AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had some difficulties with my denon 989 that I just got. My last problem is that I can't seem to get my sub to play during music/movies. However when I do the test tones, it will play correctly. I'm using a Hsu vtf 3.3 turbo. Previously I had a 2.3 and we deemed it defective after it made some odd noises, but I'm positive the new sub is just fine.

I've set my sub to ON and LFE in the manual set up, and the picture on my receiver shows the FL, FR, and SW lit up during play back. The crossover is set to 80hz. If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

Edit: could it be a firmware issue?

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
no it's not firmware.

how many speakers do you have? it sounds like you are running a 2.1 setup, correct (FL/FR/SW)?

let's go with the basics: what source are you using? what surround mode are you using? how is everything connected, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive tried both a playstation 3 and an xbox 360 as my sources. at the moment ive got the fronts, a center, and a sub hooked up. the center isnt a concern, it works when i change up the modes to include it. so far ive tried in dolby digital, pure direct, simulation, and in stereo mode. everything is hdmi, subwoofer with a rca interconnect.

can we rule out that the receiver is bad since i did get the test tone just fine?

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
so the subwoofer is not playing when receiving a multichannel signal (like Dolby Digital) over HDMI? even on a movie with DD or DTS 5.1? or is it only with 2-channel sources?

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
that's bizarre. I suggest trying a microprocessor reset, and then reset the speaker settings (Sub = "YES" in MANUAL SETUP > SPEAKER SETUP) and try again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did the reset, I got test tones from the sub, but I still couldn't get anything during playback. Would that indicate a defective sub?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops I meant defective receiver.

Anyways, good news, switching the sub setting from LFE to LFE + Main made the sub work after doing the reset!

So after pulling my hair out over this, I gotta ask, why did that work?

Also, where do you have your crossover set?

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
no, not really. it's not exactly obvious.

the "large" vs "small" setting is not about the physical size of the speakers, it's about telling the receiver whether you want it to perform "bass management" or not.

if a speaker is set as "small", all bass below the designated crossover frequency will be sent to the sub.

if a speaker is set to "large", you are telling the receiver that it can handle the full range and so nothing will be sent to the sub except for dedicated LFE content.

So when the sub was set to "LFE" and the speakers were set to "large", the sub wasn't reproducing anything because the main speakers were getting full range. I bet if you put in a movie with a solid LFE track (like an action movie with explosions) the sub would have kicked in. But with, say, 2-channel music, there is no LFE track so there is nothing for the sub to produce.

When you set it to "LFE+MAIN", this is effectively a "double bass" setting, so the sub will double up the bass from the "large" main speakers. So, now you hear the sub on everything because it's "doubling up" the bass below the crossover point.

In general, for home theatre multichannel content, you want all speakers set to "small" so the sub can be dedicated to the low freq's.

Have you tried running Audyssey? You should go through that and see what it measures for your speakers, they may be better served set to "small".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, right before I switched to LFE + Main and right after the reset, I popped in finding nemo, the darla tap scene (go big or go home right?) and the sub did produce the LFE. So once I set all speakers to SMALL, I should leave the sub on LFE only, and I'll be good to go? Also what do you recommend I put the crossover at?

I'll be adding the 4 surrounds very soon and then I'm going to run the audessy calibration. I did notice the sub didn't exactly sound like what everyone says a HSU should sound like (musical and awesome). Maybe it was because my towers were being doubled up. So I'm guessing I'll see a big improvement after the audessy mic set up and after I switch everything to small?

·
Registered
820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15478528

no, not really. it's not exactly obvious.

When you set it to "LFE+MAIN", this is effectively a "double bass" setting, so the sub will double up the bass from the "large" main speakers. So, now you hear the sub on everything because it's "doubling up" the bass below the crossover point.

Now this raises an interesting question. If the speakers are set to 'large' or 'full range', there is no crossover point. So when you use the 'LFE+Main' or 'Double Bass', which frequencies from the front L/R are sent to the subwoofer? It can't be below the crossover point, because there isn't one. Curious, isn't it?

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
if the speakers are SMALL it doesn't matter what the LFE setting is, it's only relevant for speakers set to LARGE.

it's hard to say what the xover should be, totally depends on your speakers/room. Even if you haven't added surrounds yet, go ahead and run Audyssey and see what it measures your speakers at. I think you will definitely hear an improvement in the Sub because not only will the fronts not be trying to double up the bass, but Audyssey EQ's the subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Yes set all speakers to small and sub to yes and LFE only. Start by setting your crossover at 80Hz for all speakers. I would also recommend running Audyssey with only the speakers you have since it measures and sets speaker distances and equalizer settings. Just re-run it after you get your new surrounds in place. Be aware, that Audyssey will likely set your speakers as "large" or "full-range", and you will have to manually change them after running it.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert /forum/post/15478864

Now this raises an interesting question. If the speakers are set to 'large' or 'full range', there is no crossover point. So when you use the 'LFE+Main' or 'Double Bass', which frequencies from the front L/R are sent to the subwoofer? It can't be below the crossover point, because there isn't one. Curious, isn't it?

You still set a crossover frequency in the menus, it just acts as the "double bass" point for speakers set to large. You are correct in that technically it's no longer a "crossover" at that point, but Denon won't win any awards for the internal logical consistency of their menus and manuals.

For example, if you have your Front L/R set to "LARGE" and the crossover set to "80Hz" for the fronts, it will just double up the bass below 80Hz for subs + mains.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, seems like things should be smooth from here with my receiver. batpig you've definitely got my gratitude. Thank you for the help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts