AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the big room thread in the rooms sections, but here I'll copy the relevant posts. Feel free to ask questions.

2013 has been a year of upgrading.

Old setup:

Projector: Sharp Notevision Projector (XR41X)

Screen: The wall - Recently a piece of matte white backdrop paper

So I had a "projector" room, but it was time to upgrade. I had the bug for a new projector for quite some time, and after selling one of my toys, I figured it'd be a reasonable trade.

I browsed the forums and web and found a great DIY tutorial. I copied their design and it worked out great.

1x3" Poplar for the frame:

Biscuit Time

[/URL

Routing a channel in the back side allowed the use of aluminum spline channels used for window screen materials. Again I found this online and had to copy it. The channels were available at Home Depot and I used a hack saw to cut them to size. They allowed the screen to be tensioned with the ability to later easily remove it.

I don't have any pictures, but I chose to use a 3M Spray adhesive to cover the frame boards with the black velvet material. I used brackets in addition to the biscuits to hold the frame together, and would later use Hang Man brackets to mount it to the wall.

The material is a simple piece of blackout cloth.

Here's the first series of tensioning the screen:

Here it is up on the wall!

Ok so the video was up to par now.

Tony approved:

Thanks for reading and if you have questions let me know!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,841 Posts
Pretty nice project 351carlo

Glad to see you chose BOC and not some Mfg Screen cloth.

The Frame w/Biscuits and Splines is superb. And perhaps someday, a switch to a coated BOC application can be your next significant upgrade. With your build, it will be neither difficult or expensive.

Once again....a great job!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1471428/my-diy-screen#post_23281844

Pretty nice project 351carlo

Glad to see you chose BOC and not some Mfg Screen cloth.

The Frame w/Biscuits and Splines is superb. And perhaps someday, a switch to a coated BOC application can be your next significant upgrade. With your build, it will be neither difficult or expensive.

Once again....a great job!

Thanks MM. I am a student first and foremost, although out of school quite a few years. I read many of your posts in preparation, and do plan a more elaborate screen later utilizing a hard composite backer and painted surface. For this first application, I figured the basic screen would allow me to switch out and test things easily. If I want to make a Sintra backing, I need only mount it to the frame. If I choose an A/T material, I can swap it out as well.

If I switch rooms, I will consider a 2.35 ratio screen with some sort of motorized black out side curtains.

Ah the project will indeed be never ending!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great job. I like the spline. Next screen I do will have it included. Like you say, it just keeps on going. We always have a new screen to make. Such fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts