AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used two very hard plastic flanges and a 12" piece of hard platic pipe to make the majority of the mount. This is dark gray PVC that seems very strong. Got it from Lowes. The flanges, for some reason, are VERY expensive at $7 each! The pipe was only a couple bucks. I cut out a piece of 1/4" thick oak plywood I had lying around the garage to actualy hold the projector with (3) M6 bolts in the factory mounting holes. I left a large gap between the mounting plate and projector so I could run the component and power cables. The pipe appears to just disappear through a hole in the ceiling. In the attic I have another flange holding the other end of the pipe to another larger piece of 1/4" plywood that is screwed down across a couple of 2x6 ceiling joists. I only had an hour or so to watch some movies on a white bed sheet. Even then, it looks great! I still have to adjust the lens/image as I have some outward keystoning on the lower right corner of the picture. Later...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next pic...

·
Registered
173 Posts
That plywood looks thicker than 1/4", more like 1/2". Seems like 1/4" would bend way to easily to be useful. I used 3/4", but if it's working for you and I'm wrong about it being thicker, then I guess it doesn't really matter. You could potentially purchase a white plastic escutcheon plate that would slide over the pipe on your mount, sit flush with the ceiling, and give a more finished look if your hole isn't perfect.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right. It is more like 3/8" thick :)

I used a hole-saw to make the hole. The hole is just a tiny bit bigger than the pipe. A couple things I'd like to change: (1)the white I painted it is TOO white - I want it to match the ceiling color & (2) I want to round off the corners of the mounting plate to gice it a softer look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.