessor reset on my Denon, and I haven't had the issue since. Did you try resetting the microprocessor yet?

May I ask how? Thanks!

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
You do have the speakers turned OFF right??? If not that would explain heat and shut down...Especially with no load on the amps and you running a high volume...Using as a pre amp and speakers off should generate no heat and no load that causes heat...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 /forum/post/17006784

May I ask how? Thanks!

It's in your owners manual (page 63), but I will explain. With the power off, simultaneously push the power button (the little one) and the "standard" and "DSP simulation" buttons (they are under the front fold down flap).

Also, check Splicer's thoughts...Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/17006867

It's in your owners manual (page 63), but I will explain. With the power off, simultaneously push the power button (the little one) and the "standard" and "DSP simulation" buttons (they are under the front fold down flap).

Also, check Splicer's thoughts...Good Luck.

Thanks! Actually figured it out a couple of seconds ago
Just reset it and recalibrating. Will see if it actually help.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/17007009

... the frequency of the "red flashes" indicates whether it's... speaker wire/ohm issue (0.5 sec intervals)

It is the 0.5 sec interval red flash. But the thing is I have no speaker connected...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/17007082

But is the speaker circuit turned OFF??? You haven't said yet...If the speaker circuit is indeed off...both A as well as B...then it might be time to have the unit repaired...

Can you turn off the amp circuit?
Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just curious about this turn off the speakers? If they have no load why would they do anything and need to be turned off. Just never heard of nor seen this on a reciever.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The SW and both surround back channels are set to 'none'. The only speakers that are configured are FL, FR, C, SR and SL. There is no speaker connected to the 989: all speakers are hooked up to external amps. I have tried both front bi-amp (A or B) and no bi-amp but it doesn't matter (it shouldn't be since there is no load on the 989).

FYI, all three front speakers are 8 Ohm nominal loads amd the surrounds are 11 Ohm. Again, they are not connected to the 989 so I can't see this matter - the 989 is just a pre-pro in my setup. As I have mentioned the problem exist anyway even if I didn't turn on the external power amps.

I guess I can try opening it up and unplug the power supply to the power amp modules inside the 989...

·
Banned
7,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/17007121

No you can't. Although the C,SW, and surrounds can be set to none, the main amps are always ON. Are you driving 4 or 6 ohm speakers on the back end?

Well that explains ALOT...

The things I keep learning about these Denons amazes me...They are certainly like no other I have seen/used...

There is your problem then...If there is no load on the amps and the amps cannot be turned off (though I must question the logic of this on a piece of equipment that can be used for a pre amp) the unit is simply getting too hot internally and going into self protect...I just checked on my 789 and while the A channel can indeed be shut down then B is on...If B is off then A is on...What a stupid design flaw in my opinion and one not widely known about I would imagine...I can understand my 789 having that but not the 989...Just makes no sense running power to amps that aren't being used...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/17007152

Sounds like it's time for service then.

Has this EVER worked for you or is this the first time you've used the 989 as a pre-amp?

Darn!

To be honest, I just realized a couple of weeks ago that I always have Dynamic Volume turned on
I turned it off, hoping to experience the true dynamic capability of the thing in full swing at least during the day time. Then I discovered the issue. With Dynamic Vol. off I can turn up the gain to even 0 dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/17007156

There is your problem then...If there is no load on the amps and the amps cannot be turned off (though I must question the logic of this on a piece of equipment that can be used for a pre amp) the unit is simply getting too hot internally and going into self protect...

Could be... but I do not stack anything on top of it and there is at least a foot of clearing on top of the 989. May be I should try to get some dry ice to cool it down a bit just to test this theory. May be an infinite load (i.e. nothing is connected) is just too much? May be try a dummy load instead (i.e. a few 8 Ohm resistors)?

I even check, again, to see if there is any loose wire or something metallic touching the speaker terminal but no, nothing is. Doesn't seem to be a short (and if it were the 989 should be done by now no matter what gain level it is at).

Well, the three receivers that I have used as a pre-pro don't let you disable/turn off the power amp section even when it is idle. But this is the first time an AVR shut itself off into protection mode when I turn the gain up a bit w/o any speaker attached. My old Yamaha V1200, Elite 59TXi and Denon 988 seems to be fine. In fact, with the Elite I can turn it up as much as I can bear even when it is driving the center and surround speakers...

May be time for a pre-pro like the upcoming Emotiva or Outlaw?

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/17007121

No you can't. Although the C,SW, and surrounds can be set to none, the main amps are always ON.

This is what I thought, my reciever has preout but there is no way to shut down the internal amps. To me this would make no sense to even need to shut them down. If I am thinking this right unless there is power being transmitted out through + and then back to - then there is no flow through the amp really. It would be as if it was not being sent a signal. Hence not seeing how this could be heating up the internal overload.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts

Quote:
To me this would make no sense to even need to shut them down.

It makes perfect sense from an energy management stand point to route power only to the necessary components...Onkyo for example allows the speakers A & B to be both shut down at the same time...It just makes sense...An analogy I would use would be when cooking your dinner in the oven...The stove top doesn't need to be on for the oven to do its job...Well the amps don't need to be on when used in a pre-pro configuration...

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare /forum/post/17007111

Just curious about this turn off the speakers? If they have no load why would they do anything and need to be turned off. Just never heard of nor seen this on a reciever.

The receiver doesn't see it as "no load." It sees it as infinite load--an open circuit. That causes it to freak out, as it needs to send infinite current to maintain the voltage with an infinite resistance. As it's incapable of doing this, and knows better than to try, it shuts itself off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.