AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am receiving no satellite stations (just black screens, with no messages on the bottom of the screen), but my signal strengths are between 70 and 100 for all transponders for Sat A,B,C. My local digital channels are coming in fine. After 1 hour on the phone with customer service, the conclusion is my access card has gone bad and they will FedEx me a new one. Does this sound correct?

Also, I have an original Mits HD receiver and an old dish. Within the last few months, I have had cables die, connectors break and dish problems. Technicians have responded to my house at least 5 times in the last 2 months. Luckily I do have the DIRECTV protection plan. If the card is not the problem, I am ready to demand that DIRECTV replaces my whole system. Do you think they will?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,645 Posts
I would try removing the card and unplugging the unit, let it sit for awhile, half hour or so, and go at it from scratch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Since there is no message, it is not your access card. Sounds like you now have a hardware problem with your STB (the LNB control IC).

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharon L
I am ready to demand that DIRECTV replaces my whole system. Do you think they will?
Not unless you just bought it recently from Direct TV themselves.

As they have no reason to warranty the stuff if you bought somewhere else, other than the access card.

If it's fairly new (30 days or so) and defective in some way, you may be able to return it for a exchange from where you bought it.

Otherwise it would have to be done under the warranty provisions of whatever brand of equipment it is.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already performed the typical unplug wait 20 Minutes and reboot and check all of the connections, etc routines. No luck. My system and receiver are several years old, but the protection plan is like an extended warranty. It covers everything, including HDTV receivers. The plan has easily paid for itself because of all of the problems I have had lately.

1. What exactly is the "LNB control IC". Since I am getting normal signal strengths I am assuming that there is a problem with the receiver, not the dish, connectors or cables this time. Is this a correct assumption?

2. Has anyone had their access card go bad with the same symptoms of mine?

3. Has anyone actually used the protection plan to replace a bad HDTV receiver? How long did it take for DIRECTV to send you a new one?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is your bill paid up to date?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had Directv installed yesterday; into my brand new Samsung ts-160 receiver and 50" DLP. All of the channel packages I ordered worked fine except the HD channels. The screen said "channel not available" on all of the HD channels. After calling customer service and trying the unplug for 15 seconds routine, they said my card is bad, will not detect HD signals, so they are overnight mailing me a new card. I'll keep you posted whether this fixes the problem. It was quite a let down after dropping all this money, waiting several weeks for the tv, and then another week and a half for the install and now having to wait some more to watch HDTV.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If your receiver is a HD5, try this:

Hard reboot for HD5:

Uncheck local OTA channels. Exit via 'Done' Set 'Local 1' to 'None'. Done

Clear zip code. Done

Update guide. (Automatic)

Exit menus via 'Done'.

Exit main menu via 'Video'.

Turn off receiver and TV.

Unplug receiver and detach satellite input. Replug and reattach after 2 minutes.

Turn on receiver and TV.

Set 'Local 1' to 'Antenna'.

Scan local channels.

Insert zip code.

Hope for desired results

·
Super Moderator
18,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dogstar23
The screen said "channel not available" on all of the HD channels.
What does the channel banner (the line at the TOP of the screen) say when you tune to NASA (376)? Generally, if you see "Channel not available" at the TOP of the screen, it means that the STB isn't configured for multisatellite service (Oval Dish - 3LNB). If you see the proper video on NASA and the channel banners at the top are correct for it and the HD channels, but there's an error message at the BOTTOM, then it could be your card or some other issue, depending on the wording of the message.

Doc

·
Super Moderator
18,621 Posts
I assume, then, NASA is okay and that the banners at the top match the channels you're tuning to.

Doc

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dapope, Why the little snide remark. Wouldn't you get tired of having something break constantly. Sooner or later it will be cheaper for DIRECTV to replace my system all at one than keep coming to my house replacing it piece meal.

Yes, all banners and guides are O.K.

Dogstar, my neighbor had the same problem with the same receiver and DIRECTV also said it was the card. The problem was that the installers never switched the satellite to Oval, 3 LNB. Have you checked that?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
My system and receiver are several years old, but the protection plan is like an extended warranty. It covers everything, including HDTV receivers. The plan has easily paid for itself because of all of the problems I have had lately.
Well that's different, as you did not mention before that you had the protection plan.

In that case, if the equipment is bad, they would do whatever the terms of the plan say about such things. As it could be new, or it could be re-furbs that they send you if anything needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had this same thing happen to me (local digital channels worked fine, sat strength was fine, guide was fine, but no picture on sat stations) on Sunday -- during all the football games :( -- Anyway I called DirecTV and they sent me a new card via FedEx. I reluctantly plugged it in last night and it fixed the problem. They should send you a new one free of charge since they are giving everyone new cards soon anyway.

Fletch

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The new card arrived this evening. As soon as I plugged in the new card messages began to appear again on the screen. After the phone call everything is up again, just in time to be blown away by Isabel.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
How would I tell? Does the different type of card mean anything?
No, not to people who are honest it don't mean anything.

Only the people who may be wanting to or are "hacking/pirating" the signals, have a reason to care about what kind of cards they are or may be.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
No, not to people who are honest it don't mean anything.
That's not entirely true. A lot of people, myself included, get tired of switching out cards on all their receivers in the house everytime D* decides to try and eliminate a particular data stream.

In this case, they might have sent a hash down the line to "kill" her HU card because they don't want her using it anymore. Then they pretend they don't know what happened and claim the card "must have gone bad".

So she gets serious service interruption so D* can finish their card swap.

·
Super Moderator
18,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mullet34
They might have sent a hash down the line to "kill" her HU card because they don't want her using it anymore.
Not to stick up for D*, but I haven't heard of this being intentionally done to a paying customer. In the cases I'm familiar with, customers get the replacement cards, first, and a month-long grace period to make the swap. The process is quite easy and not much of a bother at all. That's not to say anti-piracy measures haven't caught some legitimate subscribers, but I don't think it's the norm by any means.

Doc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.