AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to think that my dvb418 is on the way out. It seems to hang on dvd-rw discs more and more. Can someone give a recommendation on what can replace this player? I like it quite a bit because it plays almost all my divx and xvid files.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruuth /forum/post/13015212

I'm starting to think that my dvb418 is on the way out. It seems to hang on dvd-rw discs more and more. Can someone give a recommendation on what can replace this player? I like it quite a bit because it plays almost all my divx and xvid files.

Price range? Connection method?

I would open up the box, blow out any dust (paying particular attention to the laser) and reseat the connectors and chips.

-Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, sorry, I should have been more specific:

I want something that has HDMI and component, preferably upscaling through component

price should be 40-100

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruuth /forum/post/13018271

Ah, sorry, I should have been more specific:

I want something that has HDMI and component, preferably upscaling through component

price should be 40-100

I think you can get a used Oppo 970 in that range. Check the classifieds here, as well as ebay.

Upscaling of copy-protected discs over component is getting hard to find. It's no longer allowed for reasons of Digital Rights Management. There is a utility to hack the 970 firmware to circumvent the restriction. See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=832356

-Bill

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruuth /forum/post/13020226

Does it play as much as the lg does?

You mean file formats? It plays divx and xvid, sacd and dvd-a.

If you don't need upscaling of copy-protected discs over component, I would recommend the Oppo 980 which replaces the 970. There is no firmware hack for it, though. $169 new, somewhat less refurbished from Oppo. You have to call to see if they have any.

-Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts