AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Philips DVDR 80 Recorder is no longer working, and I probably have a hundred disks that I recorded but haven't finalized. These disks are not playable on my other two DVD players as they have not been finalized. The disks are all DVD+R.

My question is: will I be able to finalize these disks on another DVD recorder? Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Maybe if you buy or borrow another Philips you can. I know that I can't finalize my disc's between my Panasonic and Pioneer recorders. I have to use the recorder that was used to record. Maybe some type of computer program might be able too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If Philips is like Panasonic, then newer models can finalize discs made on older models - but not necessarily vice-versa. My new Panasonic E500 will finalize DVDs I make on my old Panasonic HS2, but DVDs I make on the E500 will not finalize (or even play before finalizing) on the older HS2.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Check your local Best Buy stores to see if they still have any Magnavox recorders. Magnavox is owned by Philips and are basically a stripped-down version of Philips recorders. These should be able to play and finalize your discs.

I've seen them on sale for $150 and Open Box models for as little as $100. You can always return them if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had a bunch of +R unfinalized discs from a LiteOn machine when it crapped out. I knew my next machine would be a -R machine (Panny) so I put the discs in box looking for a solution.

I have been able to recover many of them using the PC with Isobuster and the TDA authoring software. (In fact, I am recovering some Night Gallery episodes as I write this). Depending on the situation with the disc, you may be able to recover using the free version of Isobuster. Other situations require the paid version of the disc. I'm still only using the free version setting aside those that say the paid version is required for recovery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.