AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy the new 1080P 67" Samsung DLP and use it also as a computer monitor. Will I have trouble reading the text? Can I configure my planned HTPC ATI x800 video card to display correctly without loosing any information on screen?

OR should I get a different display and or video card to make this work out. Thanks for your comments...

Gary R :confused:

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The Samsung has a VGA connection and there is a section in the user manual on using the system with a PC you should have no problems.

·
Registered
285 Posts
IMHO, use the DVI/HDMI connection so that your signal remains digital all the way to the screen. ATI drivers now let you easily adjust the desktop size to eliminate overscan so you won't have part of your desktop cut off around the edges.

With a 67" display you shouldn't have trouble reading the text as long as you sit close enough to the screen.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The current Samsung 1080p series does not accept 1080p signal on HDMI. If you try, it will say Unsupport Mode. It will only give you 1080i which makes the text blurry. VGA works, with some underscan. Read the owner's threads for more details.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi Garyall,

I have the Samsung 6168 connected to my HTPC via a UXVGA cord. I have a Nvidia 6600 GT video card, outputting 1920 x 1080p @ 60Hz. Between tweeking the video card an tv settings, I have no overscan or underscan. (nothing noticable to me, anyway)

I did learn that you have to set the Nvidia control panel tv setting to "Force TV Detection" before I could get 1920 x 1080. Also, I recommend getting a UXVGA cord which allows for higher resolutions.

Picture quality is great! Text is clear. I mainly use Firefox as my browser because of their zoom function make small text more visable on web pages. I am sure that ATI has good HDTV support, too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks cyberscott....

I am building this for my parents and want them to be able to surf the web read e-mail and watch videos... I will look into buying the Nvidia card instead of the ATI if I cannot verify that the ATI will work. I do want to be able to set up the text to large so that they can read the messages as their eyesight is not that good. My hope is that with the large text and large display they will be OK.

Gary R

·
Registered
659 Posts
I use Firefox beause their text size settings allow the text to be zoomed in to just about any size, more than Microsoft Internet Explorer. Be advised that the zoom fuction works only on text, not pictures. Since I got my Samsung last week, I haven't used my 19' monitor! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.