AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola Everyone,

I want to do a simple DIY A/V Distribution. After lots of research I've come to the conclusion that Monoprice is the way to go without paying a fortune. So I've sketched out a diagram for my A/V. Can you guys take a look at it and look for any problems or suggestions?

My biggest concern is the Cat6 adapters. I went Cat6 because it is much much easier to run then a massive HDMI cable. Should I reconsider a long HDMI cable?

Here is the Monoprice item # for all the items (tried doing links but haven't reached 3 posts yet):

Matrix: 5312

Wall Plates: 8008

Cat6: 5905

HDMI Cables: 3872

Thanks!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnewbie
Hola Everyone,

I want to do a simple DIY A/V Distribution. After lots of research I've come to the conclusion that Monoprice is the way to go without paying a fortune. So I've sketched out a diagram for my A/V. Can you guys take a look at it and look for any problems or suggestions?

My biggest concern is the Cat6 adapters. I went Cat6 because it is much much easier to run then a massive HDMI cable. Should I reconsider a long HDMI cable?

Here is the Monoprice item # for all the items (tried doing links but haven't reached 3 posts yet):

Matrix: 5312

Wall Plates: 8008

Cat6: 5905

HDMI Cables: 3872

Thanks!
Looks good.

What are you going to use for control?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

The wall plates come with IR extenders but I need to make a run between the plates. What kind of cable would you suggest? I saw some one used 3.5mm stereo audio cable. Would the IR work for dual band?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Control choices are always a tough thing to get ahold of. Xantech makes nice IR repeaters and connecting blocks for just this. I would, however, pick an RF solution like URC. I think MX-450's are the entry level maybe. It has a color screen and RF to their IR base stations.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You could also do IR over Cat5e like this: Hot Link Xl CAT-5 Ir Repeater System

I haven't used it but I'm planning a setup much like yours and its what I intend to use. Its a bit more money than some of the monoprice solutions but its very highly reviewed, easy to setup and reliable. I would also recommend putting at least one extra cat5e cable so in the future you can run a USB extender and add an HTPC as a source.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you considered using the BOCS device for RF remotes? This system is intended for SD distribution vs analog modulation (and that is what I originally used it for) but the RF remotes are cheap and very good. They have the following advantages:

1) The 'base station' has individual 'non-blaster' outputs -- so you can control multiple identical devices (such as 2 cable boxes).

2) The remotes have great range, yet the batteries last forever.

3) Multiple remotes can be paired to a single base station. I don't know of another solution that allows this -- but it is ideal when distributing a single signal to multiple rooms.

4) The remotes can have 'macros' allowing control of both the local TV input select as well as the remote matrix select with a single button.

5) The remotes are simple -- no lcd screen or anything -- and this makes it easy for all in the household to use them.

6) Most of the 'learning' is done in the base unit. So when you get add a new remote, you just have program what it needs for the local TV. No programming for the centralized gear.

7) Did I mention they are cheap -- $99 for the base unit + 1 remote and about $55 for each subsequent remote. You'll get the analog modulation HW as well -- but you don't need to use that.

I've been very happy with this solution. I have 2 Tivos and a HTPC feeding 4 TV's over 3 floors via a 4x4 matrix. I'm using 4 of these remotes -- one local to each TV. The base station and gear is in an enclosed cabinet with no reception issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.