AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Sony DVD Recorders. My oldest one recorded off any channel. I got the newer 1 when my 1st one was getting tempermental. I've used the air can etc. Bought myself another 1 1/1 years off of it. Took it apart to clean it & it's a No Go.

So upset the newer one says Copyright on all my premium channels. That's why I Pay for these channels. To have shows to watch later. I tried rewiring thru the old one & the vcr.....still nada

I heard about the Grex advanced digital stabilizer. Should I get this & is it good? Don't care about HD. Regular digital is fine for me as long as sound & lips match. lol Or should I pay to have my oldest Sony fixed..... so bummed

Also what software can I use on my laptop to copy rented movies.

Thankyou

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Lyrics /forum/post/18261692

I have 2 Sony DVD Recorders. My oldest one recorded off any channel. I got the newer 1 when my 1st one was getting tempermental. I've used the air can etc. Bought myself another 1 1/1 years off of it. Took it apart to clean it & it's a No Go.

So upset the newer one says Copyright on all my premium channels. That's why I Pay for these channels. To have shows to watch later. I tried rewiring thru the old one & the vcr.....still nada

I heard about the Grex advanced digital stabilizer. Should I get this & is it good? Don't care about HD. Regular digital is fine for me as long as sound & lips match. lol Or should I pay to have my oldest Sony fixed..... so bummed

Thankyou

What part of this statement did you not understand?? We do not allow the chat on copying of software.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Newer Sony DVDRs are nothing like your older DVDR, same with companies like Toshiba, JVC and to a lesser degree Panasonic. The new Sonys will post a prohibited warning on just about everything you're trying to copy.

Usually the cost of professionally repairing a older DVDR is not cost effective and Sony is about the worst of them all, even refusing to carry parts for their older products.

Since were talking about Sony those CP warnings may real or imagined, Sonys have been known to report CP warnings on home movies!

If you want to keep the Sony a filter like the Grex will allow your Sony to record everything it's fed, otherwise DVDRs like Panasonic don't suffer from false CP warnings but if it's a real CP even a Panasonic won't record it(except with the aid of something like the Grex).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been having a lot of problems with my Panasonic and I wanted to get a new recorder, but I am worried about this copyright issue, too. I don't record movies or anything, but if there is a TV show I want, will I get a copyright notice?

I think I will avoid SONY, but how bad is Toshiba? ANy suggetion of what to get? I went to two stores and out of both, only ONE had a standalone dvd recorder.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgem /forum/post/18263129

I don't record movies or anything, but if there is a TV show I want, will I get a copyright notice?

It depends. Some might have legit "no copy" flags set (I think some premium PPV might), some don't but have commercials that do (probably because of licensed music or some such) that will kill the recording right in the middle of the show. And some recorders are just so sensitive that they'll "see" a flag that isn't even there. So it's a crap shoot.

Panasonics, as mentioned, will ignore most false warnings. If it's got a true flag set, though, you'll need a video stabilizer like the Grex unit. Sony and Toshiba are reportedly the worst. Their recorders have been criticized as being "DVD players" since they get tripped up by nonexistent copy protection.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Lyrics /forum/post/18261692

Thankyou

There has been a lot of talk about the Grex and other filters on this forum, just do a search. They do work. I have 4 different kinds. Grex is the cheapest.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 /forum/post/18264655

There has been a lot of talk about the Grex and other filters on this forum, just do a search. They do work. I have 4 different kinds. Grex is the cheapest.

cheapest and the best

I have used grex and I like it very much

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
LOL, yeah, really... I had a Toshiba before going to my Magnavox, and I believe that Toshie is NOT as picky as Sony or Samsung recorders are, last I checked. All I did was just take a composite connection from my cable box into my DR-400's L1 input, and voila. I believe that Magnavox uses the same software that Toshiba used (at least the menus look identical), so I can probably test that out by doing a composite connection into the L1 on my H2160A unit, and see what happens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem and any regular tv shows would have the same problem. Since 1985 I have recorded things and watched later as I rarely watch anything live.

I have to use a roundabout way so I can record my shows to watch later when I go on trips. It is frustrating especially since I am the only one to watch them.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 /forum/post/18264655

I bought this device Grex quite inexpensive. It justifies itself completely. I have no any problems with the recording.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgem /forum/post/18263129

I think I will avoid SONY, but how bad is Toshiba? ANy suggetion of what to get? I went to two stores and out of both, only ONE had a standalone dvd recorder.

Current Toshibas are pretty lame, they come from the same factory as Magnavox but use crummier copyright specifications. The best recorder available now in the US, and the only one worth buying really, is the Magnavox H2160. You might stlll be able to grab a refurbished/like new unit from J&R Electronics online for $159, if those are sold out try Wal*Mart website where it sells brand new for $198. It was discontinued last month because a newer similar model will be released soon, if you can't find the H2160 anywhere just wait for the new model MDR513H which is expected to sell for around $238. The Magnavox models include both DVD and internal hard drive recorders, the hard drive makes day-to-day recording much easier because you don't have to bother at all with eraseable DVDs. The hard drive can hold 60 hours of high quality recordings, when you want a permanent DVD-R copy of anything the machine can high speed copy 1-4 hours of material onto DVD in 15-20 mins. Magic!

The only current Panasonic with a tuner that does not have major issues is the DMR-EZ28, its a decent recorder but for the money the Magnavox offers the fantastically useful hard drive feature, making it a far better deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts