AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded nearly everything and wanted to run my wiring intentions mainly for my DV79Avi for possible conflicts I may have.

Display: Pioneer 5080

Receiver: Onkyo TXSR-805 (3 HDMI inputs)

Direct TV HR20 - HDMI to T.V., optical out to receiver (Most TV watched with stock plasma speaker, reciver usually used for watching sports and occasional movie)

Panasonic BluRay BD10 - Hooked up HDMI to receiver

Toshiba XA2 - Hooked up HDMI to receiver

DV79AVi mainly used for SACD and CD's (occasional DVD) - HDMI to receiver, multi-channel outputs to receiver, and optical output to receiver.

I'm torn in using the multichannel input on my receiver for BluRay BD10 lossless audio or my Universal player for SACD playback.

Is there any reason I need the optical output from the DV79Avi? There should be no problem doing all my CD listening (SACD or reglar CD) over Multi-Channel correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think I'd go ahead and hook up the DVD player via the MC inputs, especially if you're only using it for SACD and CD. The way you list your setup sounds good to me.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinleyJake /forum/post/12991026

I'm torn in using the multichannel input on my receiver for BluRay BD10 lossless audio or my Universal player for SACD playback.

You can use the receiver's multichannel inputs for both if you're willing to use a simple A/V switcher (or switchers) slightly unconventionally. For example, there is a widely available Phillips A/V switcher that is often used or this. Each of its 3 inputs and its output has:

3 component video ins/outs

2 R/L analog audio ins/outs

1 composite video in/out

For a total of 6 ins/outs that can be used simultaneously to switch between 2 6-channel analog devices.

But, can you not use your BR player's HDMI connection for lossless audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinleyJake /forum/post/12991026

Is there any reason I need the optical output from the DV79Avi? There should be no problem doing all my CD listening (SACD or reglar CD) over Multi-Channel correct?

You can decode EVERYTHING (this includes CDs and your DD/DTS DVDs, too) via your player's multichannel analog outputs if you'd like. But is there a reason you don't want to or can't connect the player via a digital connection as well? Often times your receiver will offer better time and bass management capabilities than your player will for not only your DVDs, but your CDs, too. Otherwise, the only issue you MAY have with using the multichannel analog connection for your CDs is that most receivers multichannel analog inputs cannot be time or bass managed at all, which means you must rely upon the player for this, and as I said, often times receivers offer better and more flexible time and bass management capabiltities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts