AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for weeks now i've been convinced that i can only get 1 HD channel with the antennas i've been using. i've been out of town a while so i haven't been able to fool around with it as much as i've wanted this month, until i went to TitanTV today and saw that all of my other local digital channels are on channel #'s over 12.....NBC is in at 10. BUT, my F38310's digital tuner (a DTC100) only wants to scroll through channels 1-12 (the analog and digital for each - with NBC and some public access analogs coming in)....anyway, how can i force the TV to "see" the other channels out there? i am not using the receiver yet with an oval dish, just for locals. is there a setup issue here?

like i said, i'm out of town right now so i haven't been able to try manually entering in the number. most people i talked to thought it was strange i was only getting NBC anyway, since it was the furthest away from me. The fact it's the only channel # under 12 i was getting, and i couldn't scroll through numbers any higher (like 36, 54, etc) makes me very suspicious that i AM able to get these channels with little problem (with something like the radioshack bowtie)

any help appreciated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You may want to do a search on this forum to find out how to turn the channel mapping off. I used to not be able to receive some digital channels while the channel mapping was on, but once I turned it off they appeared. I do not remember which menu options you have to go through, and I no longer have my DTC-100. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
BUT, my F38310's digital tuner (a DTC100) only wants to scroll through channels 1-12 (the analog and digital for each -
Have you done a channel search with your receiver set for "Air" rather than "Cable"?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If you turn off "Get OTA Guide info" the set will stop re-mapping channels. Then you need to do a channel scan. Note that if your stations are in different locations then you will have to turn your antenna and re-scan. i lost a few stations when I first got this set and thought there was a problem with the transmitter, but it had something to do with the re-mapping. If I re-map I loose the sub channels on my ABC station. Weird. I just leave the stations unmapped and all is fine.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well guys, i am in IDIOT!!

with the GE MAx outdoor antenna i just bought, i tried it out indoors and was getting NBC Digitally at the same strength i had with the bowtie (peaked at 70, not sure if this is acceptably high or not).

Then did the OTA Channel search with the RCA, and low and behold i have all the local digital channels :)

It also seems to sense slots for future HD channels after the scan.

Nothing seemed to be actual HD, and whatever football game was on was "squeezed"...looks like "welcome to the world of local channel engineers not getting the ratios right". At least the upconversion looked good, especially on NBC.

Later tonight when i get a chance i'm going to take it outside and see what kind of signal boost i can get. All of my channels are hovering in the low to mid 60's (with NBC at 70).

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus

It also seems to sense slots for future HD channels after the scan.
What do you see that makes you think it "sense slots for future HD channels"?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basically, i see a lot of "digital" channels in my guide after the OTA channel search I did that turned out are blank channels. they are random numbers, but i am doubting my first thought about them being "future slots" because i don't think it works that way (for ota). all of the analog channels my search picked up are there (as faint as some of them are)....my next best guess is that they're distant digitals my antenna picked up somehow even though i can't watch them (i'm in atlanta....maybe it was sensing macon, athens, chatanooga.....)

still trying to find a place in the room where i can get the 4 networks digitally without too much falloff. i found one place (under the couch!!!!) that had 2 peaking at the high 60's and the others in the 40's and not as stable. i was able to lock two at 70 (the highest my DTC100 internal receiver in my tv seems to get, at least indoors) but the other 2 fell off hard. Looks like the outdoor test comes tomorrow :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If you look at the signal strength screen all those blank Digital channels might show a low signal or a dash. I find I need at least 25 to get a watch-able signal. If there is some sort of digital signal, even one that is very low, a channel will show up in the guide. So you may have more channels available than you think. Have you looked at Titan or Antenna web to see what is available? It might be worth the investment for get a good outdoor antenna if there are a significant number of channels available to you.

·
Registered
707 Posts
For what it's worth, on my F38310, I need about 35-40 to get a locked signal. Anything higher than that is rock solid. I have an outdoor antenna (CM 4248) just to get one very weak station here in Denver. The other three would come in fine with a RS double bow-tie indoors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.